McLaren excluded from Australian Grand Prix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Ooops

Looks like McLaren might have been naughty and have now been disqualified from the Australian GP and Toyota reinstated to 3rd place

:) I'm a bit on the slow side :)

Nice to be here

TBH That just about finishes F1 for me, it is no longer about the racing, and what you watch on the TV means absoloutly nothing.

Good to hear from you John.

I know how most of us are Hamilton fans but if McLaren are guilty then so be it :)

I'm a Button fan, not that I dislike Hamilton...just I'm a Button fan.

It is looking like the Mclaren allowed the Toyota to allegedly regain its third place.

The McLaren allowed the Toyota to go by and then when giving evidence they were perhaps guilty of not giving a truthful account of that specific event :)

Well, I've read what I can find on it and I'm confused.

All I can see is the Stewards are accusing Hamilton of Lying and as a result the entire team is being penalised. Anyone read it different.

Also the Vettel penalty seems to be under review also...I did actually think that was a little harsh, that was a racing incident if I've ever seen one.

It's getting silly now, we can't have a post mortem after every knock in a race...next thing you know they'll be introducing a points system on the super licences....reach 12 points you're banned for the rest of the season.....Then no claims bonuses, it's racing people, they crash every now and again.

Below are both drivers quotes

"When the safety car came out towards the end of the race, Lewis Hamilton passed me but soon after he suddenly slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road," he said in a team statement at the time.

"I thought he had a problem so I overtook him as there was nothing else I could do."

Hamilton had told Speed TV that Trulli went wide onto the grass at the second to last corner.

"I was forced to go by. I slowed down as much as I could. I was told to let him back past, but I mean ... I don't know if that's the regulations, and if it isn't, then I should have really had third," said the Briton.

Hamilton clearly says he was told to let Trulli back past him and obviously pulled off the racing line to do so, They denied this in the original inquiry in Melbourne. So looks like that was he start of the lies :mad:

Last edited:
Setting conspiracy theories aside for a second, is it possible LH did actually lie & got found out?

If he was told, then it will have been recorded, no? Knowing that, he would have been very foolish to lie. We'll see.

Setting conspiracy theories aside for a second, is it possible LH did actually lie & got found out?

I think he did - but sadly the whole system after last year is screwed.

YT made his mistake. LH passes. LH and his team now think they have made a mistake and LH slows. YT passes. End of race.

So everybody looks at the rules and the confusion is such that LH and McLaren now think they're possibly screwed for doing the right thing. Yes there's points but they're possibly screwed. They see where this is going and don't come clean. Let's not forget they also have the incentive for the extra points. Of course this leaves YT screwed.

But what of LH if he'd been clear from the start? They were probably afraid of a retrospective 25s drive through penalty - that would have wiped off all their points.

F1 set up this trap. Trulli triggered it. And LH made a bad decision and got caught.

The 'sport' is a sad joke. In football the ref makes a decision and things don't get 'legal'. In F1 what we see is the equivalent of a legal adverserial refereeing system with the concept of 'contempt of court'. The 'sport' suffers as we saw last year and right from the get-go this year.

Welcome back John, look forward to lots more input from you from now on. Is it too much to ask from the Formula1 teams and stewards to give us some fair and honest races? Otherwise shooting yourself in the foot seems to be on the cards.

If he was told, then it will have been recorded, no? Knowing that, he would have been very foolish to lie. We'll see.

I think this is the problem the transmissions are recorded but not necesscarily monitored live. I think Mclaren were so confused by the incident they screwed up, so when the officials listened to the radio transmissions they did not match the evidence given at the original enquiry in Melbourne.

I,ve already stopped watching F1 because of all the dodgy "decisions" made by stewards after the end of the race.....this has put the nail in the coffin for me.....it all seems very harsh. I'm fed up with the whole political mess that F1 has become...

As far as I can see, Mclaren/Hamilton were in a bit of a no-win situation...if LH stayed ahead of JT then they risked a penalty for overtaking under yellow flag.....thus it seems that LH let JT back through just in case and is now being penalised for "playing safe". I don't know what LH said to the Stewards or why Stewards did not review car radio transmissions that took place at the time of the incident (it would seem to me that this was the obvious thing to do, but , hey, I'm not a steward). This fiasco and the end result could have been avoided if the Stewards had done their job and research properly before imposing their original penalty on JT. The viewing public deserve more that this...F1 is a "world" sport and deserves better management than this. I would expect more professionalism at my local track than this.

well mclaren were scared after last years rash of penalties.
They let trulli pass clearly as seen on TV lewis really slowed down. Why he did not tell that to the stewards is beyond me but i believe he would have been screwed anyway by the FIA if he did not let trulli pass.
Either way Mclaren are still scared and it goes to show, that there should be an open line to the stewards to decide what goes on there and then. much like football referees instant decisions on results

This is why no one likes video in football for certain decisions. How long do we wait now after a race to tell who has actually won it?

As far as I can see, Mclaren/Hamilton were in a bit of a no-win situation...if LH stayed ahead of JT then they risked a penalty for overtaking under yellow flag.....thus it seems that LH let JT back through just in case and is now being penalised for "playing safe".

Last year's decision at Spa was a magnitude worse IMO. That was refered to Whiting.

In Six nations rugby we now get to hear the ref via the microphone. It's interesting to hear the ref 'coaching' the teams as they play. They will state they don't like something before ot amounts to a penalty.

F1 needs something like this and they already have the means to communicate with the drivers. A quick and fair means of dealing with potential transgressions before they become major embarrassment. So if somebody falls back too far in the safety car crocodile then they get a call from the ref. No remedial action and it escalates to penalty.

Similarly the situation on Sunday or at Spa last year could be dealt with verbally. The ref would be allowed to impose rolling on-track time or place penalties of say 5s or 10s or 1 or 2 positions or car lengths by telling a car to slow down on the straight. (In bunched traffic you'd probably make it places and if there are no cars close behind then you make it time based or car lengths).

The aim would be to avoid post race enquiries for anything other than scrutineering based technical infingements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom