MAF for a 300e oldie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stringer

Car
300E 1987
Hi MBC folk
i just heard from a mechanic here in Beirut that a 1987 300E doesn;t have a MAF. Is he right? I'm confused as what is that little module which sticks into the wind pipe going into the air filter assembly then?
And do i need to clean the tip of what i believe looks like some kind of sensor?

many thanks

I think the one you're refering to is Intake air temperature sensor. They don't have hot film or hot wire airflow sensor, but they have airflow sensing capabilities via plunger plate and pot. attached to it.

alright, but i need to clean the tiny tip? Does it effect the running?

You can clean it with some contact cleaner or carb cleaner, but i wouldn't have thought it affects the running too much. Any particular running problems?

yes, a tad too rich, which finally leads to one plug cacking up with 'bits' of er,,,,s***t and arching

You should try checking/adjusting the mixture. If you have o2 sensor it's very easy. All you need is multimeter with Duty cycle measurement and 3mm hex key. If you don't have o2 sensor, exhaust analyzer is required.
Is only one sparkplug black? If that's the case the problem might be ignition related or one injector could be bad, or fuel distributor.

You should try checking/adjusting the mixture. If you have o2 sensor it's very easy. All you need is multimeter with Duty cycle measurement and 3mm hex key. If you don't have o2 sensor, exhaust analyzer is required.
Is only one sparkplug black? If that's the case the problem might be ignition related or one injector could be bad, or fuel distributor.

All that sounds logical.

The air intake sensor was bad on mine - it measured open circuit all the time. Replacement was 12€ and things improved slightly. It's worth replacing for that sort of money but it won't be the source of your gummed up plug problem.

Having said all that, I'm surprised a 1987 car has the temperature sensor; I thought that only appeared on the M104 engine. I may be wrong though.

Bon courage.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom