MB dealer nuts and bolts - whats the difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On another note... a common issue with some backstreet garages is the reusing of existing suspension bolts even when the manufacturer specifies that they should be renewed. 'A bolt is a bolt' is a common misconception that ignores the effects of wear e.g. strechting and metal fatigue.

Give it a rest the lot of you.

Final warning.

And your comment wasn't?

No, it wasn't, so fanboy, slowcoach del320 can belt up.

Mine was meant to be taken seriously that worrying too much about the wrong bolt specification is unlikely to lead to sudden catastrophic failure.

Car parts do fail, such as W124 front ball-joints. It is unlikely to lead to a death experience, thus I felt gazz was being rather over-dramatic.

hotrodder has provided me with good info in post 18, but thanks to everyone none the less.

most likely, for ease, i'll keep passing my money to the $tealer. But i'm sure a decent bolt of the spec would be fine from a reputable bolt supplier.

why not argue elsewhere instead of spamming a serious thread (no pun intended!) Maybe this thread (sorry!) should be closed now?

I don't think that the topic is the possible effects of or risk in having a suspension component fail while driving (in spite of my OT post regarding plane crashes...).

The OP's question was - and still is - whether a generic (cheaper) industrial bolt is the same as an (expensive) MB-branded bolt bought from a dealer.

If the answer is 'yes', then the issue of the potential consequences of a bolt failure is purely academic anyway.

If the answer is 'no', then this is all the OP wanted to know... I am sure he can work out for himself the possible implications.

Mercedes don't make bolts.

my question was answered HERE

all i wanted to know is whats the difference. From the replys, the strength is the difference. i suspect aslong as you went to a good supplier who sells the same strength bolts, you would be buying the same for 10% of the price.

however unless you were rebuilding the whole suspension, buying the odd expensive bolt from MB isnt the end of the world.

If I was to replace all the bolts, i'd find another supplier!

Just out of interest [no other reason]; Dieselman, if the MB logo is on the bolt can you do a little research and tell me that they are not deemed the manufacturer of that bolt?

In the Engineering world once you brand a part or component with your official name or official logo you are deemed the manufacturer from a legal perspective, I'd assume it is the same in the Auto [SAE] world - yes??

Just out of interest [no other reason]; Dieselman, if the MB logo is on the bolt can you do a little research and tell me that they are not deemed the manufacturer of that bolt?

In the Engineering world once you brand a part or component with your official name or official logo you are deemed the manufacturer from a legal perspective, I'd assume it is the same in the Auto [SAE] world - yes??

All MB parts carry their insignia, but they don't make anything other than body stampings and drive-train mechanicals. Everything else is bought in from suppliers.

A few;
Maf sensors
Trak control arms
Exhausts

Ad infinaitum...

Stick with MB supplied bolts IMO. Have you had to cut it off? Try PlusGas next time I've you've not used it before. Brilliant at releasing corroded fittings.

I understand all that but legally the man with the little hammer and the funny hairdo will tell you MB do manufacture these parts even if they are subbed out, that was my question. Legally are they the manufacturer in the Auto world?

Back in the day the MB nuts and bolts had lots of plating, newer ones don't seem so well protected and rust just as well as the rest of the car.

Best use genuine ones rather than any old cheepos from the hardware shop though.

Why does every thread turn into an argument?

Why did you ask Me specifically? Hotrodder had also posted similar information to my post.

I can't see how the legal or dictionary definition of 'manufacture' is related to the OP's question.

MB sell MB-Branded bolts (and other MB-Branded parts). The OP's question was whether it is possible to buy an identical part from a generic bolts supplier.

To my mind the correct answer would be:

'Yes' if you know the spec to which the MB bolt was made - by whoever made it (which is in effect 'no' because it seems that the spec of the bolt is not published by MB)

'Yes' if the MB-branded part also carries the OE manufacturer's Part Number in addition to the MB Part Number - as is the case with Bosch parts for example (which is again is in effect 'no', because in this case the bolt apparently does not carry the original manufacturer's Part Number)

'No' if the specification of the bolt is unknown and there is no mark to identity the OE manufacturer and the OE Part Number.

Now the ins and outs of the Tier-1 Automotive supply chain is an intriguing subject by itself - and I have some first hand knowledge of it having contracted for Delphi Diesel Systems for 12 years (they were Lucas Diesel Systems when I started working with them, then Lucas-Varity, then TRW, then Delphi, now privately owned...), working in their Gillingham and Sudbury plants - but not related to the OP and before we know it yet another thread goes into Hyper-Space (something I admit to have been occasionally guilty off in the past).

So the short answer - to my mind, other may differ - is 'no, you can not buy an identical bolt if you do not know the spec or the manufacturer'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom