MBz issues recall for SBC brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam1

Car
E220CDI avantgarde-tansanite blue with sand-cream leather .Honda Civic, Honda Stream SESport( 160bhp
Just spoke to dealer...knows nothing yet and asked me to wait for a letter.
Typical Mb service...deny a recall exists and ignore the customer.

Anway you can read story at. i've rang MB CS and they CONFIRM recall.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=10397

This was expected. There is another thread on this site about this…there have been several complete brake failure events reported with SBC. MB Germany have had a team of engineers working on the problem for at least 6 months according to the German car mag AutoBild.

Of course, DaimlerChrysler are shy to admit anything; they do not want the law suits to start flying around. And BMWs new 5 series has just been launched so they do not want to damage the MB brand.

So much for MB pledges for keeping safety at the top of their agenda.

Interesting, thanks Adam. Mine's going in for a service in two weeks, hope they can sort it out then.

Dealer is getting an ear bashing in the morning.

1 . cause of the brakes.

2 . cause im still waiting to get all my 5 rear seatbelts changed :devil:

lol, there was a link on here a few months back with a few american cases with the same problem, most people, including MB didnt believe them!

Jay

I'd heard of issues in the UK press, but this is the first I'd heard of a recall.

fuzzer said:
2 . cause im still waiting to get all my 5 rear seatbelts changed :devil:
The seatbelt thing is a joke, apparently the company that makes the seatbelt buckles couldn't meet the demand! I was told that unlike the usual situation when something isn't in stock it goes on "back order", the company refused to take any more orders for seatbelt buckles! This left a lot of MB stealerships looking stupid because HQ had sent the letters out informing customers to take their cars in ASAP, and they couldn't actually do the work. Needless to say a lot of customers didn't feel happy driving around in a car with a safety issue like faulty seatbelts so were dumping their cars on the stealership forecourt and demaning courtesy cars until the cars were repaired. I'm told this didn't go down very well at all.

So given that my E220 is currently being 'prepped' by the dealer should I assume this will be rectified before I take delivery of it?

Andy Stanton said:
So given that my E220 is currently being 'prepped' by the dealer should I assume this will be rectified before I take delivery of it?

I wouldnt count on it :(

Here is the MB Press Release. I note the phrases "provisional check", "precautionary measure" and "asked to bring in". Wonder what all that really translates into.

Perhaps the bit "the SBC system's additional hydraulic function mode ensured that it provided a level of braking efficiency which was still higher than the applicable legal requirements" gives a clue.

A person more cynical than myself might speculate it could run like this:

"SBC system is great but might sometimes pack up. The driver then has to apply a higher brake pedal force to stop car. Use insufficient pressure and the driver may wrongly think entire brake system has suffered total failure when in fact it is still capable of meeting applicable legal standards with proper use of the backup system.

"We will carry out a check of your vehicle to ensure it is OK. So, unless the SBC and backup brake system then really do both fail, our lawyers tell us it will not be our fault if your SBC brake assist goes, you are a feather footed wuss and so crash in the back of a skip."

Send this link to your dealer if they still act dumb

http://www.media.daimlerchrysler.com/gms_frame

Provisional check of SBC-System: Mercedes asks owners of E-Class and SL-Class vehicles to bring their vehicles in to workshops

Stuttgart, May 12, 2004
Since October 2001, the response of both customers and the media to the performance, comfort and convenience of the SBC system (Sensotronic Brake Control) has been very positive. The company has become aware of a small number of faults. These have been investigated with all due care and rectified as appropriate. In all of these few cases, the SBC system's additional hydraulic function mode ensured that it provided a level of braking efficiency which was still higher than the applicable legal requirements. In this mode, visual and acoustic signals warn the driver, who can then bring the vehicle to a stop with a longer pedal travel and greater force on the pedal.
Analysis showed that it was primarily vehicles with a high mileage in conjunction with very frequent braking (e.g. taxis in inner-city operation) which were affected. All owners of taxis in Europe have already been offered a free check of the SBC system, at which any faults are then rectified. As a further measure, a check has been included in the regular scope of maintenance servicing for all vehicles fitted with SBC.

As a precautionary measure and irrespective of mileage and servicing status, the company is asking all customers with E-Class Saloons (built as of March 2002), E-Class Estates (built as of March 2003) and SL-Class Roadsters (built as of October 2001) to visit an authorised Mercedes-Benz workshop for a free check.

Your Contact

Norbert Giesen
Phone +49 711 17 7 64 22
Fax +49 711 17 9 14 37

Wolfgang Zanker
Phone ++49-(0)711-17-7 58 47
Fax ++49-(0)711-17-9 16 02

©1998-2004 DaimlerChrysler. All rights reserved.

My dealer knows nothing about this :confused: :confused:

Sorry, should have said my dealer pretends to know nothing about this :rolleyes:

Thats like my dealer didnt know anything about the seatbelts either :crazy:

Phone my dealer yesterday morning, still no call back :mad:

When I called them about the seatbelt they said I'd have had a letter if my car was subject to recall so not to worry. When I asked them to check the VIN number to be sure because I have 2 little OG's that go in the car with me, they discovered that it was subject to the recall and booked me in.

Car booked in for brakes a week today. After much discussion and after the dealer telling us it was only affecting cars that had done 300,000 presses. When i quoted that DC press release they admitted they were doing the recalls next week and our car is one of the first to be done

Dealer thinks we is taking the mik about seatbelts :crazy:

fuzzer said:
Car booked in for brakes a week today. After much discussion and after the dealer telling us it was only affecting cars that had done 300,000 presses. When i quoted that DC press release they admitted they were doing the recalls next week and our car is one of the first to be done

Dealer thinks we is taking the mik about seatbelts :crazy:

Lucky u...been told I'd have to wait for letter from Mb dealer where i bought car b4 bringing car in......this is the same dealer who nicked my wheels....well i think i need to remind them which car it is....and insist on work done within the hour...not leaving my car with the thieving baskets.

Whats this recall about the seat belts all about :confused:
The dustbins go in the back in their little seats and if theres a prob with belts I need to know.

Does mine need checking :confused:

Mine was ok, it was only cars built between certain dates but I don't have any more details sorry.

I can't remeber exactly but I think it was to do with them not always engaging fully. There was nothing wrong with the belts themselves, they basically replace the part that the belts clip in to.

Interestingly, prior to mine being replaced, my 7yr old couldn't fasten the belt himself, he could after they were replaced so I hasten to suggest that mine were dodgy!

Mine's an Oct '03, as Richard said it only affected cars built within in a certain time frame - always worth a call to the dealer to be sure though.

marcos said:
My dealer knows nothing about this :confused: :confused:

Sorry, should have said my dealer pretends to know nothing about this :rolleyes:

My car was serviced on tuesday at Hertford and they bought up about the recall and that they had completed that too.

Mines in today Richard and they are doing the recall too. I only rang up on tuesday to book in for a "D" Service and they said some time in July :mad: . I rang back and talked to someone I know and got it in for today :D
What mileage was yours on Richard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom