Macbook 13" to JVC DV Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have an old (2000) JVC GR-DVX4E video camera. This records onto mini tapes.

It came with a docking station (when I bought it in 2000) which has now since disappeared. The docking station allowed conversion to various DV out formats/connects including S-Video, RGA etc.

The camera has a DV out port which is (I believe) Firewire.

So I am now trying to connect the camera to my Macbook 13"which has no Firewire Port. I am using a Firewire (4 pin) to USB cable.

I get nothing, zippo, zero. The Macbook does not know it has a device connected (nor does a windows PC).

So. I either need to find a docking station (none on ebay) or can somebody on here point me at what I need to be able to retrieve my old family movies currently on mini tape to get them onto disc.

Easiest solution would be to borrow a later DV camera with up to date connections. I too have one of the older JVC cameras and use 5 year old Panasonic DV camera to download the movies to my MacBook. I use imovies to edit.

Mini tapes is probably not VHS. My similar vintage Sony camcorder also uses minitapes but records in avi format, has a firewire port (and I have a firewire card and cable on my PC) so I can import the film onto the PC and then output it to whatever, including straight to DVD in original avi format. Time consuming with Roxio Easy Media Creator as you have to import, render then export, so it takes about 2 1/2-3 hours for 1 hour of film (the capacity of one minitape).

Does your MacBook have a 9 pin connector as it could be a Firewire 800 port, if it is you can just get a 400 to 800 cable?

SavMan said:
Does your MacBook have a 9 pin connector as it could be a Firewire 800 port, if it is you can just get a 400 to 800 cable?

No 9 pin. Just video out through a Mac adaptor.

Problem is that nothing (including windows) recognised the camera. Looks like either borrow a modern DV cam is the best option.

I use the equivalent product by ForMac (no longer available) with very good results, for transferring my Hi8 tapes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom