MAF cleaning - an option?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fabes

MB Enthusiast
Car
E 400 Coupe and X-Trail
Hi

Bugga....the day after a service I get an EML and its the MAF apparently.

£250 to replace...... (plus an hours labour?)

How good a long term option is cleaning it as I am stretched this month and really could do without forking out for a new one?

Read a few threads and it seems possible, but is it just buying time?
61k on an 09 reg CLK (short journeys mainly I will admit) but miffed its thrown a light up.

Views would be appreciated?

Cheers

What type of MAF does the CLK have? - I've had good results cleaning hot wire MAFs with throttle body cleaner before, but I don't know if that's applicable in this case.

It's.going to.be swapped out for another on Tuesday at the garage. Will see if a quick clean will help. As a backup though I have bought a Bosch one from ECP as they have a store nearby and they have an upto 55% weekend on at the moment.

I can always return it but it's £100 less than I was initially told.

Those on line (german) parts stores didn't have a good rep, and considering I might need a refund, I opted ECP.

Bosch MAF fitted, MPG up (a bit....) and car running smooth again as the hunting was getting worse.

That had better be it for a couple of months now as I am bleeding money at the moment between services and MAF's etc....:wallbash:

Its been £1,200 in services, maintenance and parts in 18 months! (not counting tyres)

Spark plugs and MOT in late June.....

A good blast with some brake/ carb cleaner, has worked for me many times, not had to do it on a Merc yet though, I must admit.

I bought a cheap copy MAF for our BMW, lasted 2 days before it failed :fail

put the old 1 back on after cleaning it and its been fine since :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom