Meeting a buyer halfway?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I'm selling a car (an old S320, but as it was used in a charity event, it is covered in sand!) and have a query...

It's on eBay, and within an hour of being there someone asked me what my buy-it-now price was. I suggested I would be happy with £500 as I just want it off my drive they could have it.

Scrap value is £230, and salvage is £400 - so the price seemed rightish.

Just got a response saying that they're interested, but that as they are in Leeds the train down would be quite expensive and if I was willing to meet them half way.

Logistics/cost aside, what would you do? I would never buy a car at a petrol station, and would insist at meeting the seller at the V5-registered address... is that just me?

Should I just get the salvage company who offered £400 to come and pick it up? It's driveable, and is taxed/tested, so I could technically drive it halfway to Leeds - just not sure that's a good idea...

M.

They are having a laugh expecting you to pay travel costs on a £500 car - walk away, they sound like trouble.

Another buyer will be along shortly.

humm, for the sake of 100 squid is it worth the hassle?

If they want it that bad then they would come down and get it. Bloomin bargain hunters.

Save yourself the hassle and get the scrappers to pick it up. Just cost your time and petrol and getting back and it's obvious. Get the refund on the tax too.

Last edited:
Tell him to come to your place and you'll put enough fuel in to get him home

Get it up on here! Sounds like a cheap banger for a forum member.

I wouldn't go out my way to meet someone tho

As others have said, typical ebay chancer.

When I sold the car I replaced with my e320 on ebay the winner claimed not to have known how far away I was and asked for money off for fuel, and, get this - his travel time. Some people defy belief.

As others have said, typical ebay chancer.

When I sold the car I replaced with my e320 on ebay the winner claimed not to have known how far away I was and asked for money off for fuel, and, get this - his travel time. Some people defy belief.

I've not heard that one before. :doh:

I usually just get people offering me less than the first bid when the car still has 6 days left.

Might as well advertise here on the forum, I'm sure someone could put it to good use.

So you pay for the fuel to get there and your own return costs ?

Nah, I'm out on that one .....

My wife (a very wealthy Nigerian Princess) is in the market for a car. If you could send me your bank details - sort code, account name and number and your pin? I am sure we can reach a deal. She would be prepared to travel to your location and take the car (assuming you have forwarded your bank details). Oh, to avoid any bad feelings (remember she is doing a you a big favour here) could you also ensure that the car has a full tank of fuel.

Tell him you would be delighted to meet him halfway, but as the original price was two grand, would he be happy to reciprocate?

Tell him to jog on down and theres a bottle of lucozade waiting for him.
Don't waste your time with timewasters like that. If he wants it he's gunna have to come get it. Simples.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

You could try suggesting to him that the coach is usually cheaper than the train, but that's as far as I'd go. If he wants it, he'll come and get it.

Thanks - glad it's just not me being unreasonable!

Seller responded to.

As to listing it here, I fear that I deserve a flogging for what I did to the car :p I coated it in 2-3 liters for PVA glue, and then several buckets of sand... the sunroof doesn't even open anymore as a result...

M.

Spinal said:
Thanks - glad it's just not me being unreasonable!

Seller responded to.

As to listing it here, I fear that I deserve a flogging for what I did to the car :p I coated it in 2-3 liters for PVA glue, and then several buckets of sand... the sunroof doesn't even open anymore as a result...

M.

Ah, when you said it was covered with sand I assumed it just needed a good wash! I think pictures may be necessary so the collective can judge you on your desecration!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom