M-class buyers guide?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CraigRoyK

Car
2002 W163 ML55
Hi all,

We're looking for a replacement vehicle for the wife.

She likes the idea of a 4x4. High seating position, etc, hence looking at the M-Class.

Other requirements are basically automatic, occasional 7 seater, space for dog cage, baby buggy, etc in the back when not in 7 seat mode.

Obviously the M-class can meet the above, but the next catch is budget, we're looking at the sub £5,000 mark. A quick search of Autotrader and EBay shows a number of potential candidates, so I know this is potentially possible. (I've included c.100k mileage in my criteria)

But I want to avoid common pitfalls, so:

Does anyone know of a suitable buyers guide for the older M-classes? What should we watch out for and what features are must haves?

Can extra the 2 seats be retrofitted and how easily are they sourced?

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with ideas, lists, links or even suitable vehicles.

Thanks,
Craig

Hi all,

We're looking for a replacement vehicle for the wife.

She likes the idea of a 4x4. High seating position, etc, hence looking at the M-Class.

Other requirements are basically automatic, occasional 7 seater, space for dog cage, baby buggy, etc in the back when not in 7 seat mode.

Obviously the M-class can meet the above, but the next catch is budget, we're looking at the sub £5,000 mark. A quick search of Autotrader and EBay shows a number of potential candidates, so I know this is potentially possible. (I've included c.100k mileage in my criteria)

But I want to avoid common pitfalls, so:

Does anyone know of a suitable buyers guide for the older M-classes? What should we watch out for and what features are must haves?

Can extra the 2 seats be retrofitted and how easily are they sourced?

I'd be happy to hear from anyone with ideas, lists, links or even suitable vehicles.

Thanks,
Craig

At 5 grand you're looking at cars with 100K+ miles. Shock absorbers, ball joints, bushings would be on my watch list. Power steering hose is prone to leaks. The USA had a recall on these, but not the UK. Not particularly expensive but worth keeping in mind as empty reservoir can kill a PS pump. CPS, brake switch are other minor things. As with all SUVs, the mpg is generally poor but then again they are cheap to buy these days. Petrol V8 and V6 return virtually the same mpg, so unless you want a diesel, get a V8. 2002+ models were face lifted and had about a 1000 changes to original design. I used to own '99 and loved it the same as '04. Another good thing about the ML - it is a pretty easy model to work on if you're in to DIY. Not many tight places.

Generally they are good, fairly reliable cars if looked after, no different to the rest of the range from that era. I've had two and would buy another one in a heart beat. They are great all rounders capable of doing lots of jobs.

At 5 grand you're looking at cars with 100K+ miles.

Thanks Alx,

You comments around ballpoints, etc are very usefull.

Price wise, i have seen a few under 100k (or close too) in the price range. Which is why I was asking abut a buyers guide, as when "fishing at the bottom of the pond" as I am doing at this price, I recognise that I may need to replace some items.

I tend to find that it is best to set a budget that still allows for some money to spent on the vehicle as there is always something wrong. (These are well used cars after all at this mileage and price).

Regards,
Craig

Gearbox servicing is advised every 40K. If it needs it doing, it could cost £160-£200.

Wheel arches and rear tailgate handle are prone to rust.

There are good ML's out there, you generally here about cars with faults on internet forums.

Make sure you get a good Indie!!! My Indie is very good and has helped a lot with keeping my ML in good shape.

Loved my ML.

Petrol ML350 (3.7 v6) from low teens to twenty eight on a run,

Inspiration model adds lots of nice features.

Depends on your millage petrol may not be TOO bad? generally lower miles and cheaper to buy also.

DSCF7659.jpg

Well,

Several things come to mind; I was in the same position - Kids and dogs.

The ML from 1997 to 2001 is very much maligned and misunderstood. The panel fit is not great and it is a bit basic inside. But they seem to keep going and are cheap enough to buy if you go for a petrol/LPG converted one.

The ML from 2002 to 2005 is the Facelifted W163 - indicators in the mirrors; They also have some more luxuries and better panel fit.

The 7 seater chassis is different to the normal ML chassis - you cannot retrofit the 2 extra seats into a normal ML.

I suspect you will just about get a 270 CDI Facelift for £5k. There are a few about for sale, including mine (what a salesman!):

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/classifieds-cars-sale/131673-w163-ml-270-cdi-2002-facelift.html

Things to watch on the diesel are injector seal and manifold problems. I have just spent £2k this year doing all that work on my ML @ 95K miles - but it now has 12 months MOT and 5 months tax. So, in all reality I should keep it as it should do another 95k miles without any problems - however, we have just bought a much smaller car for town use, so the beast must go.

Service history is a must.

As for problems common to the ML, I don't actually know of any aside the usual Merc issues (issues specific to engines and bodywork, paint finish, some of the panel fit).

Aside this year, ours has been very trouble free.

Hi gtvlusso,

Thanks a lot for having a go at answering all my questions.

Is your vehicle a 5 seater or 7?

Also, any pictures available? If you can't load them, then emailing to Craig at Kritzinger dot net will do the trick. Sorry no PMs as I havn't posted enough yet.

Pictures of the crusty bits you referred to will specifically be appreciated.

I presume th car is still in Bristol.

Regards,
Craig

Just to add

I had mine for around 4 years. In that time other than service / fuel it needed very very little.

It had new brakes (discs and pads) when I bought it and me doing 6K a year they were fine when I sold it.

I bought the 7 seater as I was 'told' better for resale, in affect the seats in the boot spent most of the time in the loft... athough handy on the odd occasion we used it this way.

The 7 seater has opening rear windows and dark glass I think this was the family pack, then the Lux pack I think was heated seats, leather seats and other goodies I forget..

If you can search out an inspiration have a look, imho the inside (and outside) is that bit nicer than a normal ML, I like the stiched leather on the seats and the dark wood trim.

Places to check for ruct...mine had a tiny bit showing under one wheel arch and also when you open the rear hatch the handle had some starting.

All in all thought 4 years motoring pretty cheap, comfy and safe. It towed our caravan very very well and did a few trips to europe. Always felt very safe in heavy rain / wind and even snow.

Hi gtvlusso,

Thanks a lot for having a go at answering all my questions.

Is your vehicle a 5 seater or 7?

Also, any pictures available? If you can't load them, then emailing to Craig at Kritzinger dot net will do the trick. Sorry no PMs as I havn't posted enough yet.

Pictures of the crusty bits you referred to will specifically be appreciated.

I presume th car is still in Bristol.

Regards,
Craig

Hi,

Mine is a 5 seater - the boot is lined out to protect against dogs though.

I will send the couple of pics that I have - I need to do some more of the bodywork to be fair. There is a little rust on the rear arches, the boot and the front grill area - I was quoted at £300 to sort out the lot, I just have not had time to do it - hence the cheaper price to take this into account. The ruist is surface and in no way through the body.

Yes, in Bristol, but I am often near Reading and Herefordshire.

mail sent.

I second all above. Both mine were trouble free too.

Contrary to above, rear seats can be retrofitted. Financially, it makes much more sense to get a 7-seater than deal with retrofit. Rear seats can also be removed. I stored mine in the garage for 4 years.

My wife had a 270cdi for 4 years.

I would check

1) Rust - particularly wheel arches and door bottoms run your hand round them to check
2) Rear springs/shocks - springs can break and be difficult to see. They have to replaced as a whole unit, i.e. shock and spring together and are expensive to do the axle pair. Get underneath with a torch and have a good look!
3) Dash warning lights - usually a brake problem/abs. at 100k, mine had three warning lights come up, and was traced back to worn out carbon brushes in the abs pump.
4) Gearbox - there are a few horror stories here, check that the gearchange is smooth through the range with no slipping. Its worth googling ML gearbox problems although it might put you off.

I recently changed my ML (W164) for an E-estate.

The ML was a lovely car to own, great driving position and a very comfortable car to drive, especially on long motorway journeys. Consumption was ok, averaging 30mpg (mine was a 320 CDI) and general maintenance costs reasonable for such a large vehicle (I always serviced mine at my local MB dealer, on a strict yearly basis).

I have never had any problem with that car and the built quality was absolutely superb.

My only advice with a car like that one is very simple: ONLY look at those cars which have a full and documented service history, preferably with a reputable garage.

Good luck

Alex

2) Rear springs/shocks - springs can break and be difficult to see. They have to replaced as a whole unit, i.e. shock and spring together and are expensive to do the axle pair. Get underneath with a torch and have a good look!

4) Gearbox - there are a few horror stories here, check that the gearchange is smooth through the range with no slipping. Its worth googling ML gearbox problems although it might put you off.

Agree on the springs/shocks - luckily my local council covered the cost of a replacement after an incident with a pot hole - £275 inc fitting.

270 CDI Gearboxes are generic to the Merc range, so, theoretically you could google 'Mercedes gearbox problems' - they are not specific to the ML aside the low range box, which no one uses (Chelsea really is not that boggy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom