MB Mechanic speeding 100mph in my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ian

Car
C63 AMG
I took my car into the local MB dealer today because I had a problem with the brakes not being efficient enough.

To cut a long story short after the had worked on my car a mechanic took it out for a "test drive". Now as it happens I have a dash cam in my car and I decided to see where they went on the test drive.

What I saw was shocking. In part of the film he is behind a van and slows down to about 20mph while he waits for the van to get some distance. He then floors it to a speed of 117 mph !!

Now I know this would do the car no harm at all but I'm bloody livid that it's been driven at these speeds by a main dealer mechanic.

I'm going to phone to complain in the morning..... Or should I just go in with my laptop and play the footage to one of their managers !

I'd take the evidence in and show them. That tech will be in trouble without doubt.

He probably owns a Fiesta and wanted to see how your C63 performs:doh:

Ask for the next 3 years servicing for free .

My dealer once they found out I had a camera in my car just disconnected it.

I would definitely register my opinion with the manager.

If bringing it to there attention is your intent, then a visit in person will avoid any fobbing.

There was a previous thread where someone had experienced much the same , as I recall they complained and received profuse apology as well as a free service .

More significantly , the matter was reported to the police since the vehicle owner would have been the recipient of the request for the driver's details had the offence been detected ( which it just might have been ) and the mechanic found himself looking for new employment .

It's your call , but reporting the matter to the police might be the wisest thing , unless you fancy defending any charge that might arrive at your door .

Taking the laptop in and confronting the manager ( giving them a 'souvenir' disc ) and making it very clear that any NIP which may arrive will be forwarded for their attention , might be amusing and might sharpen their mind .

The brakes weren't efficient enough, the tech had to test them......

Amazes me customer complains mechanic tests out car and gets flamed for exceeding speed limit. Sometimes high speed braking is the only way to find faults if nothing is apparent at normal speeds either you want the problem solving or you don't, how do you know the tech wasn't a qualified advanced driver?

Having not seen the footage it's difficult to say but unless it shows dangerous driving I wouldn't get concerned about the speed

No question the law has been broken but no real drama either

Amazes me customer complains mechanic tests out car and gets flamed for exceeding speed limit. Sometimes high speed braking is the only way to find faults if nothing is apparent at normal speeds either you want the problem solving or you don't, how do you know the tech wasn't a qualified advanced driver?

Having not seen the footage it's difficult to say but unless it shows dangerous driving I wouldn't get concerned about the speed

No question the law has been broken but no real drama either

lol are you a MB mechanic ?
As it happens the brake fault was with the parking brake. When applied on a slope the car would roll back a before stopping.
So in my personal opinion a road test after adjusting a park brake does not require driving at speeds of 117 mph !!.... On a "B" road.
If the tech loses his job over this then so be it. He shouldn't be driving mine or anybody else's car at those speeds. He's bloody lucky I'm not passing the footage to the police as well.

I'd take it to Police personally, 117Mph in my car? No chance.

Only a matter of time until the mechanic kills someone if that's what they normally get up to.

-Ian said:
lol are you a MB mechanic ? As it happens the brake fault was with the parking brake. When applied on a slope the car would roll back a before stopping. So in my personal opinion a road test after adjusting a park brake does not require driving at speeds of 117 mph !!.... On a "B" road. If the tech loses his job over this then so be it. He shouldn't be driving mine or anybody else's car at those speeds. He's bloody lucky I'm not passing the footage to the police as well.

Yes I Am a qualified mechanic and your OP is misleading you say " problem with the brakes" which is totally different to a problem with the parking brake. I hope you were clearer than this when you explained the problem to the dealer ?

If you explained it was a parking brake issue alone then I agree no need for a high speed test and I understand your concern but communication is everything to the person who is trying to solve your problem, just as poor communication on Internet forums can be misleading

I agree with Ian (flango). OP posts problem with brakes that now turns into problem with parking brake. More to this story perhaps...?

Last edited:
Yes I Am a qualified mechanic and your OP is misleading you say " problem with the brakes" which is totally different to a problem with the parking brake. I hope you were clearer than this when you explained the problem to the dealer ?

If you explained it was a parking brake issue alone then I agree no need for a high speed test and I understand your concern but communication is everything to the person who is trying to solve your problem, just as poor communication on Internet forums can be misleading

Of course I explained the problem to the dealer. Also even if it was a problem with the main breaking system there is absolutely no need for those types of speed and no amount of your reasoning otherwise is going to change the way I feel.
The reason I didn't say the exact problem is I didn't think I would get the Spanish inquisition. It doesn't matter what fault the car went in for. Bottom line is you don't drive customers cars at 117 mph on a public road and expect to get away with it.
It's illegal and a complete disregard for property.

117 in a C63? Hardly likely to break it, is it? Make a complaint? Perhaps, it's arguably poor care of your property. Get the police involved? Life's too short in my opinion. You have the evidence should your car have been caught speeding by the authorities.

Makes you wonder what else goes on or maybe not when car is getting serviced or checked over...

I agree with Ian (flango). OP posts problem with brakes that now turns into problem with parking brake. More to this story perhaps...?

Eh ? What more to the story could there be..

Mechanic drives customers car at 117 mph on a public road.

Mechanic wasn't savvy enough to pull the lead for the camera out of the 12v socket.

Mechanic gets caught.

End of story.

Assuming that the bloke was not driving dangerously I do feel a little sorry for him. Mouths to feed and all that.

Can also understand why the OP is upset - but it's not like it's going to break the car.

In the unlikely event that a NIP is received OP can put the garages details so no liability on him.

Shame there is no way to have a quiet word rather than go formal in my opinion.

-Ian said:
Bottom line is you don't drive customers cars at 117 mph on a public road and expect to get away with it. It's illegal and a complete disregard for property.

I've seen this so many times we had a customer come in with a misfire happening about 119mph another customer complained of brake judder at 130 mph solve those without braking the speed limit if you can.

It's only disregard if been driven dangerously or inconsiderately, its a performance car, are you telling me you never take it over 70mph?

When in glass houses don't throw stones :)

Eh ? What more to the story could there be..

Mechanic drives customers car at 117 mph on a public road.

Mechanic wasn't savvy enough to pull the lead for the camera out of the 12v socket.

Mechanic gets caught.

End of story.
"I took my car into the local MB dealer today because I had a problem with the brakes not being efficient enough. "

This is misleading, is this what you said to the garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom