MB W220 & Jag XJ (X350) Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Well following on from my thread yesterday asking about S class suspension one of the guys who I drink with has asked me to try and source him an S Class W220 preferably S500 but he's open to other engine options. I'm looking at 2004/5 vintage max maybe earlier to leave a few shillings to put things right.

So all advice welcome

Also he considered a Jag XJ either 3.0 V6 or 4.2 V8 so any advice on these too would be welcome in case a W220 becomes too difficult to find a reasonable one.

TIA

I owned a 2004 X350 XJ8 4.2 Sport for two years and sold it in 2011.

Being honest the looks are a little dated, but in a good way. It has that classic Jag shape and look in a way the modern ones don't really. If you can get on with the looks then the rest is fantastic.

It was a much better car than I ever thought it would be. The interior is just a lovely place to be and easily the best screwed together interior of any car I have owned.

The seats are quite supportive without being silly about it and the quality of the leather is great. The trim and equipment was very good too. Mine had the touch screen sat nav which comes in for a bit of criticism, but was better than the Command in my SL. The premium sound system is very good for an OEM system and again better than the Bose in the SL.

Cruising on the motorway is wonderful as it is so quiet and you can have a conversation at a whisper. On twisty B roads the CATS suspension does its bets, but it's no sportscar and neither should it be. That said you can still make rapid enough progress.

In the two years I owned the car nothing went wrong and all I spent was servicing and two new rear tyres. There were no rattles or squeaks and the sound when you close the doors is very satisfying (I know that sounds stupid, but it makes a difference).

My best memory was arriving at Haydock racecourse for a meeting one evening and being waved into the VIP car park just because the car looked the part. Also driving up to Castle Howard on a cold crisp winter's morning... the car just felt so right there.

I really miss it sometimes and will definitely have another one one day!

X350 is a great car, but don't go for the v6, it's not the greatest engine in the world.

The v8 is the one to have!!

Peter T said:
X350 is a great car, but don't go for the v6, it's not the greatest engine in the world. The v8 is the one to have!!

Cheers Peter I know the 4.2 V8 pretty well but just looking and there's also a 3.5 V8 which I wasn't aware of

What's the problem with the 3.0 V6?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Cheers Peter I know the 4.2 V8 pretty well but just looking and there's also a 3.5 V8 which I wasn't aware of

I tried a 3.0 V6 before I bought the 4.2. It isn't really enough of an engine to haul the car round in a Jag like manner is the best way I can describe it.

It also suffers issues with the induction system when it gets towards 70K miles due to various seals and the likes perishing. The 4.2 is the one to have really... remember... grace, space and pace :D

If you get a 2003 onwards S500 you'll save yourself hassle down the line. Pretty much the whole car was revised.
From the galvanised body to the improved electronic switches.

I may be talking rubbish, but I seem to remember my son telling me that the v6 engines are bought in from Ford rather than being OE Jaguar.

Appart from being a bit underpowered, the Ford/Jag relationship is long dead so the supply of spares for these engines could be problem.

I now it's each to there own but ...... Ummm. Don't you need to be 70+ to be in this? (Tongue in cheek)

An old Jag I love. This model is nice inside but on the outside well it just doesn't do anything for me.

I guess if you aren't really into what you car looks like then the ride and toys are great but I just don't get it.

I for one like the classic, timeless looks.
I think it actually looks better year after year.

Jaguar-XJ-Series-4-2-V8-XJR-Supercharged-4dr-Auto-2005.jpg

JAGU0106.jpg

I don't know what stature your friend is but as much as I always liked the looks of the Jag, it's another case of big car with a disproportionately small, tight cabin. Been in a few and was always purgatory space wise. Even with the front seat at lowest setting and as far back as it would go, still had to maintain the position of a praying monk.

I may be talking rubbish, but I seem to remember my son telling me that the v6 engines are bought in from Ford rather than being OE Jaguar.

Appart from being a bit underpowered, the Ford/Jag relationship is long dead so the supply of spares for these engines could be problem.

I didn't realize this until I've just spoken to a guy I know in Ford, the 3.0 V6 is a Ford Duratec unit, which means the bottom end is bomb proof but comes with the well known intake issues which are not insurmountable. Its also a great engine to screw more power out of by top end mods. The engine is still in production so spares shouldn't be an issue. It's basically the starting point for the engine in the Noble I'm looking at

V8 is still the route but nothing wrong with the V6 once fettled :D

I don't know what stature your friend is but as much as I always liked the looks of the Jag, it's another case of big car with a disproportionately small, tight cabin. Been in a few and was always purgatory space wise. Even with the front seat at lowest setting and as far back as it would go, still had to maintain the position of a praying monk.

That's interesting. Complete contrast to the W220. Acres of head and leg room and plenty of width to spare.

Fortunately he's only 5ft 7" :D so cant see it been an issue but thanks for mentioning it :thumb:

Fortunately he's only 5ft 7" :D so cant see it been an issue but thanks for mentioning it :thumb:

I'm 5' 7" and it was fine for me..... while there is less room inside than you might think there should be it is not small by any stretch of the imagination.

Four of us did a 600 mile round trip in mine with luggage and everyone was more than comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom