Manual gearboxes - I have the knowhow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
New to this forum, new to owning mercs, love my 210 to bits, just run in at 160K, need to ditch the 230 for an E55 asap, I love the size and power of it.

Anyway I had the car totally lock up in a car park recently which I traced to the plastic detents (stops you selecting two gears at once) had broken which I got for £17+VAT at Greenoaks of Ascot. I rebuilt the box with the help of a mate for the heavy lifting bit and also got all the levers and rods back in the right place as my mate never marked them up, I trawled the net looking for info but as so few Mercs are manuals I couldnt really find anything. I have info and I can take pics as I had to suck it and see. I suppose if there is anough interest I could to a walk through type thing with pics as its an **** of a job and we all know how helpful MB customer service is, especially when they are not earning money from a gearbox overhaul. PS thanks to Kellogs for their good quality Coco Pops boxes, buggered the last gasket on the rebuild sunday afternoon - guess what I used. 5000 miles later and it has not leaked, god bless tranmission stop leak.

Anyway love reading all the posts and to all the people from other forums who read this one who cant understand why we think our cars are so good its because simply they are. Thats why Taxis in Munich airport are Mercs, they never stop, some of them have reputed to have clocked 4 million miles, my car has had 2 outside air temp sensors in 10 years and 160,000 miles, try exlaining that to the f**kwit in the keved up punto when he reads the words E230 getting smaller and smaller in the distance.

Last edited:
Knowledge on manual boxes is very very rare (for Mercs), to the extent I gave up when I had a problem and bought a used box.

Well done on your repair.

Kleeman blower, your making me moist boys,

I also have a question, If I have an auto which the chances are high for the next merc as after 2.3 they are all auto, can I put lots of revs on the tacho and throw it in first or will I be rebuilding that after a while too? I only ask as I do like my standing starts as I hate queing at roundabouts with lights so I just get in the empty lane,

Grav888, my 2.3 and a Curly Wurly for your E55? fair swap?

W210 Fan said:
Kleeman blower, your making me moist boys,

I also have a question, If I have an auto which the chances are high for the next merc as after 2.3 they are all auto, can I put lots of revs on the tacho and throw it in first or will I be rebuilding that after a while too? I only ask as I do like my standing starts as I hate queing at roundabouts with lights so I just get in the empty lane,

Grav888, my 2.3 and a Curly Wurly for your E55? fair swap?

The autobox won't engage until the revs drop below 1200rpm on an electronic 722.6 box.
The hydraulic 722.4 box may do what you want...well at least once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom