Magical mystery.... who mapped my car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ecain63

Car
'62 C63 PPP Saloon. Red. V5 Map. Remus exhaust. 181mph at Vmax stealth
I've gleaned from the 8.7s 62-124mph vbox times that my so called 'stock' car is probably mapped. I got hold of Eurocharged today and there is no evidence of my car on the European or US servers. Tried phoning DMS and because I don't have the previous owners details yet they won't check my car on their database due to data protection (possible insurance claims / legal risks). Who else should I be asking? Does anyone know my car? I think the car was based in the South before me.

Eddie

No V5 yet. I'm just trying to get it tied up for insurance purposes. That and i want to make sure it's a proper map and not some cowboy job. Feels very nice to drive but you don't know what the file is like.

Simplest route is to contact the previous owner and ask, it'll save hunting around the tuners.

As an aside, did you buy it from an MB dealer and did they give you a warranty... If so, I wonder how they feel about covering the map given they sold it to you as is.

Steve

Is it possibly a stock engine?

Mapped c63s only produce similar gains to the stock PPP cars.

This is an issue that's come up before..

If you buy a car and choose to insure it, the insurance company will ask you to confirm that it's standard. Now, very few of us are code-monkeys that could slog through the ECU softwatre and detect any modifications to increase power, so the average owner has to declare it as standard.

If you have an accident, particularly where speed may have been a contributory factor, the insurance company could refuse to pay because it may have been chipped.

I don't know of any court cases where the code was examined to check, but for 99% of the used car-buying public, we would havbe no way of knowing.

It's happened to me, thankfully without any accidents, but my insurance cover would almost certainly have been worthless..

Is it possibly a stock engine?

Mapped c63s only produce similar gains to the stock PPP cars.

It's possible it is just a really strong stock car. But, its quicker than my previous mapped PPP C63. Doing 100-200 in 8.7 is good even for a mapped car.

This is an issue that's come up before..

If you buy a car and choose to insure it, the insurance company will ask you to confirm that it's standard. Now, very few of us are code-monkeys that could slog through the ECU softwatre and detect any modifications to increase power, so the average owner has to declare it as standard.

If you have an accident, particularly where speed may have been a contributory factor, the insurance company could refuse to pay because it may have been chipped.

I don't know of any court cases where the code was examined to check, but for 99% of the used car-buying public, we would havbe no way of knowing.

It's happened to me, thankfully without any accidents, but my insurance cover would almost certainly have been worthless..

The basis of insurance is utmost good faith, so they cannot invalidate insurance for a subsequently discovered modification that you did not undertake, had no awareness of and had no reasonable way of discovering its existence.

The fact that they'll try to, and the subsequent argument you'll have with them over proving/disproving it is a completely different matter, mind.

hey eddie, must be great having your own private roads to drive on! :d

ant.

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Last edited:

If the car is involved in a serious claim the insurance company will send an engineer to inspect it, and they will check for a remap as part of that. My ex-wife's dad was the chief motor engineer for a household name UK insurer, and this was a standard check even before he retired 12 or so years ago.

But as mentioned if you're not the first owner, there's nothing visible on the car, and no evidence of you having had it done yourself then you would probably be OK.

Doodle is correct. There have been several well documented test cases in the UK where insurers have rejected a claim on the basis of "modification" then had to pay out when it was shown that the insured could not be reasonably expected to know that the car had been modified.

WARNING: In your case, having asked the question on a public forum I suspect you may not be so well treated in unfortunate event of a claim.

Which is why I'm asking, so I can either remove it or update my insurer. Weistec confirmed no map from them.

Stick it on the Dyno and if its over 500BHP its mapped

Could be a cheap nasty map too...but will be able to tell by curve on dyno if its a good curve its a good map...happy days

Last edited:
Lee C63 said:
Stick it on the Dyno and if its over 500BHP its mapped Could be a cheap nasty map too...but will be able to tell by curve on dyno if its a good curve its a good map...happy days

PPP cars have been known to read in excess of 500bhp.

PPP cars have been known to read in excess of 500bhp.

I've exhausted Eurocharged and Weistec. DMS won't talk to me until i have a V5 (tomorrow i hope). With forums focussing on the main brands is my previous owner likely to have used anybody else? Starting to think it may just be a strong stock car. Got a dyno booked for the 23rd so we'll see what it pulls if I can't get answers from the man.

Ask the question of the seller and get their answer in writing.

That keeps you on the right side of the law with regards to the insurance.

You spoke with Acid at MSL Eddie?

He may have played with it and not registered it with a central database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom