Mega Mercedes Day!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
Today I was privileged to be allowed to go in some very special Mercedes. Each one cost over £200k! I was given special security clearance to be allowed to go in the Mercedes fire engine under the English Channel in the service tunnel to the Eurotunnel.

Having passed through the most sophisticated security I have ever encountered, I was allowed behind the scenes and into the emergency station.

Below is a million pound of Mercs.

IMG-20121105-00223_zps77d88280.jpg

Fire Merc

IMG-20121105-00224_zps535cad71.jpg

Ambulance Merc

IMG-20121105-00226_zpsba59ced1.jpg

Police Merc

IMG-20121105-00227_zps0902dea2.jpg

Front cab

IMG-20121105-00228_zps179ad789.jpg

Back cab

IMG-20121105-00229_zps8841cbc8.jpg

Drive into airlock! The tunnel is pressurised so you drive the Merc into an airlock.

IMG-20121105-00230_zpsd48e59a3.jpg

IMG-20121105-00233_zps32d7c8b0.jpg

IMG-20121105-00244_zps87654c2d.jpg

Escape Door to main tunnel

IMG-20121105-00243_zps004f6efa.jpg

a "Station"

IMG-20121105-00237_zps2f2f3e5f.jpg

Next stop France!!

IMG-20121105-00236_zpsa6c596a5.jpg

You will notice the line in the road. The cruise control can be set to follow the wire so you don't have to steer.

A fantastic day spent with the fire and rescue guys:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Last edited:
Couldn't do that , looks too much like 'Aliens' ..... especially the 'station' :crazy:

Cool...

They are a bit small, it would take an age to evacuate a train with a few if those...

Last edited:
Hopefully they have a set at each end! Are the French ones LHD and the English ones RHD, or are the steering wheels on different sides at each end of the vehicle so that it's different depending on the direction of travel? ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Cool...

They are a bit small, it would take an age to evacuate a train with a few if those...

They don't evacuate with the engines, the take people out of the tunnel with a problem and lead them over the road to the other tunnel where a train will take them out. It was a fascinating and brilliant day! Probably not a good day if you are claustrophobic!

Hopefully they have a set at each end! Are the French ones LHD and the English ones RHD, or are the steering wheels on different sides at each end of the vehicle so that it's different depending on the direction of travel? ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

If you notice the Mercs all have french and uk plates and I think they are all identical. So we win!

Hmmm. Q-plates. That'll damage resale values... ;)

fantastic and fascinating.

thank you.

I would loved to have come.

how did you organise such a visit?

Excellent!

They look like something from a Lego set.

fantastic and fascinating.

thank you.

I would loved to have come.

how did you organise such a visit?

I'm doing some work with some of the guys who work there so they got me in. The security is like something from bond :)

It is a very strange environment.

I'm doing some work with some of the guys who work there so they got me in. The security is like something from bond :)

It is a very strange environment.

Wow, looks amazing. Would have loved seeing that. Suprised they let you take pictures though. Would have thought no cameras / camera phones allowed?

Wow, looks amazing. Would have loved seeing that. Suprised they let you take pictures though. Would have thought no cameras / camera phones allowed?

I was surprised that I was allowed to take photos as well. I even asked about posting them on a MB forum but no one is going to nick their fire engine ;)

A very enjoyable way to spend a day.
However, I think the engines would be a lot smarter with a few coats of wax :D

Last edited:
Actually I can't settle down tonight, I'm still excited. I feel like i've been playing with real thunderbirds!

The day after has seemed quite dull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom