M272 C280 Balance shaft question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Question on the balance shaft issue prone M272 engine (C280)

Do they all suffer form the issue if the engine code is within the range effected by the problem, or, is it luck of the draw??

I am looking at an 06 - 69k miles car, but the worry if putting me off!

If it doesn't have the issue now - will it as some point?

Thanks

It's a good question, but I'm not sure what the real answer is.

Logically it's the weakest point, so given enough miles and wear that's what will fail first. However, that doesn't mean it's going to be the same point for everyone. - An engine that has been thrashed is going to go sooner than one that has been treated gently, been warmed-up, had regular oil changes.

I have to admit that I do worry about mine, but I've had no problems yet.

Seems fine now - decent miles and full service history - but not sure if I should steer clear?! What a decision.....

http://mbworld.org/wiki/images/0/0b/Mercedes_M272_balance_shaft_service_bulletin.pdf
As you can see from the above its only the first fault that's the really expensive one.
engine nos as follows
engines up to #2729..30 468933 -- this when the gear is the problem

engines up to #2729..30 759427 -- this when the adjustment solenoids are the problem

engines up to #2729..30 895140 -- this when the adjustment solenoids leak oil

The first two scenarios cause "check engine light", the third is just an oil leak.

That said if the engine's timing gear is of inferior material as in scenario 1 the problem is most likely going to surface sometime.
If you are still keen on the car but its engine falls within the suspect numbers you could try asking for a reduction in the asking price commensurate with the cost of repairing same?

From the VIB I have been given the engine is one that will be prone - I'll ask for a big discount :)

Not that has been mentioned by seller (but it does have full Merc history apparently)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom