M Class W164 - What should I look out for when buying? What are the common problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wywywywy

Car
W221 S500 SWB (S65 AMG Style)
Hi all,

Basically I'm looking to replace the missus' car, and found that the second hand value of the W164 seems to be much better than the X5 and Q7. But are they cheap for a reason?

What should I look out for when viewing them? And what are the common problems that I should pay particular attention to?

Are there any must-have options? What are the big bills when it comes to maintenance?

Essentially any info appreciated. It's the pre-facelift ML280 CDi that we're interested in.

Thanks.

I've had no trouble with ml 350 , I have a Mercedes MB contract for servicing , I pay £36 a month over I think 2 years( but may be 3 ( not 100% sure ) for 3 services including parts , but not brakes or tyres ,,,,
Personally command is a must , electric memory seats , heats seats ;) ohhhh and defo got to have a heat steering wheel ;) lol , side steps imo set the car off too , hope it helps regards Jon

I would say Comand is to be avoided if going pre 2009.

I would rather save a grand and retrofit the later NTG2.5 comand system or even the new Alpine ML system...

Alpine*-*M-Class W164 Bj. 2006-2011

Slider_image1.jpg

Hi all,

Basically I'm looking to replace the missus' car, and found that the second hand value of the W164 seems to be much better than the X5 and Q7. But are they cheap for a reason?

What should I look out for when viewing them? And what are the common problems that I should pay particular attention to?

Are there any must-have options? What are the big bills when it comes to maintenance?

Essentially any info appreciated. It's the pre-facelift ML280 CDi that we're interested in.

Thanks.

good choice pre facelift are thousands cheaper , 08 cars 11-12k facelift 58 cars 15-16 .

i have nearly given up looking for a facelift car , all dealers singing from the same overpriced sheet.

Personally command is a must , electric memory seats , heats seats ;) ohhhh and defo got to have a heat steering wheel ;) lol , side steps imo set the car off too , hope it helps regards Jon

I have those in my S and I love them! Unfortunately for some reasons most ML (especially 280, except AMG) are not that well specced? A lot of them don't even have full leather, which is weird for a Mercedes.

Also I just found out that a lot of them use halogen rather than xenon! Not even standard on a £40k+ car!

I would say Comand is to be avoided if going pre 2009.

I would rather save a grand and retrofit the later NTG2.5 comand system or even the new Alpine ML system...

That Alpine system looks amazing! But it's probably a bit of a waste on a car that's worth less than £15k. On the other hand I think standard double DIN units can go into the ML without issues unlike my S? Hope I can find a second hand Alpine ML though!!!

good choice pre facelift are thousands cheaper , 08 cars 11-12k facelift 58 cars 15-16 .

i have nearly given up looking for a facelift car , all dealers singing from the same overpriced sheet.

The facelift never did much for me in terms of desirability. The rear lights are nicer and more modern, but the rest are just different to the pre-facelift - not any better or worse.

Last edited:
Only must have option on a W164 for me is airmatic. Without, it just doesn't ride well. Coming from an S, you will be VERY disappointed with the ride. Even with airmatic it's not great.

i have a feeling that will wipe the floor with an ntg 2.5 alpine never disappoints screen is much larger too :)

I have the earlier W925r in my W163 at the moment, and it does wipe the floor with it, this looks even better with an 8" screen etc.
But it is pricey.

£1799 before discount.
Not sure how much dealers have to play with on these?

I have the earlier W925r in my W163 at the moment, and it does wipe the floor with it, this looks even better with an 8" screen etc.
But it is pricey.

£1799 before discount.
Not sure how much dealers have to play with on these?

i know

Alpine - Mercedes ML - X800D-ML

£1800 for a headunit is having a laugh :fail
when you can buy a 50" tv for £300

i would hand over £600-700 for the alpine tops, it will be for sale around £1400-1500 at the audio dealers

nice though that you can upgrade the existing ntg 2.5 with a new sub amp and speakers

http://www.alpine-europe.com/mercedes_ml.html

Last edited:
I don't think I'm gonna go for the Alpine. If it was my daily drive I probably would, but for the missus a Chinese double din or a second hand Kenwood/JVC/Pioneer will probably do as long as the sat nav isn't too useless.

Only must have option on a W164 for me is airmatic. Without, it just doesn't ride well. Coming from an S, you will be VERY disappointed with the ride. Even with airmatic it's not great.

I would love airmatic but I'm also worried about the cost. If it fails, it's ££££££s to replace. I'm still dreading that one day it'll probably fail on my S, because let's face it, it's not the most reliable. I'm sure the ride will be so much better though! A plus point is that if it has airmatic I can lower it pretty easily with DAS.

Again airmatic probably should have been a standard item rather than optional because the Range Rover Sport and others have it.

Also looking at possibly the Lexus RX 400h hybrid... I can't believe the depreciation!!!

Better equipped and better on fuel & tax than the ML too.

I don't think I'm gonna go for the Alpine. If it was my daily drive I probably would, but for the missus a Chinese double din or a second hand Kenwood/JVC/Pioneer will probably do as long as the sat nav isn't too useless.

I would love airmatic but I'm also worried about the cost. If it fails, it's ££££££s to replace. I'm still dreading that one day it'll probably fail on my S, because let's face it, it's not the most reliable. I'm sure the ride will be so much better though! A plus point is that if it has airmatic I can lower it pretty easily with DAS.

Again airmatic probably should have been a standard item rather than optional because the Range Rover Sport and others have it.

you could replace the whole system for 1200euro

Complete GL/ML-Class Air Spring & Compressor Replacement Kit

That's..... WAYYYYYYY cheaper than the S!
Less than 1/2 the cost!

EDIT - Maybe even less than 1/3

The S-Class has Active Body Control, the W164 ML has Airmatic, two different (to an extent) systems.

Nono I'm on about the Airmatic. My S doesn't have ABC. I understand that ABC is even more expensive.

I was under the impression that ABC was standard on every S-Class?

Standard on the AMG only I think!

Found this.

Mercedes-Benz M Class 3.0 ML280 CDI SPORT 5d AUTO SAT NAV & LEATHER

It looks like it's got the exterior package, but not the interior package. Can't see the radio but I guess it's probably not COMAND otherwise they would have taken a pic. I guess no airmatic because the car sits a bit high?

Bloody half leather only though.

The price is very very attractive.

I might go there in the weekend to have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom