Memory Lane Test: Operation Julie, 1978, LSD distribution, Trial at Bristol . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steviebabes

Car
2009 Cayenne S 4.8 V8 Petrol
Hi all!

I'm currently writing a dissertation on civil recovery and have seen mention of a legal case I'd like to read. Unusually, I don't have a case citation - all I have is that a House of Lords decision (following on from the Operation Julie LSD case of 1978) held that £750,000 of seized cash had to be returned to the offenders. I'd like to read this case as I'd like to see what obstacles to seizure were cited.

I've sketched through the House of Lords' caseload for 1978 to 1985 and can't spot any relevant-looking case, so am beginning to wonder if my info was duff.

Still, I'll carry on the search using speculative search terms, but I thought it worth an ask on here as I bet we have some law-related bods on the forum and someone might recall the cash seizure element of the story. If it ever happened!

Last edited:
Absolutely excellent lead - thankyou!

Should anybody else be searching and stumble upon this thread the citation is R v Cuthbertson [1980] 2 All ER 401.

There were several defendants named in the article I came across, but my search was made harder as Cuthbertson wasn't mentioned.

I'm pretty sure that one of the factories brought to a close with Operation Julie was my parents house. They rented it out as we were living abroad at the time.

The house had to remain vacant for a number of years afterwards before it could be habited. Aparently it was quite a tricky cleanup job.

I can pick my mothers brains for more detail from the time if you are interested.

Last edited:
Have you looked on BAILII? That's where we get case law from.

Www.bailii.org

(Edited for spelling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom