Mercedes-Benz 280 280S 1972

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lovely old bus in what is apparently excellent nick. :thumb: When I see these cars I always feel the necessity to add a couple of riders for the benefit of prospective buyers.:( Its increasingly difficult to locate spares for these cars should the worst happen.:eek: There's an active thread about this on the official MERCEDES-BENZ CLUB forum at present. They look the business but prospective buyers will be disappointed with the day to day driving experience with fairly ponderous steering/handling and flat performance by todays standards- that's before delving into the mysteries of the constant tuning of carburettor or possibly D JETRONIC injection setup. :confused: This means realistically these cars are really consigned for fair days and holidays motoring rather than daily motoring.:eek: As long as folks recognise that they will be fine.:cool:

This means realistically these cars are really consigned for fair days and holidays motoring rather than daily motoring.:eek: As long as folks recognise that they will be fine.:cool:

But this is also true for just about every other 44 year-old car. People who have only ever driven cars from the 1990s onwards will almost always be disappointed by their first experience of driving / living with the classic that they have always dreamed of.

But this is also true for just about every other 44 year-old car. People who have only ever driven cars from the 1990s onwards will almost always be disappointed by their first experience of driving / living with the classic that they have always dreamed of.

True. I remember being profoundly disappointed driving a Daimler V8- 250 saloon----- the one with the V8 ENGINE and JAGUAR Mk2 body. Lovely engine but ponderous handling and the brakes----well lets say they left a lot to be desired? :(
1280px-1968_Daimler_2.5_V8_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg

A lovely looking car and the 2.5 V8 is an underrated unit.

Having owned Series I - III XJ6s, I was also rather disappointed when I finally bought a 1965 3.8 S-Type. The upright driving position, vague Burman steering, bench-like front seats (you had to use the front arm rest to stop yourself sliding into the passenger seat when cornering) and moderate performance (even with a manual gearbox they were never able to achieve the performance figures quoted in the press when new) you quickly realised what a huge step forward the XJ6 really was.

You have to adapt to driving an old car. My old Ponton is hard work but brings back memories of thrashing one around East and Central Africa from 1961 to 68

You have to adapt to driving an old car.

You do indeed - and you have to change your driving style accordingly and get used to its (many) foibles.

But many people who like the idea of driving a "well cool old classic car" are not able to adapt or simply can't be bothered.

Love the Daimler! My brother in law has one and funnily enough my son had one for his wedding on Friday. Fantastic day was had by all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom