LPG/Autogas Conversions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blicky_1

Car
BMW F10 520d M-Sport
Well guys I have finally had enough of petrol prices (30000mls per year) and have ordered a LPG Autogas conversion for my E200 Kompressor!!

35-40p Ltr Cant wait until the first fill up less than 1/2 price!!

Estimated I will be £200-250 better off per month, cost of install is £1600 but on the mileage I do that will be paid back in less than 8 mths.

The garage installing the equipment are so busy (because of the high fuel prices) I have had to book 5 weeks in advance!!!

Do any of you have LPG or know of anyone using it?? I test drove a S500 that had just been done and could notice no difference when switching between petrol/LPG.

W140 or 220 S class? (square or 'melted' headlights)

Have been intereted in finding someone who's done this on my car...

I'm interested in this too for a larger V8 merc.

My only question is does a switch to LPG reduce the available performance of the car?

guydewdney said:
W140 or 220 S class? (square or 'melted' headlights)

Have been intereted in finding someone who's done this on my car...

I'm no expert on 's' classes but it was a 'p' reg??

david_h said:
I'm interested in this too for a larger V8 merc.

My only question is does a switch to LPG reduce the available performance of the car?

Well I could not notice the difference but the manufactures say a 'slight' decrease in performance is noticed.

Saying that if you wanted to go out a give your car a good thrashing or have a burn up at the traffic lights with someone you could just switch it back over to petrol, when you have finished switch back over to LPG :D

Chaps, I got the ML320 converted 4 months ago.
I can now travel 400 miles for £36 without any performance issues.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Simon

Seamster.. Who did you get to fit it for you?

Seems to be a problem finding reliable people who can do the job, and then service it.

Also... any teething problems after the install?

:)

Madferrit said:
Seamster.. Who did you get to fit it for you?

Seems to be a problem finding reliable people who can do the job, and then service it.

Also... any teething problems after the install?

:)

its been great so far... we have done 6k on gas in the last 4 months. The conversion was carried out by DualFuel in Woking, with a free health check after 1k.

http://dualfuelsystems.co.uk/pages/contact.html

ask for Grant, he organised the job.

Its due a service at 20k and they will undertake the job no problems.

I know that they also do the Aircon servicing for Mclaren on the CEO's car as it was there when I was picking our ML up.... S600 Brabus hmmm... So they must be resonably good !

Good luck!

Simon

Last edited:
Seamster15 said:
its been great so far... we have done 6k on gas in the last 4 months. The conversion was carried out by DualFuel in Woking, with a free health check after 1k.

http://dualfuelsystems.co.uk/pages/contact.html

ask for Grant, he organised the job.

Its due a service at 20k and they will undertake the job no problems.

I know that they also do the Aircon servicing for Mclaren on the CEO's car as it was there when I was picking our ML up.... S600 Brabus hmmm... So thay must be resonably good !

Good luck!

Simon

That's the same company who is doing mine!! :D

Glad to hear of positive feedback Simon, thanks!! :bannana:

blicky_1 said:
That's the same company who is doing mine!! :D

Glad to hear of positive feedback Simon, thanks!! :bannana:

Have they mentioned any issues of extra cost involved with having it fitted to a Kompressor engine?? Would be interested to know.

No difference for kompressor or not as its down to 4 additional injectors they put in (assuming 4 cylinder that is!)

Costs rise on 6 & 8 cylinder engines due to the additional injectors needed.

If u don't mind me asking... how much is the conversion, and for what size tank? Woking isn't too far from me :)

Madferrit said:
If u don't mind me asking... how much is the conversion, and for what size tank? Woking isn't too far from me :)

4 cylinder £1595 + VAT, 67ltr tank (est. 320mls) in spare wheel well. :D

Helps when you can get the VAT back! :bannana:

Last edited:
Madferrit said:

The cost for the ML conversion was £2125 inc vat.
Thats because I went via GreenFuel :crazy: , I reccomend going direct as you will save £200 :D

i had a c class on lpg in 2000 it was a 1996 model
and nothing but trouble after 25k pressure regulator on petrol side kept leaking 3 fuel pumps lack of use and you need to start on petrol first also no boot space and insurance was difficult and un able to take the car on the euro star i feel diesel with 50 mpg ie audi is better or smaller petrol
but when we had the last fuel blocades it was like something out of mad max ie roads dead great
i had a lot of trouble and got a lot less mpg on gas than what i was told i would get
see what car and have a look at at the volvo web site as they do offical cars on gas
in the last few years the equipment may be better but the lpg conversion is not for me and lpg will rise in price as gas has risen also how long will the government keep the tax low
the same thing happened in1980's when petrol high price and so many went on lpg
government put more tax on it

bio diesel is the way forward or veg oil

silverarrow said:
i had a c class on lpg in 2000 it was a 1996 model
and nothing but trouble after 25k pressure regulator on petrol side kept leaking 3 fuel pumps lack of use and you need to start on petrol first also no boot space and insurance was difficult and un able to take the car on the euro star i feel diesel with 50 mpg ie audi is better or smaller petrol
but when we had the last fuel blocades it was like something out of mad max ie roads dead great
i had a lot of trouble and got a lot less mpg on gas than what i was told i would get
see what car and have a look at at the volvo web site as they do offical cars on gas
in the last few years the equipment may be better but the lpg conversion is not for me and lpg will rise in price as gas has risen also how long will the government keep the tax low
the same thing happened in1980's when petrol high price and so many went on lpg
government put more tax on it

bio diesel is the way forward or veg oil

I agree with you that as more people start to use the tax on it will go up but for the foreseable future I doubt it will.

Insurance = no problem with Direct Line & no increase in premium.

As for Eurostar who uses it anyway? cheaper to go on the ferry!!

Garage today called and they have had a customer let them down so mine has jumped the queue and is now being done in 2 weeks time :D

I've been quoted £1800+vat for converting my V280 (providing i get the gear problem sorted first). Apparently, they've done quite a few of these and usually stick the tank in place of the spare wheel. I'm sure a 58 litre tank should be sufficient for me, considering i have 2 places i can fill up locally :)

Do you think they'll be open to negotiate on the price?

Madferrit said:
I've been quoted £1800+vat for converting my V280 (providing i get the gear problem sorted first). Apparently, they've done quite a few of these and usually stick the tank in place of the spare wheel. I'm sure a 58 litre tank should be sufficient for me, considering i have 2 places i can fill up locally :)

Do you think they'll be open to negotiate on the price?

You can only ask! Remember that a v6 costs more though as more parts are required!

lpg

umm i have been told that lpg runs hotter and can damage the engine in the long run something to do with valve burn out
certain engines ok as they have uprated parts
i have seen many range rovers on gas and they seem ok :(

as for who uses the euro star me :rock:
hate the ferry makes me sick
but flying ok :rock: :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom