MB Vaneo replace instrument Cluster with tablet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vaneoHacker

Car
W414
Dear MBclub members

its my first post here. I'm an owner of a 2005 W414 Vaneo that I've had for over 8 years now. Its the most compact 7 seater with sliding doors and I've travelled all over Europe with it.

Recently I've started having niggles with the instrument cluster (the perennial left indicator not working,, which is the same as the problem in the related W168 A classes). I know that the solution that people suggest is replacing the instrument cluster... But I thought to myself... why can't I replace the instrument cluster with an OBD2 + widescreen tablet... which would be both cheaper and cooler.

My question is, would the car still work if I simply rip out the instrument cluster and replace it with a 7" tablet loaded with torque pro (and maybe built in GPS) ?

I could design and 3D print a new cover for it myself, wire the tablet up and hook it up to the OBD adaptor... all that's pretty easy.

Dear MBclub members

its my first post here. I'm an owner of a 2005 W414 Vaneo that I've had for over 8 years now. Its the most compact 7 seater with sliding doors and I've travelled all over Europe with it.

Recently I've started having niggles with the instrument cluster (the perennial left indicator not working,, which is the same as the problem in the related W168 A classes). I know that the solution that people suggest is replacing the instrument cluster... But I thought to myself... why can't I replace the instrument cluster with an OBD2 + widescreen tablet... which would be both cheaper and cooler.

My question is, would the car still work if I simply rip out the instrument cluster and replace it with a 7" tablet loaded with torque pro (and maybe built in GPS) ?

I could design and 3D print a new cover for it myself, wire the tablet up and hook it up to the OBD adaptor... all that's pretty easy.

The car will still start.

You will need to develop a display system that also works with all the warning lights , rev counter, fuel gauge, temperature gauge and mileage display. What about service notifications? radio stations etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom