M113K performance air filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
my apologies if this is in the wrong department, but could I ask to who has what performance air filters fitted to their modified M113K 55 engined cars. I currently have piper cross which for me out seeded K&N, but have had ongoing issues with the seal and the filter splitting, so looking to source another make if need be, have my K&N filters still with 30miles on in office, but reluctant to re install at this time, any one got Ramair or IGT filters...? what do you make of them, then also BMC, think thats a paper filter,,? any others I should be considering....thinking foam filters will be better for me, but happy to hear you guys opinions:dk:

I've bought a couple of cars that had K&N filters and the first thing I did was to toss them in the trash and put the OE filters back on. They're not very good at filtering and power improvements are questionable at best.

Hi,
I have a pair of BMC Filters in my CLS55, no issues at all, having had a pair of K&Ns in my previous AMG the BMC filters seem to be a better fit too.

What made you swap out the K&N's Ricky ? I have them fitted with no issues
Lee

I Had piper cross and swapped out to K&N, car was not the same, for my car the piper cross sounded better, you could hear the intake rush and whilst only my opinion, my car seemed better performing, so switched back to piper cross, but TBH they are a pain, been through 3 sets in 3-4 years, averaging 5Kmiles a year, the outer edge reinforcement, has split away from the foam filter on 3 occasions, spoke with them today again, they were polite, but basically where not helpful to me. So thinking I will give another filter ago, currently unless someone here convinces me otherwise, I may order up some IGT filters, and try them out. All this is very individual, we all like what we like, if I had, had a better experience with piper cross today, would probably run their filter again, but seems it is time to try something else, so just looking for some experience from you guys.:thumb:

Weistec do a filter for the M113K Ricky, and Acid should be able to get them for you at a reasonable price including shipping and duty. I had a set on my M157 and they were excellent, but I changed the intake set up unfortunately, so sold them on. :(

Having said that, the BMC ones Andy mentions have a good reputation, and Ollie should be able to get you a set as he's an agent for them I think...

Mine had Pipercross fitted prior to me buying it. They had only done 2k before the foam started to break up most of it ended up in the filter box absolute tosh and id never have those fitted ever again.

I'm now ruining standard air filters for peace of mind.

I changed mine 6. Month ago and have had no probs, I'm going for a diff intake set up so the K&N will stay until I change.

K&N for me Ricky

I have had them in since I bought the car with no issues, mind you id better check the box as its been a few years!

Just bought a set of Weistec filters for the M157 CL From Acid £ 250.00 + VAT. Haven't had them fitted yet.

Have BMC on the CL55 which Olly fitted no issues after three years.

Just bought a set of Weistec filters for the M157 CL From Acid £ 250.00 + VAT. Haven't had them fitted yet.

How much? For 2 filters? :doh:

I had K&N fitted to my E55 estate for 50,000 miles in 5 years without problems, sold it with them still in place. Will probably get some for the CLS55 I now have.

Where's some pictures of that fine mota Peter ?

my apologies if this is in the wrong department, but could I ask to who has what performance air filters fitted to their modified M113K 55 engined cars. I currently have piper cross which for me out seeded K&N, but have had ongoing issues with the seal and the filter splitting, so looking to source another make if need be, have my K&N filters still with 30miles on in office, but reluctant to re install at this time, any one got Ramair or IGT filters...? what do you make of them, then also BMC, think thats a paper filter,,? any others I should be considering....thinking foam filters will be better for me, but happy to hear you guys opinions:dk:

Hi mate talk to Alex he knows someone that can fabricate some filters according to your needs.

Thanks for all the responses here, negative or positive, good to read your inputs. What I would add, its one thing having a non problematic filter on a OEM standard, or lightly modded engine, over a performance filter on a full highly modded engine, I know its all arguably, but if my piper cross had not been an ongoing issue with the rim and filter splitting, i would definitely be saying that filter performed better than the K&N i previously fitted, and would be staying with the piper cross, however, time to move on. My car is pushing around the 6-650 dependant whose dyno you look at, intakes are carbonio CF, wondering to weather the intake stresses are taking their vengeance on these filters, so on the back of my thinking, i have ordered new piper cross filters, and also igt filters, my cars at Mikes at Mb Rochester on Saturday for major service and will fit the igt fitted as an experiment, and see how they go, if not impressed, will swap back to piper cross, but will keep you guys updated to how i find the outcome. thanks for all your inputs here.

Thanks for all the responses here, negative or positive, good to read your inputs. What I would add, its one thing having a non problematic filter on a OEM standard, or lightly modded engine, over a performance filter on a full highly modded engine, I know its all arguably, but if my piper cross had not been an ongoing issue with the rim and filter splitting, i would definitely be saying that filter performed better than the K&N i previously fitted, and would be staying with the piper cross, however, time to move on. My car is pushing around the 6-650 dependant whose dyno you look at, intakes are carbonio CF, wondering to weather the intake stresses are taking their vengeance on these filters, so on the back of my thinking, i have ordered new piper cross filters, and also igt filters, my cars at Mikes at Mb Rochester on Saturday for major service and will fit the igt fitted as an experiment, and see how they go, if not impressed, will swap back to piper cross, but will keep you guys updated to how i find the outcome. thanks for all your inputs here.

Will you be at Mike's Saturday ?

Foam - Pipercross disintegrate so ITG would be the choice for foam. Flat surface with smaller surface contact area than cotton or paper filters. Foam Flows more air over the same surface area per second than cotton or paper (pp rating and all that lol)

Cotton - K&N / Green Cotton / BMC - all similar and all pleated for greater surface area. This is done to provide similar flow rate of air mass than foam filters.

Paper - OEM (plus Mann, Hengst etc etc) - similar design to cotton, more pleats to increase surface area to offset lowest flow rate of air. Offers the greatest protection with regard to particles passing through the filter.

When all are brand new then foam probably just outflows cotton closely followed by paper. However, foam has to be oiled as do some of the cotton filters which quickly results in them starting to clog up from the dust pulled into the Airbox (a paper filter will very slowly absorb finite particles but most debris settles into the Airbox, whereas with foam / cotton it clings to the filter). Therefore the foam and cotton filters need to be removed and cleaned to retain optimal performance. With this in mind and given that I've ran cheap paper filters in both AMG's and both recording the highest bhp / torque figures for their mods, then paper wins!! I just used to remove every 3 months and shake clean, then replace after 6 months.

I tried some Pipercross and they appeared to make no difference to performance (which is good), but were a terrible fit, causing the outer rubber casing to split and causing the actual foam filter to flex and vibrate under load, this fractures the foam causing the foam the break up - not good! After 3 months I would estimate the foam filters (possibly cotton also) are 10-20% less efficient at flowing air.

Given they may only be 5% better at flowing than paper when both new, then for me this advantage is gone after a month or so...

Just my two pence worth.....

Jules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom