Manual Map Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wivenhoe

Car
Was E350e - awaiting BMW 530e
Has anybody manually updated their Comand maps. Mercedes Me is saying I have a map update that needs to be a manual one. Reading the instructions it seems it will take ages but that the ignition needs to be on - will it continue to load over several journeys and is the sat nav available whilst it is updating ? The update is 1.3gb and there is a Linguitronic update of 350mb.

Pretty sure the Nav would be unavailable whilst updating.
Normally the car is placed on a maintenance charger and left to complete the update.

We've just had ours updated at the dealers and it can take them, they said, up to two hours, fortunately we were still under warranty so cost nothing, I wouldn't have thought in your situation the satnav would be usable at the same time as uploading.

I did a manual update of mine about 3 weeks ago, battery charger connected, ignition on, it took about 2.25 hours and the comand screen had only a white incremental bar type status indicator for the whole time.

No problems.

The first time I tried a manual update, I did the whole lot (about 25gb). That was a mistake, as it took getting on for two hours. I've since done it in smaller chunks (you can select which countries you want to load onto your SD card), and I try to keep to around 5gb a time; that takes about 20 minutes to update in the car while driving. I don't think the satnav will work during the update process - there's a box in the middle of the screen showing update percentage completed.

On my previous car with NTG2.5, the update was done from DVD disks and you could do this while driving - e.g. if you parked the car for the night the update would stop, and then continue the next day from where it stopped the night before. So there was no need to do the update in one go. The SatNav was not available during the update but the radio was. On my current car the updates were carried-out by Comand UK but I would imagine the same applies.

What's the car?

Mine (W213) updates over the air and just does it while I'm driving around. Everything functions as normal apart from a small arrow at the top of the screen.

What's the car?

Mine (W213) updates over the air and just does it while I'm driving around. Everything functions as normal apart from a small arrow at the top of the screen.
W213 - the voice recognition update says it must be manual - the map updates gives me the option of automatic or manual.
I’ll look for the small arrow and have a go at manually updating the voice recognition

Thanks everyone for your help

Mine's a W213. It allegedly updates automatically over the air, but in reality doesn't. Apparently the sim card in the car can't handle the data.

Also got an S213 I updated the UK maps manually (SD card download) but the rest of them were huge so I left it to get on with it over the air. Took a few weeks (I usually do shortish journeys) but completed in the end. Can't say that the Sat Nav froze or was inop during that time, at least, not that I noticed.

NTG5.5 (W213) apparently you can download the map onto a USB from the mercedes me portal and install it that way. Apparently MB for UK cars put 3G sim in the car and it takes days to download anything large as a result.

Apparently MB for UK cars put 3G sim in the car and it takes days to download anything large as a result.

That would explain a lot. No wonder mine's painfully slow at updating maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom