LSD for the C63 AMG, a luxury or essential?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eyeofthetiger

Car
2010 c63 amg
Hi there. I am looking for a c63 amg but looking for the right match. I wanted to ask a few questions about the LSD and PPP upgrade

1) Can someone explain what benefits a LSD will provide me on a day to day basis?
2) Is LSD a luxury or an essential upgrade in your opinion.
3) With regards to PPP upgrade of 30bhp, do you think this will be a significant power upgrade ie has anyone driven a c63 with PPP and one without? Does the car feel significantly more quicker or barely noticeable?
4) Will fuel consumption be significantly worser with PPP?
5) In your opinion is the PPP without LSD a waste of effort?

Any opinions appreciated.

Last edited:
I've only drive a DR520 C63 and that came with an LSD.

I think it is a must on any AMG but for some reason they don't come as standard like BMW ///M cars!

Search this forum for posts from Palmball. He had a car with performance package (pre-2010 models came with firmer suspension, but no power upgrade) and a 2010 model with PPP+ (30bhp upgrade, same suspension as standard). His posts should answer your questions.

Last edited:
I can't see the point of a car with that much power without a Limited Slip Diff, the difference is pretty amazing for getting the power down.

I can't see the point of a car with that much power without a Limited Slip Diff, the difference is pretty amazing for getting the power down.

The ESP manages fairly well, instead of locking the slipping wheel, it brakes it back to the same speed as the other. One advantage is that ESP works on all four wheels. Others are keeping the car on track through bends under power, braking whilst cornering. Also quite amazing if you encounter a pond in the road as we did again tonight.

The advantage of LSD is it can lay more power down, in practice though the drive is transferred to the non-slipping wheel and consequentially for the lead-footed, with the extra power suddenly dumped into it, both wheels start spinning.
At least that's what used to happen in a Jag with LSD as standard fitment.

I have a C63 without LSD and as far as I am concerned in most driving conditions it makes no difference. If I was on a track however then it would be essential...

I have a C63 without LSD and as far as I am concerned in most driving conditions it makes no difference. If I was on a track however then it would be essential...

This topic has been done to death on this forum and there are plenty of threads on it.

Apologies for the duplicate post - got my edits mixed up!!!

Without sounding like an old fart if you need an LSD on the public road then possibly your driving a bit to fast.

Even in the middle of wales on deserted roads I can't gun any of my recent cars for more than a few seconds as I would be doing 100mph plus on A roads and I have nothing to prove so what's the point.

Getting power down with an AMG doesn't need an LSD if traction is on however the manner traction kicks in / bogs down is greatly improved over the old "cut power" methods and traction is now no real hardship. To gun 500 bhp at the lights isn't like gunning an XR3 or GTi as in my youth it's a whole new ball game and it's far easier to get into trouble both physically and socially.

I think if you track day a few times a year then get an LSD if not don't bother.

Without sounding like an old fart if you need an LSD on the public road then possibly your driving a bit to fast.

Even in the middle of wales on deserted roads I can't gun any of my recent cars for more than a few seconds as I would be doing 100mph plus on A roads and I have nothing to prove so what's the point.
I think if you track day a few times a year then get an LSD if not don't bother.

Agree with you completely, but in my opinion the logical conclusion of this argument is that even the C63 itself is unnecessary nowadays.

Certainly where I live (the South East, though not in a town) there is hardly a road for miles around where I can even stretch the capabilities of my 320 CDi without moments later having to back off having reached wither the speed limit or the maximum safe speed for conditions. An AMG would be wasted around here.

I used to own fast cars but now I cannot see the use of them in most parts of the country. Given the pot-holed state of our roads, soft suspension and high-profile tyres are a higher priority than ultimate performance to my mind.

Erm, as much as I respect what you guys who actually own a C63 think, you don't have to be going fast to benefit from an LSD at all...

For example when I had my 230k (which only had ~230bhp), if I was stationary and tried to jump out at a junction really fast, meaning I have to turn as i'm coming out of an L-junction (which means I want to floor it while the steering wheel is turned) for example, I wouldn't be able to get the power down because one wheel is just spinning away losing all the power i'm trying to put down onto the road, its very noticeable and extremely irritating. As you complete the turn, you can feel all the power start to come back and rocket you forward, but its a very laggy and un-smooth process.

If I have money for a C63 then I definitely will make room for an LSD because I want to drive it how I like and be able to optimise its power in any situation.

I don't think it is anything to do with speed, it is how the car cars feels when it is able to get the power down, it just feels so much more balanced and planted overall.
I have only ever had one car with a normal diff and a limited slip diff, and that was my E30 325i and the difference was unreal, just in every day driving you could really feel it. Having said that the traction and electronics trying to mimmic an LSD these days would make the gap smaller.

I think it would be definatly worth having,although I have to admit for the money the C63s are, if I had that much to spend I would be seriously considering a Nissan GTR instead:ban: I will get my coat.

Agree with you completely, but in my opinion the logical conclusion of this argument is that even the C63 itself is unnecessary nowadays.

Certainly where I live (the South East, though not in a town) there is hardly a road for miles around where I can even stretch the capabilities of my 320 CDi without moments later having to back off having reached wither the speed limit or the maximum safe speed for conditions. An AMG would be wasted around here.

I used to own fast cars but now I cannot see the use of them in most parts of the country. Given the pot-holed state of our roads, soft suspension and high-profile tyres are a higher priority than ultimate performance to my mind.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz coming from a DIEsel driver.

I think it would be definatly worth having,although I have to admit for the money the C63s are, if I had that much to spend I would be seriously considering a Nissan GTR instead:ban: I will get my coat.

I'd probably do the same in that case - I've never looked into C63s as I am not particularly interested in them although I had no idea they were that pricey.

Not a lot of problems getting the power down in an R35 Skyline!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom