1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

MB Diesel Engine-615. 2.0l or 2.2l

Discussion in 'Classifieds - Mercedes Parts' started by jackasti, Sep 24, 2016.

1. jackasti

jackasti New Member

Car:
    1972 250CE
    [FONT=&quot]I bought a 1970 Mercedes 280 CE (Coupe) to obtain a few parts and this was in the engine compartment. I contacted the previous owner, who is a mechanical engineer, who rebuilt this unit but found it underpowered for the coupe and started a rebuild of a 2.8l
    He claims to have done less than 100 miles on this rebuilt unit !! and the exterior seems to bear this out. Last run.....

"a-long-time-ago"[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    Numbers:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]On the side of the engine block:

6150111801 with the number 9 positioned about half an inch higher to the right. Probably to avoid a moulding..This would make it an 11 digit number sequence.
    To the right of this number and lower: 265/74

Front of the cylinder head: 615 518 1101.....the "518" is indistinct.. To the right of this number is 77/4
    My limited research indicates that this could be a 2 litre or 2.2 litre.

This engine will probably fit just about any of the Mercedes line-up of the 1960s-70s

The power steering pump, starter motor, alternator, engine mounts and fuel pump are all in place. I also have a box full of linkages and tubes.

It may start when connected to power and fuel, but it may not, so it is sold as may be requiring a degree of mechanical intervention.
    You are more than welcome to come and poke it with a spanner/hammer before bidding.
    You will need to bring some form of lifting rig and suitable transport if you buy it, I will of course, give a hand.

I should imagine that the component parts (cylinder head, steering pump, fuel pump, torque converter etc) are worth more than the listing price.

As mentioned, I know next to nothing about the mechanics but feel free to bounce simple questions off me:Happy to send pictures[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]email: colinbonfield@aol.com
    Good Luck
    Colin: 01485570286

PS: I have a shed full of Classic Mercedes parts mainly W114/ W115 Coupe[/FONT]

2. a111r

a111r Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S123 240TD, S210 320cdi.
    Sounds like a 2 litre if it's a 615?
    How much are you asking?

3. OP
    OP
    jackasti

jackasti New Member

Car:
    1972 250CE
    Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding. Been out and about.

I have it listed on Ebay: Item No:272386408517 at £275. Plenty of picture so you should have an idea of what it is. I know nothing about diesels.

If it does not sell I will break it down and dispose of the parts- Cylinderhead, power steering pump, fuel injector pump, block , starter etc and probably double the current listing price but I would rather sell as a complete unit.

Colin: 01485 570286: colinbonfield@aol.com

4. OP
    OP
    jackasti

jackasti New Member

Car:
    1972 250CE
    UPDATE:
    Engine has now been properly identified as a 2.2l. 615-917.
    I have relisted it on Ebay:
    Classic Mercedes Diesel Engine ( 615-917 ) 2.2L. (272441428752)
    I had a chat with the previous owner who spent £1500 on a full rebuild and only ran it for 25 miles befor he realised it was'nt the sort of thing to put in a W114 coupe and expect a sporty preformance....although he would have had an inproved mpg!!

5. sl300 ireland

sl300 ireland Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R107W124sW111W123s
    ???????

Is it sold