Makita Li-ion batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Anyone had problems with Makita 18v Li-ion batteries?

I have been using an 18v cordless circular saw this afternoon, using 4 batteries in rotation. 2 of the batteries are over 2 years old, 2 of the batteries only 3 months old.

Lots of cutting meant I had 2 chargers on the go and they could hardly keep up with me draining the batteries.

Part way through one of the older batteries failed to charge - charger flashing red & green lights, indicating failed battery.:mad:
Then immediately after that, one of the newer batteries died also.:mad::mad:

Have e-mailed Makita to ask for replacement of the newer battery, but I doubt they will be interested in the older one:(

From what I understand, the batteries communicate with the charger and once they have been "marked" as faulty, the charger will not charge them again.

Can they be fixed or have I got to dig deep for some replacements:dk:

Was the cutting within the specified capabilities of the drill?

Batteries are always a grey area with tool manufactures.

They should replace the 'newer' battery but I'd be astounded if they replaced the 'older' battery.

May I ask, why weren't you using mains powered? By their nature, cordless aren't as good as corded.

Batteries are always a grey area with tool manufactures.

They should replace the 'newer' battery but I'd be astounded if they replaced the 'older' battery.

May I ask, why weren't you using mains powered? By their nature, cordless aren't as good as corded.

This Makita saw has a very fine blade & is easy to make accurate cuts. My older 110v De-Walt circ saw is more cumbersome and not so easy to handle. The Makita - unusually - has the blade mounted left of the motor. Most circ saws have the blade mounted to the right of the motor. Although it felt unusual when I first got the saw, as a right handed user, it it so easy to align the cut, particularly as these cuts were being made vertically & horizontally at awkward levels.

Drill?
Circular saw!
Cutting rafter feet 47x197 softwood, vertical & horizontal cut for fascias & soffits.

Aha, I didn't saw that bit.

What I was getting at was that if batteries were failing on that particular job it would indicate that they couldn't cope with the task, as opposed to being faulty.

You did say lots of cutting.

charger flashing red & green lights, indicating failed battery.:mad:
Then immediately after that, one of the newer batteries died also.:mad::mad:

On my new Makita drill one of the original batteries did the same. DOA.
The replacement did the same too.
The 2nd replacement finally worked OK.

What was slightly odd though, is that the DOA batteries worked OK back at the suppliers factory. But they replaced them regardless, so I was satisfied.

So maybe there is a known issue with some Matika batteries.

My cordless driver came with two and they don't seem to hold charge like they used to.

The green 'charged' light comes up very quickly as well.

I have a suspicion they are on the way out but keeping them going until they do.

I've had it 6 years now I think and it has had fair use.

Makita Li-ion batteries won't recharge if hot after being discharged quickly.

Try the dead ones again after a few hours or the next day.

I've got through 4 batteris this year, mostly in the circular saw and reciprocating saw. These two items discharge them far faster than drills.

You get no warning when they are dying though, they simply refuse to charge without warning.

We sell a lot of these and do get a few back.
Makita usually replace without issue if under warranty.
It's true about charging batteries when warm but as these batteries are supposed to communicate with the charger the charger usually runs a diagnostic and will wait till the battery is cool enough before it charges. It will then trickle charge the battery.

Are your batteries still under 12 months old?

Try the dead ones again after a few hours or the next day.

Tried them a few hours later & still the same result. I'll try again tomorrow but I think something is triggered in the battery to permanently disable charging on a Makita charger

You did say lots of cutting.

47x197 softwood rafters, vertical & horizontal cuts for fascias & soffits.
Vertical cuts probably 260mm long, horizontal cuts about 175mm long.
Probably did about 50 vertical cuts & 40 horizontal over a 4 hour period.

These tools are aimed at the trade, so should be within capabilities of tool & batteries.
Having said that, I don't dispute that the batteries get hot and ideally they need to cool down before charging. The charger, however, has a cooling facility & is not supposed to start the charge until it has cooled the battery.

Last edited:
Sorry you did put the info in your original post.
If it was me I would be sending the charger with the batteries to Makita.
It would be true to say you have had good use out of your old batteries but as one died at the same time as one of the new ones it may point towards a fault with the charger.
Did you buy from a reputable dealer or of the net?

Sorry you did put the info in your original post.
If it was me I would be sending the charger with the batteries to Makita.
It would be true to say you have had good use out of your old batteries but as one died at the same time as one of the new ones it may point towards a fault with the charger.
Did you buy from a reputable dealer or of the net?

Have 2 chargers, 1 just over 2 yrs old, the other 3 months old.
Both batteries failed in the older charger.
However, have since charged the other two batteries in both chargers:dk:

First purchase was from Anglia Tool Centre - part of the Ridgeons Builders Merchants group. The newer one was from Screwfix.

It would be true to say you have had good use out of your old batteries

Over the 2 years, I wouldn't say I was a heavy user, more occasional. I've seen plumbers use 18v makita tools every day of the week. It was their recommendation that caused me to buy in the first place.
Last week I was working with an s/c carpenter who had a better makita drill than mine. He had no battery issues but his gearbox was making a good amount of noise. He had worn out the drill before the batteries.

but as one died at the same time as one of the new ones it may point towards a fault with the charger.

As it was the older charger, I'm not sure how to raise that with Makita. They could argue that a 2 year old charger is out of warranty and they could say that caused the fault in the newer battery

I agree that those cuts are bog standard and I would expect a lesser voltage version to cope perfectly well.

I also have had a fair bit of trouble with Makita batteries in the last few years. I am in the process of moving my kit over to Hitachi which seems to be more robust. IME.

Hilti is the best you can buy, but my word it's expensive and it's sale heavily restricted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom