m102 water pump and belt tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anfieldassasin

Car
1988 300ce, E46 323ci, 1990 230ce C124 (sold), cl203 180k (other half)
Anyone have any idea how hard it would be to change the water pump and the belt tensioner assembley on an m102 motor?

My water pumps leaking from the weep hole underneath

Any diys anywhere?

Sam

Not difficult at all. The belt tensioner is a bit of an odd design, easy to snap the tensioner rod if you tension with the main bolt tight. Refilling the coolant system is a doddle (unlike my BMW which was a nightmare to bleed).

I have had a nightmare (self inflicted) with water pumps on my 190. The first circoli I fitted lasted barely a year and I had to return a couple of other pumps of other brands - one didn't fit properly and another just looked so bad I wasn't going to fit it. My advice would be to find an SKF part over the net, they make the genuine pumps.

Last edited:
Might be a good time to change the stat cover if it's still a plastic one BTW, they are known to crack. Wunderpartz sell the metal ones for not much.

Thanks for the advice horatio! Annoyed as I changed the radiator and flushed and replaced coolant only 4 months ago (no leaks anywhere at the time)! Remember I Broke 2 thermostat covers and snapped a bolt on the thermo housing.....damn that was one long weekend!!

Horatio I take it I have to loosen the bolt on the tensioner pully before loosening the tensioner nut and then reverse order when putting belt on right?

Last edited:
Yes the big bolt at the front of the tensioner needs to be loose when loosening and tightening the adjuster rod.

Thanks stwat

Nb the links you posted don't work for me??

Horatio wunderpartz doesn't seem to exist anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom