Mercedes 190 cosworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are these increasing in price naturally or are sellers trying it on?
Has anyone sold theirs recently and got a lot more than they paid and sold it quickly?

They've doubled in value at least over the last 5 or so years I would say.

Getting rare nowadays and people who want one are facing serious competition from collectors and such like. Supply and demand I guess as with anything rare/collectable.

Did anyone see what the 2.5-16 Evo-II made at auction recently?

1990 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5-16 Evolution II - Silverstone Auctions

Not a bad investment I guess - they were around £50k ish new and I remember when you could buy them in the £20ks only a decade ago.

Were Evo 2's in the 20's that recently? I thought they were big money a long time but not certain.
I get why they are so highly priced to a point.
My observation on the normal 2.3/2.5 is they just don't seem to have the natural desirability/pull the E30 had as it shot up. I say shot up ... It was fairly progressive to start with.
I guess what I am trying to say is it feels false at the moment.
There could be an element of regret I didn't pick up a decent one (relative) for £4K a few years ago perhaps.

Nice car,wrong colour,a very optimistic asking price,good luck to him.

Nearly bought a Evo 2 in 2002 sub 15 k miles for £22000! Missus thought it looked brash and we were in our late twenties! Doohhhhhh!
Around that time there were 3 or 4 for sale with different mileages! I guess that's Gotta go down as a huge mistake! :-(

Were Evo 2's in the 20's that recently? I thought they were big money a long time but not certain.
I get why they are so highly priced to a point.
My observation on the normal 2.3/2.5 is they just don't seem to have the natural desirability/pull the E30 had as it shot up. I say shot up ... It was fairly progressive to start with.
I guess what I am trying to say is it feels false at the moment.
There could be an element of regret I didn't pick up a decent one (relative) for £4K a few years ago perhaps.

Yes, within the last ten years there were Evo-IIs changing hands for £20-25k. Probably a few threads on this forum if you search back :)

Back then people probably thought they were expensive - ironically over the last ten years or so almost every thread where a 190E 2.3/2.5-16 comes up for sale people who've never owned one always seem to cry out that they're too expensive. Now those cars that were discussed have probably doubled-tripled in value :eek:

I'm not sure there's anything false about the value of 2.3/2.5-16s though. If anything they were undervalued for a few years and now the numbers are diminishing we're seeing a simple case of supply and demand.

I've spoken to quite a few people over the years and even recently people who have spent close to five figures to purchase one are now having to spend ££££s out in both mechanical repairs, bodywork restoration and TLC.

A £4K car a few years ago could have needed £10k worth of work by now so food for thought perhaps when considering asking prices of tidy cars in today's market. People who don't know these cars seem to want nice ones cheap but to be honest with you there's no real short cuts - you either buy a cheaper one and know that you'll spend ££££s out on it or pay top dollar for a cared for example.

There's a lot of dross though advertised for top money however - but this isn't specific to this sort of market either!

Always liked the MB cosworth but never enough to buy one, that seems to be a very tidy example for the mileage, not sure about the colour and definitely wouldn't pay that for it. :fail
In my humble opinion the MB cosworth was always over shadowed by the M3 and sapphire cosworth so the asking prices seem to be unrealistic and especially if it is based on units sold due to demand at the time, compared to it's two main rivals ... it bombed ! No-one buys a performance car because it was nearly really good.

Have you ever driven one in anger? They are fabulous and far from being inferior compared to the Ford and BMW. Vastly underrated and don't have the yobbo image the other two have. A proper Q car.

As for it bombing, far from it. Mercedes could't keep up with demand when the 2.3 was released. And Cosworth couldn't keep up with demand for the engines, so the 2.5 was produced by MB.

Last edited:
MERCEDES ANSWER TO THE BMW E30 M3

Incorrect. It was the other way round.

The car for sale is sitting on its @rse, so the SLS needs some attention.

Always loved the 190 Cosworth, should have bought one years ago, and the shame of their values rocketing is that they'll be driven less and less and simply stored away.

I do know someone with an Evo I in storage, I made him a good offer about two year ago which now would sound hilarious.

Whoever buys that is in for a nasty shock when they remove the bodykit:crazy:

Have you ever driven one in anger? They are fabulous and far from being inferior compared to the Ford and BMW. Vastly underrated and don't have the yobbo image the other two have. A proper Q car.

As for it bombing, far from it. Mercedes could't keep up with demand when the 2.3 was released. And Cosworth couldn't keep up with demand for the engines, so the 2.5 was produced by MB.

Yes I have driven one and I was very impressed with the overall package but I just didn't want one enough to buy one. I ended up buying a sapphire cosworth and never regretted the decision over the 190 or the m3. I didn't say the 190 was inferior in any way, I always liked it but it was always going to be 3rd or even lower on my shopping list at that time.
They always were and still are a rare sight on uk roads compared to it's rivals, if such a well respected / established company such as MB can't meet let alone exceed demands (as have it's rivals) for such a ground breaking car then it bombed (in terms of sales). As for being a Q car ... spoilers, badges, arches, racing pedigree etc: :fail

Didn't Top Gear do a sort of three-car test with one of these, an M3 and a Sapphire Cosworth? ISTR the MB came last in almost every aspect, including the acceleration and track tests.

They always were and still are a rare sight on uk roads compared to it's rivals, if such a well respected / established company such as MB can't meet let alone exceed demands (as have it's rivals) for such a ground breaking car then it bombed (in terms of sales)

They were not any rarer than a E30 M3 or a Sierra cosworth where i grew up...

In the early 90's I would see them all the time, they wasnt hard to find for sale either... I remember always seeing an assortment for sale in the autotrader...

I wouldnt say they bombed in any way... id be surprised if worldwide sales were less than the E30 M3....

Didn't Top Gear do a sort of three-car test with one of these, an M3 and a Sapphire Cosworth? ISTR the MB came last in almost every aspect, including the acceleration and track tests.

Yes they did but to be fare .. all three cars were knackered in various ways so it was never going to be an accurate test, but yes the MB did seem to lose out in most areas. (having said that.. it did have James May at the wheel!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom