MB dealer nuts and bolts - whats the difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why did you ask Me specifically? Hotrodder had also posted similar information to my post.

Because I thought you were in the industry and you are a fairly knowledgeable bloke - and I guess because you said MB don't make bolts. I think they do from a legal perspective but I may be wrong when it comes to the Auto industry.

I not poking you, and I really don't want this to descend into fight just wanted to understand if the auto industry is the same as the pressure equipment industry, that's all, nothing else.
And I guess the reason for this is the Insurance cos here are really tight on mods to cars - especially since the Ch Ch quake. If you have modified your car and have no certification you could well be without insurance.

This is not an argument, it is more of a fact finding discussion in my book, that's all. :)

When there are motor accident the authorities really do investigate the causes now in NZL at least, if they find a non genuine bolt on a car failed & contributed to an accident and you bought and fitted it you can be in trouble.

Last edited:
Because I thought you were in the industry and you are a fairly knowledgeable bloke - and I guess because you said MB don't make bolts. I think they do from a legal perspective but I may be wrong when it comes to the Auto industry.

I not poking you, and I really don't want this to descend into fight just wanted to understand if the auto industry is the same as the pressure equipment industry, that's all, nothing else.
And I guess the reason for this is the Insurance cos here are really tight on mods to cars - especially since the Ch Ch quake. If you have modified your car and have no certification you could well be without insurance.

This is not an argument, it is more of a fact finding discussion in my book, that's all. :)

When there are motor accident the authorities really do investigate the causes now in NZL at least, if they find a non genuine bolt on a car failed & contributed to an accident and you bought and fitted it you can be in trouble.
NP :)

In the UK, unless a mod was obvious and directly attributable to a significant claim, I can't see an insurance company being interested.

Older British cars used to have all sorts of cheap bolts holding critical parts, some still do.
The chances of bolt failure is very slim, even untreated steel has a reasonable strength and fatigue resistance, all tensile bolts are to a set hardness.
Obviously if the bolt is shanked, the shank probably needs to be the correct size, but one should be available from regular suppliers.

The Mercedes bolt comes with a warranty and liability insurance. Should the car be involved in an incident, the Mercedes bolt will be covered for public liability if it fails and causes the incident.

Having worked on many vehicle program launches...as DM has stated vehicle components and systems are bought from suppliers, many of which are also design responsible...however they go through a production part approval process during vehicle intro phase, approved for series build...the 'art' is trying to find some of these parts from other sources...as in I know MB sell electronic components which can be bought direct from the supplier much cheaper, eg Bosch. So you get the same part much cheaper but without an MB tag on it...

The Mercedes bolt comes with a warranty and liability insurance. Should the car be involved in an incident, the Mercedes bolt will be covered for public liability if it fails and causes the incident.

A part sold by MB would only carry a warranty and liability cover if it was fitted by an approved MB facility but we are really pushing the realms of probability here.

It is also probable that a MB bolt will have been manufactured and assured by the manufacturer to meet a certain specification in terms of dimensions and tolerances and also strength and tolerances. Bolts that are manufactured from batched of components which meet the required specification will be sold to MB along with a certificate guaranteeing compliance to the specification and ultimately sold to you for £9.00 a throw. There is also a big chance that the MB bolts will have been manufactured under a TS16949 quality Management System. So what are you getting for the extra £8.00? Basically the assurance that the bolt has been verified as being suitable for the application.

Alternatively, what you are getting is the same bolt with a 200% mark up at every MB division it touches, central purchasing, continental warehouse, local dealer.

Alternatively, what you are getting is the same bolt with a 200% mark up at every MB division it touches, central purchasing, continental warehouse, local dealer.

Quite possibly so. But without seeing the bolt's spec, you just don't know.

The way I would put it is:

For sure an identical bolt for a fraction of the cost can be purchased - but can you find this bolt?

It may or may not be the next bolt you pick up from the tray at Homebase or B&Q.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom