Mercedes-Benz Heritage and Technology Centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that looks fantastic - will be well worth a visit when it eventually opens :bannana:

Its open now??

Being in Bracknell, I should be able to get there....
is it open now?

Be a nice day out :)

First_Benz said:
Being in Bracknell, I should be able to get there....
is it open now?

Be a nice day out :)

Brooklands Aircraft & Motor Museum has been open for years It has amongst other things the Halifax bomber they recovered from Loch Ness and are rebuilding

www.brooklandsmuseum.com

The MB Centre is not yet built.

The Mclaren visitor centre was to open around November last I heard

shows my level of knowledge !!!

Satch said:
Brooklands Aircraft & Motor Museum has been open for years It has amongst other things the Halifax bomber they recovered from Loch Ness and are rebuilding

www.brooklandsmuseum.com

The MB Centre is not yet built.

The Mclaren visitor centre was to open around November last I heard

I see... thank you for that... I must see it now ... maybe I will see a Lancaster Bomber too .. always wanted to see one close up !

First_Benz said:
I see... thank you for that... I must see it now ... maybe I will see a Lancaster Bomber too .. always wanted to see one close up !

No Lancaster, but a Harrier and some interesting aircraft you can climb around in if people are on duty.

I think it is worth going just to see the Motoring stuff, especially the Napier-Railton. 12-cylinder 24 litre Napier Lion aero engine, three speed crash gearbox, rear brakes only. Fastest car ever to run at at Brooklands with the 24 Hour record at 150.16mph and its Brooklands Outer Circuit lap record of 143.44mph was never beaten.

And all done between 1934 and 1936: no driver aids, massive leaf springs and very skinny looking tyres. A huge amount of courage required.

The following handy tips from W.O. Bentley’s autobiography on racing at Brooklands in the 1920's & 30's. Modern F1 drivers may hang their heads in shame.

"If the chassis snaps at speed and you survive the initial spin your vision will be blurred by the vibration as you limp back to your pit."

"Your petrol tank is soldered together and is likely to spring a leak some time over the harsh Brooklands bumps. You can bodge it with gum."

"Oil and water pipes break. Your legs can be sprayed with hot oil or water. Do not try to press on at any cost - your mechanics might be able to just tighten up a union or replace a pipe in five or ten minutes."

"If oil is spraying on to your windscreen your vision will be obscured and you will have to slow down."

"If you can not afford enough sets of new tyres for the race you are more likely to have problems. This can happen if you have spent too much time practising before the race and you have used your best tyres up. Alternatively you may have spent too much of your allowance or hard earned cash on good food, champagne and painting the town red, leaving you less to spend on your racing"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom