Machine or hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BAZ-500SL

Car
500sl
Ello , just your opinions on which is better I usually and have always polished the car by hand and the results come out good but lately I been hearing that what I spend hours to achieve can be done in less time and better results, so I got my eye on a variable speed polisher 500-3000 rpm, 1500w, so guys would this be good and also any tips and tricks on using something like this to achieve excellent results, also I polish the car every week would this be ok to do every week or would it be only best to machine some times all help appriciatted

You could get the Meguiar's® Dual Action Polisher here a video how to use one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrse_DBaUbc

You would not need to polish the car on a weekly event, so yes this could save you time.
However this open a can of worms as you will always want to be trying to get the car that bit better each time you clean the car.

You must have better things to do that spend each weekend cleaning your car?
The question really is why do you feel the need to polish a car each time you clean it?

Just to clarify, when you say 'polish' do you actually mean polish, as in abrasively remove surface contaminants/defects? Or do you really mean to apply wax the paintwork?

The former should only really be necessary once or twice a year and the Meg's DA is very good , the latter can be done weekly but I would suggest you try better wax products that last a good few weeks.. Have a look at this simple 'polisher' from Halfords

To answer your question re- hand or machine, both can give equally good results for applying wax. Using a machine is simply quicker and less effort. For polishing, machine every time..

Last edited:
DA's are good, but you have to practice to learn how to use one properly, get the right pads, clean the pads, and understand what you want to achieve.

Waxing a car should be done maybe 3/4 times a year not every time, if you layer your products correctly it's possible to achieve a decent shine that will last, and with minimum effort be able to just simply clean the car between waxing. i.e. just a snow foam, wash and a quick detailing spray can give you a good beading result and decent shine, then 3/4 times a year you would clean, clay, prime, wax and seal the car.

But it comes down to your expectations and the amount of time you have on your hands.
Back to DA's, if you are using this route, make sure you get a decent DA, and not the above Halfords cheapo polisher, that will do more harm than good. Check out The Worlds Largest Resource for Detailers, Valeters and Car Cleaning for lots of hints, tips, advice, and even group buy discounted DA's like CYC have to offer ;)

Sorry I meant after I clean the car each week, I get out the colour magic and apply that after each wash, so machine is best for a major clean so a once a year or so with clay/ cutting compound etc etc, and by hand would be ok to what I'm doing at the moment thanks

So dual action is the way to go rather than a normal variable speed polisher ?

I'd be careful on using colour magic on a weekly basis, it contains abrasives and fillers that don't last, you could try and layer a sealer on the top to try and keep it for longer. I would suggest you will see better results from a decent prime, wax, and sealer, then using something like WorkStat Glos or Gyeon Wet Coat on a weekly basis to keep the luster, shine, and beading.

Or if you like getting away from the missus on the weekend then carry on :D

Last edited:
I'd be careful on using colour magic on a weekly basis, it contains abrasives and fillers that don't last, you could try and later a sealer on the top to try and keep it for longer. I would suggest you will see better results from a decent prime, wax, and sealer, then using something like WorkStat Glos or Gyeon Wet Coat on a weekly basis to keep the luster, shine, and beading.

Or if you like getting away from the missus on the weekend then carry on :D
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Lol thanks guys any products you can recommend it's a white 190e so don't know what would be best to bring it up shiner, I tried topaz but to be honest I think I'm just picking stud of shelf and thinking that be good, so a bit of a lesson on what is what would be good sorry to be a pain just need a bit of guidance all help appreciated

Try Collinite 915 wax, goes on/off easily and lasts a good number of weeks. But with most things better prep gives better results. A good wash and decontaminate using a clay mitt is a good start.

As above, it's all about the prep.
Depending on your budget this is a good starter kit: Auto Finesse Soul Kit | Entry Level Carnauba Wax Car Paint Protection Kit

For the claying something like: Auto Finesse Clay | Smooth-Textured Mild Strength Clay Bar
and the lube: Auto Finesse Glide | Ultra Slick Clay Bar Lubricant

then something like: Auto Finesse Glisten | Auto Finesse Car Care & Detailing Products
for after washing to maintain the shine between waxing.

AF are some good products I've got a stock of these, WerkStat (now car lack I believe), and my new favorite is Gyeon.

Rather than a polish you can use a glaze to fill swirls and minor scratches (try Poorboys White Diamond for a white car) and apply a few coats of wax afterwards.

Also apply Sonax BSD after each wash.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom