MB Extended warranties - to buy or not to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobertoMercini

Car
E250 BlueEff Coupe
I've read a couple of threads that make mention of such warranties but my used approved warranty is almost done and as you'd expect, MB have contacted me with my options. No guess as to cost yet but I thought I'd canvass opinion - a 4 year old e coupe that's covered 40k and will do no more than 10k a year.

Are the MB tier warranties good vfm? Anyone got any good/bad examples that I can use in my decision making process?

Cheers!!

Its insurance. Unlike car insurance its not a legal requirement.

Its only worth it if you claim.

Only you can decide if the reassurance gained by having it is worth the money.I suppose it depends on just how upset you would be to have a 1-2k bill on your plate. Chances are small. Peeps will post about how their car had a huge bill covered by such a warranty. However that does not tell you about the denominator (total number of cars of that make and age driving around the country).

People sell insurance to make money, not to do you a favour. I suspect only a small number of the total 4y old e coupes driving around will ever need warrant work in the forthcoming 2-3years that would offset the cost of the insurance.

People sell insurance to make money, not to do you a favour.

That's a point worth remembering, some of them are quite pushy about it too. I guess it attracts a certain type.

As and when I tire of pushy insurance salesmen (and it doesn't take long, normally), I find the best approach is to look them in the eye and ask "what fun's life without a bit of risk, then?". Puts them on the back foot, every time ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

I declined the continued warranty as they wanted over £50 pm for the privilege , when this was added to my service plan (which I did take) it would have been almost £1200 pa + consumables + fuel + insurance + tax to keep my car on the road which I felt was just a little too much even for the CLS.

I will just need to see what happens regarding breakdowns etc.

Kenny

Its about piece of mind, are you an optimist or a pessimist...

The Tier 1 Mercedes warranty is excellent, and below 60,000 miles is good value. It offers effectively the same cover as the Approved Used Warranty.

The price doubles above 60,000 miles which leads to more critical consideration!!

automaniaman said:
Its about piece of mind, are you an optimist or a pessimist...
I'm an optimist but can't win an argument. My football accumulators tend to last a few minutes of a weekend so wondering whether to see if my luck improves...

My father just bought an 09 CL500 with 60k from a MB dealer. It came with 12mth warranty and he paid £1600 for an extra 2 yr on top giving 3 yr in total.

Gotta ask the question E280wilson, is it a legit mercedes extended warranty? Only ask as i've just brought a CL500 09 plate 40k on clock from manchester dealer, when i enquired about extended warranty it was a flat blank no, mercedes will contact you direct when warranty is up, at present, cost of £1500pa.

Audi done the same when i brought an RS4, gave me an extra 2 year warranty on the deal, when i claimed, it was through a third party, not audi direct, had no issues, but wasn't the full on audi warranty....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom