MB corrosion warranty - any info on the terms and conditions of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gtahhh

Car
E320 CDI Estate (W211)
Hi. Can anyone point me to some info on the terms and conditions of the MB corrosion warranty. I've heard that your car needs a full MB service history to qualify. I've also heard that it needs an annual inspection too. Any pointer gratefully received. -g

The 30 corrosion 'warranty' isn't worth the paper that it's written on I'm afraid.

Worth a try though, just don't get your hopes up.

If you let the car get wet, drive over bumps, use A or B roads, drive on a motorway, have more than two people in it at any one given time, put air in the tyres, let it come into contact with the atmosphere, park too close to a BMW the warranty is null and void. The above list is just a small sample of the reasons the warranty will not be honoured.:D

Hi. Can anyone point me to some info on the terms and conditions of the MB corrosion warranty. I've heard that your car needs a full MB service history to qualify. I've also heard that it needs an annual inspection too. Any pointer gratefully received. -g

It depends upon when the vehicle was registered.

Aside from other comments, I think in general it's a bi-annual inspection (every two years). Apart from that, remember that any such warranty is going to be done up tight...

If full MB service history, owned more than 6 months, never had any paintwork done, less than 8 years old then you might stand a chance of a successful claim. There are loads of exclusions/reasons you will be turned down. There are stories of cases going to the small claims court which are settled out of court but I have no idea if they are true. The book with our CLK says its covered for 30 years but I dont rate my chances very highly of a successful claim in year 29.

If full MB service history, owned more than 6 months, never had any paintwork done, less than 8 years old then you might stand a chance of a successful claim. There are loads of exclusions/reasons you will be turned down. There are stories of cases going to the small claims court which are settled out of court but I have no idea if they are true. The book with our CLK says its covered for 30 years but I dont rate my chances very highly of a successful claim in year 29.

^ Even with the above criteria met the best you can hope for is a contribution under goodwill judging by other peoples experiences when it comes to rust.

What year is the car & where are the rust problems?

Oct '04 and there's blistering under the paint on the tail gate. It's on a flat surface and there's no paint damage and it's not been resprayed. Looks like a paint fault to me. Also, looks like the rear arches are starting to go on the edges of the panel but I've had similar things on other cars that get worse very very slowly, so not that worried about that. The boot is quite annoying though.

Hi. Can anyone point me to some info on the terms and conditions of the MB corrosion warranty.

It covers everything except rust.

This is how it works:

You buy a Mercedes.

The Mercedes goes rusty.

Your neighbours laugh and point.

You go to MB to claim under the extensive rust warrenty your car or van came with.

MB promise to put in a claim for you.

MB head office think of an excuse.

You pay to have your own car repaired.

You buy an Audi or if it was a Vito, a Vivaro.

You never need to worry about rust again.

The hapless person who brought your patched up rusty car follows the above steps...

GP801 and NickMercedes have given very good replies - for diffrerent reasons.

Here's the result of my query last Sept.

In September 2012 my car will be 8 years old. After that date there'd not be much interest from M-B, judging form the glum faces behind the M-B Reception desk at the time.
In 2011 I must have been flush as I had a "B" service done at the same time. They told me then that this woud ensure I had a continuing rust warranty up till Sept 2012 by way of the fact that the car had been regularly serviced by M-B and non-M-B mechanics and because of the 2011 "B" service.
So, in theory (and I stress in theory) if I discover rust over the next four months M-B will rush to my assistance and sort it out, or not.
Good Luck.

put it this way....

if you bought a car off this guy:

arthurdaley_203x220.jpg

you have more luck in getting him to fix the rust than you will MB.

Oct '04 and there's blistering under the paint on the tail gate. It's on a flat surface and there's no paint damage and it's not been resprayed. Looks like a paint fault to me. Also, looks like the rear arches are starting to go on the edges of the panel but I've had similar things on other cars that get worse very very slowly, so not that worried about that. The boot is quite annoying though.

Hello. And welcome to my world. I could rip into this thread with a vengeance, but it would be too much like shooting fish in a barrel.

All I will say, is that time is proving the 211 to be every bit as bad as the 210 as far as rust and electrical problems are concerned. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss.

If you have all weekend spare, and half of next week too, then put a large pot of coffee on and search through my threads in the bodywork forum.

If you haven't kept up with MB servicing, you wont be able to claim but the amount you saved in servicing costs means you can buy a Lamborghini Aventador and still have some change to get the rust repaired before you launch the car off a cliff...

Why wont Mercedes acknowledge their design fault and do the right thing? 30 year promise or not, MB full service history or not, I didnt see the price of new cars falling in correlation to their cheap, cost cutting practices, so while they were selling cars for a premium and fooling their customers into thinking they were buying a quality car they were creaming extra profit off them and leaving them up a creak without a paddle.

Have they made their bed and now refusing to lie in it?

I also remember phoning MBUK before buying my B class and one of the questions I asked was about rust. The reply I got was "its a Mercedes they dont rust". What are my chances of getting hold of a copy of that phone call?

Can't you smell that whiff of arrogance and hear that faint sound of laughter coming from the direction of Stuttgart?

:D

I also remember phoning MBUK before buying my B class and one of the questions I asked was about rust. The reply I got was "its a Mercedes they dont rust". What are my chances of getting hold of a copy of that phone call?

Makes you laugh really think they are all trained to say that

Mercedes what rust !:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom