Mercedes C180 - when I wire dashcam it's always on :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Triplesilk

Car
Mercedes C180
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help - I'm feeling a bit frustrated to say the least.

My car is a 2002 C180 estate and I am trying to hardwire a dashcam. I have the correct kit I think, including an add-on fuse. I'm trying to use one of the fuses in the fuse box under the steering wheel inside the car to provide the power.

The issue is that I only want the dashcam to draw power when the key is turned, but whatever fuse I use powers up the dashcam even without the key being turned. My reading of the fuse key (or whatever it is called) is that some of the things powered by the fuses in this fuse box should only be on when the ignition is turned.

I've attached files that show what fuses should be in this fuse box.

Anyway, any kind of steer would be great!

Attachments

• Fuse 1.jpg
    Fuse 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Fuse2.jpg
    Fuse2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 17
Fuse 43 should do it.
Or take a tap from the back of the fag lighter.

I normally go straight into the engine bay fusebox. Pink/red wire

Thanks both - are you saying I use the fuse box in the front of the car (ie under the hood)? Not sure how daft a question this is, but how would I get the wire from there to inside the car by the rear view mirror?

I still don't get why all fuses I tried have constant power. Some are for things like moving the seat.

Isn't there a delay on the power?

Have you tried waiting for the car to power down?

Fuse 43 should do it.
Or take a tap from the back of the fag lighter.

Do you mean taking come casing off by the lighter / gearbox (as opposed to just using the actual lighter)?

Very easily, drop the bottom panel under the steering column that has bonnet catch on it and put your hand up the back. You will probably feel a lump of foam thats shoved in the hole but once you pull this out you can drop a wire down or push one up into the fusebox

Isn't there a delay on the power?

Have you tried waiting for the car to power down?

The thing is, with the car totally off if I plug the fuse in the dashcam comes on. If I yank the fuse out then it powers off after about 3 seconds but it doesn't turn of otherwise (at least it didn't in the first minute or so I waited).

What year is the car?

Sorry just noticed its 2002

Last edited:
You could also use a smartpower switch so you can use the camera in park mode and it will switch off if battery charge drops so as not to drain it

Very easily, drop the bottom panel under the steering column that has bonnet catch on it and put your hand up the back. You will probably feel a lump of foam thats shoved in the hole but once you pull this out you can drop a wire down or push one up into the fusebox

Thanks - to be clear, someone with no experience but reasonable brave could do this? I'm a bit nervous!

Triplesilk said:
Do you mean taking come casing off by the lighter / gearbox (as opposed to just using the actual lighter)?
Yes - easy enough to do. That is how I did it on my w209 which is pretty much the same as yours.

Edit:
Pull up the centre console trim - it is tight but is just clipped in. Release the ash tray - two clips. Hard to explain but easy when you see it.
Drop the trim under the glovebox or steering wheel and take a tap from the fag lighter to a lighter socket (halfords have them). Make sure there is an inline fuse in the cable.
Plug in the dash cam ( I also wrapped tape around it to keep it in place) and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Thanks - to be clear, someone with no experience but reasonable brave could do this? I'm a bit nervous!

Yes its quite easy and you will only need a T20 torx driver to drop the panel.
Were abouts are you?

Yes - easy enough to do. That is how I did it on my w209 which is pretty much the same as yours.

Edit:
Pull up the centre console trim - it is tight but is just clipped in. Release the ash tray - two clips. Hard to explain but easy when you see it.
Drop the trim under the glovebox or steering wheel and take a tap from the fag lighter to a lighter socket (halfords have them). Make sure there is an inline fuse in the cable.
Plug in the dash cam ( I also wrapped tape around it to keep it in place) and you are good to go.

I usually avoid doing it this way as the power will drop out while the engines cranking so the dashcam will flick on and off and have seen this causing problems and faults on some cameras. The pink/red in the fusebox is +12v while engine cranking

Yes its quite easy and you will only need a T20 torx driver to drop the panel.
Were abouts are you?

I think I have a set of those funny screw ends so I could give it a go - I'll need natural light I guess so I may fiddle about tomorrow morning if I feel brave.

I'm in Cardiff.

Edit:

I did look into installing a new sound system once so looked into this and it would have involved removing the whole panel (including around the gear and cigarette lighter)....it put me off to be honest as it looked like I could mess it up so I'm still using old fashioned CDs.

I think I have a set of those funny screw ends so I could give it a go - I'll need natural light I guess so I may fiddle about tomorrow morning if I feel brave.

I'm in Cardiff.

Bit far away for me to do it for you then as im in ipswich!
Once you lift the top of the engine bay fuse box you should easily be able to see the pink/red wire. Think its 1.5mm

Bit far away for me to do it for you then as im in ipswich!
Once you lift the top of the engine bay fuse box you should easily be able to see the pink/red wire. Think its 1.5mm

Ha yes that's a bit of a trek!

This wire is connected by a normal fuse, so I can use the add on fuse I have?

Excellent, thanks for your help. I'll post again when I've had a go not matter what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom