Marine engineer buying my Jag Hmmm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
The Jags on pistonheads as Im half heartedly flogging it but not much response, get a email asking if still for sale and price, I answer yes at the price on the advert.

Then the scam hits, marine engineer, restricted web access, no phone calls buying for his dad - love it

"Im sure he (his dad) will be happy with the product" PRODUCT FFS!

"I dont have internet banking" a poor marine engineer ?

"We can trade with paypal" and even tells me how to set up a paypal account

Now first thought is to have a bit of fun BUT I know these guys appear thick but they dont mess around and most are affiliated in many countries so I will politely tell him Ive sold it and sorry I cant help.

Anyone else had this scam ?

Not had that scam but that 'is it still for sale and what is price is the car' type line sounds familiar.

The fact you've written the price in the advert is bizarre.

You'd think they would do their best not to sound like they are scamming.

:doh:

Yep. I've had this (and a variant). I agree with JohnEBoy - their response looks as though it's been written by scammers trying their best to be even more obvious scammers!

I can do monies transfer in Ugandan dollar if you please.

Told him / her it's not for sale by paypal or western union only cash.
That should be the end of it.

Ask for a sizable cash deposit by post to an anon PO box in return for the keys, then **** off with his money.

I can do monies transfer in Ugandan dollar if you please.

Scam Scam Scam - it's Ugandan Shillings - come on if you're going to get this Jag for nothing get the currency right or he may suspect you're not genuine..
:D:D

Anyone else had this scam ?

I placed an ad in both Gumtree and Friday Ads for a guitar amplifier and had no response in the first few days, then on a daily basis for the next few weeks offers like this kept on coming, really annoying when you just want to sell and these scammers are all you get. :(:(:( (amp still for sale - nio scammers please!) :)

Russ

Told him / her it's not for sale by paypal or western union only cash.
That should be the end of it.

Had this via facebook on one of the Audi's I was selling. Politely told him that by sending his agent round with the cash while he was collecting would streamline the whole process.
Funny............didn't here anymore!:confused:

I tried to buy a car off a marine engineer, it was very hard, he was off driving ships a lot of the time and his description of the service history was broken down into operating hours. In the end I gave up, his schedule kept changing and paying him an enormous brick of tenners was too inconvenient for him.

Same - "how much is the price?" What a waste of oxygen these people are. PH seems particularly bad for it.

I placed an ad in both Gumtree and Friday Ads for a guitar amplifier and had no response in the first few days, then on a daily basis for the next few weeks offers like this kept on coming, really annoying when you just want to sell and these scammers are all you get. :(:(:( (amp still for sale - nio scammers please!) :)

Russ

I have tried to buy stuff on Gumtree - other than what I now take to be the genuine adverts , where the seller gives a telephone number - the only way of contacting the seller is through the 'reply to this ad' button . Even with adverts placed only hours , or minutes , before - nobody ever seems to bother responding ! The only responses I got were in relation to adverts for camcorders - at suspiciously cheap prices - when I asked for more information , to which I received replies in identically phrased bad english - these were for two entirely separate sellers , in different cities in the UK - bizarre coincidence - I think not .

So DSLiverpool, what next after the Jag? Didn't you have an AM a while back?

A mate of mine had an almost identical one except the scammer said he was working on an oil rig :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom