Main dealer MOT ... ripoff?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Put the SL in for MOT at M-B Guildford (Tony Purslow) today. Asked if they could also have a look at the accelerator which has always been very slightly 'sticky' - I said I thought it might need a new cable. Requested that the car be ready by 3PM.

At 2:20PM I had a call advising the car was ready. Washed and valeted, total bill was ... £20. They had looked at the accelerator linkages and re-lubed them, didn't think the cable required replacement. No charge for this. Passed the MOT, no advisories, no ripoffs :D

I chose to drop the car off but they would have collected it and returned to my house if requested (this has to be booked a couple of weeks in advance but is free). IIRC I could have had a courtesy car instead.

Not bad considering I drive a 15 year old car that I didn't buy from them :thumb:

Sounds too good to be true,well done Tony Purslow,makes a refreshing change:thumb:

I have had, the same kind of service from them, exceptional!!

Very impressive. It seems that Tony Purslow does get quite a few recommendations from forum members.

Perfect

£20 for an MOT plus remedial works????

I'm not avin' that! :eek:

£20 for an MOT plus remedial works????

I'm not avin' that! :eek:

That an outrageous rip-off. I can see this thread running into 5 pages, castigating the dealer, at some length, for such a slip-shod approach to customer care.

I for one won't be taking my car there!

I've only ever heard good things about them. My SL spent most of life prior to my ownership being looked after by them, and they happily sent me a hard copy of all their records.

Mine went for an mot at my local (Poole) dealer last week, £41 something, and they issued a fail certificate for a wiper blade (no advisories), which they then replaced and issued a pass certificate. Seemed a waste of paper to me.

:dk: £20 ?? Is this possible for an MOT?

I took my car into Tony Purslow Basingstoke for a "while you wait" MOT on Saturday. Unfortunately there was a mix up a the test centre that mean't they didn't have my booking. Matt, the Service Team Leader was very apologetic and rang round the garages of North Hampshire until he could get the car in somewhere else. I sat in the waiting room reading the papers, drinking coffee and watching the Olympics until the MOT was complete. Matt waived the charge because of the delay and offered to wash and valet the car!

just made a complaint, about a test centre in bury-st-edmunds, which my car failed at, as it was free with my insurance they paid for the mot at the test station i went to for a second opinion, which passed !! makes you think what they are worried about to pay up just a thought

Put the SL in for MOT at M-B Guildford (Tony Purslow) today. Asked if they could also have a look at the accelerator which has always been very slightly 'sticky' - I said I thought it might need a new cable. Requested that the car be ready by 3PM.

At 2:20PM I had a call advising the car was ready. Washed and valeted, total bill was ... £20. They had looked at the accelerator linkages and re-lubed them, didn't think the cable required replacement. No charge for this. Passed the MOT, no advisories, no ripoffs :D

I chose to drop the car off but they would have collected it and returned to my house if requested (this has to be booked a couple of weeks in advance but is free). IIRC I could have had a courtesy car instead.

Not bad considering I drive a 15 year old car that I didn't buy from them :thumb:

Superb service, discount price and an excellent result. It does make a refreshing change to hear these reports. :bannana:
A valet would cost more than £20 at most places. Do you think Tony Purslow would consider a transfer to M-B Stourbridge?

Last edited:
I've always been delighted with Purslows in Basingstoke, but even my last MOT with them was more than £20 - I think it was closer to £50

The £20 MOT fee is part of their (free) 'Platinum Plus' scheme for cars 6+ years old. Until a year or two ago you paid nothing at all!

I had a nice follow-up phone call this morning to check I was happy with everything.

I wish my dealer gave me a £20 MOT.......they charge me £55 if I want it done.

Mind you their A service for older cars was £79 if you supplied your own oil :)

Saying that Kwickfit are currently doing MOTs for £30 if you book online.

Mrs A had her CLC MOT'd last week at MB Chesterfield (JCT), £35 and use of a new B class for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom