M103 Water Pump Drain Tube Stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

After having spent many, many hours on a steep learning curve I finally dismounted the water pump, only to be faced with a 1032001452 Water Pump Drain Tube which will NOT budge.

Is there a later version of this pump so that I can just cut this pesky pipe - which is not only almost welded-in, but perhaps clips to the block in the very bowels.

They do say that they started with the W pump and built around it, what a terrible job.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul it looks that way pump was put in first . I thought that when i was doing mine , a few years back now .What is this drain tube your talking about?|

Last edited:
There is a m6 bolt holding it into the water pump, and another ontop of the viscous fan mount.

Hi Carat,

That's not the one I mean, nor does it appear in the top image.

I'll post a snap tomorrow, but it comes from the back side of the pump, turns back on itself and heads under the manifold.

Cutting looks a good option.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:
pipe.jpg

I cannot force it off. The part number I quoted wasn't this, so what is it??

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Carat,

That's not the one I mean, nor does it appear in the top image.

I'll post a snap tomorrow, but it comes from the back side of the pump, turns back on itself and heads under the manifold.

Cutting looks a good option.

Cheers,

Paul

Aha, your m103 has an oil cooler.... Not many m103's are fitted with that.

In that case iirc there is an m6 bolt holding it to both inlet manifold support brackets, a jubilee clipped hose at the oil filter end, and an m6 bolt holding the flange to the water pump.

Thanks Graeme!

So I've got - not surprisingly - the UK standard and that's why it wasn't in the instructions I followed from Peachparts!

I swear the pipe looks and feels welded to the pump. After so many hours labour I feel like Devon Loch. The thought of finding out where it clips to is pushing me close to despair, and that's without getting the thing from the pump housing!

I'll start searching for the pipe part number under.... water pump oil cooler pipe?

Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers,

Paul

Aha, your m103 has an oil cooler.... Not many m103's are fitted with that.

In that case iirc there is an m6 bolt holding it to both inlet manifold support brackets, a jubilee clipped hose at the oil filter end, and an m6 bolt holding the flange to the water pump.

Posts crossed Carat, thanks for giving me directions!

Cheers,

Paul

Carrat , well thats another thing i have learnt . Easy to pick up the wrong pump , thats if you dont use the vin number in ordering parts.

Carrat , well thats another thing i have learnt . Easy to pick up the wrong pump , thats if you dont use the vin number in ordering parts.

Dont worry about it too much, the newer pumps come with an o ring and a blanking plate to cap off that pipe. It's fairly rare to see it used on a w124.

Hi Carat,

My question after, would you have an idea what I have to remove to get at the bolt under the inlet manifold and jubilee clip?, (probably the drivers seat and rear bumper), was going to be can I just cut and block that tube to the cooler?
Is there an effect to removing something that was put there? Higher oil temp, I suppose?
It's an SEL.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Carat,

My question after, would you have an idea what I have to remove to get at the bolt under the inlet manifold and jubilee clip?, (probably the drivers seat and rear bumper), was going to be can I just cut and block that tube to the cooler?
Is there an effect to removing something that was put there? Higher oil temp, I suppose?
It's an SEL.

Cheers,

Paul

You can get to the bolts without removing anything, if you reach under the inlet manifold and run your hand along the pipe you will feel them. A 1/4 ratchet is all that's needed to undo them.

The jubilee clip can normally be accessed with a screwdriver down the side of the oil filter, this does depend on which orientation it's been fitted in though. You wont need to undo this if you just want to make room to change the waterpump.

You can do away with the pipe work and the cooler, but you will need the blanking plug for the water feed from the block. Undo the oil filter and you will see the large nut holding the oil cooler on to the filter housing. remove the nut and cooler then re-fit your oil filter.

The straight rubber pipe in the picture is what is on the end of the pipe you are trying to remove, the curved pipe connect's to a fitting in the side of the engine block.

G13_30_27.jpg

Hi Carat,

Many, many thanks for the info and for taking the time to upload the helpful image, much appreciated.

I think as I've got this far I'll do it as Mercedes intended. Was this an option for those who saw themselves towing?

Belt tensioner snapped on my 116 yesterday so I'm switching projects this morning.

Cheers,

Paul

Was this an option for those who saw themselves towing?

I think it was for when the m103 was used in a situation where it would be worked hard, 190e 2.6's normally have it fitted also.

So the 2.6's were normally thrashed and the sel chassis were a little heavier, hence the cooler.
I wonder how many degree's they would drop the temp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom