Mercedes Benz Floating Ipad Screens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claspknife

Car
Mercedes Benz c class 220 amg 2017
I thought I would share an interesting article into the floating screen phenomenon that mb seems to love.

It seems lots of people do not like it, and would prefer it up integrated into the dashboard. I myself don't mind it.

What do you all think??

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/qa-why-does-mercedes-keep-building-cars-floating-screen

32a87f8084e9788d9cd4d8518daede26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I didn't like it, but it's kind of grown on me. I just wish they'd make better use of the display real estate. The sat-nav display (COMAND version) is poor IMHO even compared to a half decent Tom-Tom.

I hate it.. imagine what will happen in 10 years when people want a new HU

I didn't like them either, until I had a couple of courtesy cars with them.

Im yet to hear a single owner with one of these complain.

All the haters are people who have only seen photos of them.

I saw a Mercedes drive past me with the floating screens, plus a phone mounted to the window, and it just looked ridiculous. - I don't know what model it was (C-Class / E-Class).

The problem from my perspective is that they look like an after-thought; like it's something that was stuck on to the dashboard after the car was sold rather than an integrated system.

Did it really upset me when it was in the A-class rental car I had? No, but I did mistake it for a removable piece of trim.

It's easy to make them fold away, Volvo sat navs have been doing so since about 2000

I am a bit surprised at what upsets people though, it wouldn't have rated on my radar

It's easy to make them fold away, Volvo sat navs have been doing so since about 2000

I have never understood the point of having it fold away. :dk: when you're in the car and driving you'd want it there on show. When you exit the car why does it need to fold away neatly when no ones there.

I have liked it from day one. My only (very small) criticism is that it'd look nicer without the thick black frame around the screen.

I hope they keep it on the C Class long enough for me to get my next lease in March 2018

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ambivalent when I first looked at the C, but having now lived with it for 6 months, have to say that the visual/style aspect of it has merged in with the rest of the interior to the point I don't notice it all that much - it's part of the whole, but I do agree with their design logic of having it up high and in your eyeline. I find it to be really good to use. There's less wasted space on the PP/COMAND version too, so that helps it look visually 'lighter'

Interestingly, I gave a lift to a mate the other day and it was almost the first thing he commented on.

Dont like it , looks an afterthought.

Makes it look worse as it has a oversized boarder like an `80`s TV set, why cant the image go all the way to the edge and that way the size can be reduced making it less intrusive. Or conceal it into the dash (like Audi does) when not required.

it is the one thing that may stop me getting a facelifted CLS as opposed to the earlier (11 - 14 ) model.

Kenny

Just looks very fragile and nickable ....

I have a GLC. Asthetically, it spoils the look of the dash. It indeed does look like it was mounted as an after-thought, that they had no room left, but needed a screen...though obviously not the case. Functionally, it does it's job. A couple of people remarked that they'd be concerned some yobo would see it and think it was a generic tablet and try to steal it.

It seems to have been a decision for C class across the board. E class has the functionalitiy integrated into the dash.

Happytalk73 said:
I have never understood the point of having it fold away. :dk: when you're in the car and driving you'd want it there on show. When you exit the car why does it need to fold away neatly when no ones there. I have liked it from day one. My only (very small) criticism is that it'd look nicer without the thick black frame around the screen. I hope they keep it on the C Class long enough for me to get my next lease in March 2018

On Volvo it's just the sat nav screen , so gets the annoying bright screen out of the way when not needed

I have it on my W205 c250 estate and I think it looks fine, really fits in with the look of the rest of the dashboard

On Volvo it's just the sat nav screen , so gets the annoying bright screen out of the way when not needed

That makes sense. But on C Class (for example) the screen is used for many things so I'm not sure why you'd want to fold it away whilst driving. IIRC it's got a button to turn power off for nighttime driving.

Soon we may graduate to the land of the dreaded " touch screen " where in a car devoid of real controls we can all play hunt the Icon/ menu/ submenu in a virtual reality devoid of tangible controls marked hot cold fan radio on off etc - all the while hammering down your local traffic choked motorway at 70 mph--- can't wait! At least in the event of your death they will be able to identify you from the myriad of greasy finger prints on the dashboard floating touch screen now firmly embedded in your skull.

Last edited:
Soon we may graduate to the land of the dreaded " touch screen " where in a car devoid of real controls we can all play hunt the Icon/ menu/ submenu in a virtual reality devoid of tangible controls marked hot cold fan radio on off etc - all the while hammering down your local traffic choked motorway at 70 mph--- can't wait! At least in the event of your death they will be able to identify you from the myriad of greasy finger prints on the dashboard floating touch screen now firmly embedded in your skull.

I hope not Graeme.

I had a touch screen in my last Ford Transit. It's a terrible idea. :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom