Mercedes C63 19'' Wheels Buckled!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rox10h

Car
2014 C63 Saloon
Morning All
last week my 2014 C63 (W204) went into mercedes for the big A service. its just hit 22k.

the advisory on the service sheet was that both my front wheels were buckled - this is confirmed by the small vibration i get through the steering wheel at motorway speeds.

The car was bought from a Mercedes dealer, i have got it on a service plan for two years and it still had a years left of used approved warranty. While the warranty doesn't cover wheels, tyres and bodywork etc, i was looking for some sort of good will gesture because of the above. i was not expecting a freebie.

i was met with a very abrupt service manager who was incredibly resilient in helping me what so ever. after making my point a bit clearer, i was offered 10% off a £475 wheel, which id need times two. Good, but i dont think thats good enough really.

..anyone have any experiences with this? i know the optional 19'' wheels are prone to cracking, but buckling? i find it an odd coincidence that both front wheels have cracked when the car only has 22k and is used for motorway commutes..although i appreciate it can happen anytime.

I took the matter to Mercedes online and explained the above, they returned to me this morning extending apologies on the abruptness of the manager and reluctance to help me at all, and also apologized for the fact i had to return to the dealer as they failed to turn my service light off before handing the car back. The chap on the phone did state that its down to the dealer to offer any discounts or 'deals' and that the dealer claimed margins were too tight on the wheels to give any discounts.

mad thing is i had a wheel changed under warranty over Christmas as it started to corrode! although tyhis is classed as a manufacturers fault. Several searches online make it clear these wheels crack and buckle quite commonly which says there must be a design issue with these? or that the tyre and wheel combo just is not for uk roads?

Looks like il be getting stung for replacement wheels. whats your experience with this or similar?

Looks like il be getting stung for replacement wheels.

Not necessarily. Depending on severity, most wheels can be repaired and rebalanced with no vibration.

Yep its what I would expect from Mercedes to be honest.
How about getting the two front wheels to start corroding a bit.
Stick em in a salt bath for a few days and then go back and get them replaced that way if you have to.
Needs must...!

Not necessarily aimed at the OP, but how do Mercedes know whether a customer has been ragging their car about, up and down kerbs etc? And they should pay for this?

There are a couple of sets for sale in the classifieds ;)

Do they know for sure it is wheels? Not tyres or brakes?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Buckled alloy wheels is not uncommon considering today's roads. Did you have the vibration when you first got the car and was it reported? Or has the vibration appeared more recently?

FWIW , wheels dont buckle themselves , potholes , kerbs , speed humps etc. do the damage all of which are outwith the manufacturers responsibilities is is like asking the dealer for a "goodwill" gesture to repair a dent in your door caused by an inconsiderate motorist in the supermarket carpark. :dk:

No harm in trying though.

Kenny

Recently had all four refurbished at Lepsons. Four needed to be straightened, two were cracked and needed some welding.

Can't wait for the advisories to buy 4 new alloys from Mercedes at the next service/MOT.:rolleyes:

Literally rolling around on cookies.

Recently had all four refurbished at Lepsons. Four needed to be straightened, two were cracked and needed some welding.

Can't wait for the advisories to buy 4 new alloys from Mercedes at the next service/MOT.:rolleyes:

Literally rolling around on cookies.

Shocking isnt it, two of mine were buckled also... i'm getting two new tyres fitted and having them powder coated bronze so will have them fully checked (again) when that happens.
No cracks just bad buckles.

I have a CLS55 on 19s and every wheel has been welded (some twice) due to cracks and one was buckled. And no I am very careful to avoid pot holes and go slowly over speed bumps.
I got all mine done at various times at good alloy wheel refurbishment shops. Most can do crack welding and can easily unbuckle a wheel and then re-balance.
You would think a brand like AMG could make wheels a little more durable.

I bought a C63, to my knowledge with all four wheels straight. One night I parked it up after a drive with no issues. I left it there for a few days and when I returned a rear tyre was flat so I suspected a puncture but it was instead a crack that had opened up and slowly released the air.

When I removed the wheel I discovered that prior to my purchase that it had two huge, ugly slug welds on the wheel and one had opened. I decided to inspect the other three wheels, of which the front were good but the other rear was just as bad.

I complained to my dealer and strangely, without an argument they gave me two new wheels and two new tyres. My argument was that the car was this way prior to purchase so, perhaps they checked their records and it was noted, therefore honoured the replacements.

It's not surprising these 19 inch wheels buckle and crack - being such a low profile tyre it is inevitable. There is just no cushion available when hitting potholes in the road:eek:

It's not surprising these 19 inch wheels buckle and crack - being such a low profile tyre it is inevitable. There is just no cushion available when hitting potholes in the road:eek:

Yet aftermarket brands with low profile tyres don't buckle or crack?
Plenty of MB owners complaining about cracked OEM wheels isn't a coincidence. They are poor quality.

On my 125000 mile C55 I had noticed a slight 'flat' on the edge of one of the rear wheels (yes , rear , God knows how that happened) and one of my front tyres needed pumping up weekly .

The lacquer was flaking from the inside of the rears as well. All pretty normal wear and tear on an 11 year old car as far as I was concerned so off they went to my local wheel guy.

All tyres removed, aquablasted down to bare metal , straightened on the lathe (welded if necessary) , powder coated and baked, tyres re fitted and balanced £50/wheel + VAT.

Job Done.

Diamond finished wheels also repaired on site. :thumb:

Yet aftermarket brands with low profile tyres don't buckle or crack?
Plenty of MB owners complaining about cracked OEM wheels isn't a coincidence. They are poor quality.

I had 18's standard then got 19' aftermarket I had one cracked rear wheel so I put a 275 35 on the rear it looks terrible it's way to high profile but thought it would help with the wheels not cracking, now I have a cracked front wheel and other rear is cracked, hence why I have brought new ones (arriving Tuesday) so from my experience aftermarket with big profile still cracks lol I avoid every pothole possible and never go down curbs, I can't get up them anyway lol.

FWIW , wheels dont buckle themselves , potholes , kerbs , speed humps etc. do the damage all of which are outwith the manufacturers responsibilities is is like asking the dealer for a "goodwill" gesture to repair a dent in your door caused by an inconsiderate motorist in the supermarket carpark. :dk:
^ This.

The sad fact is that the combined effect of the parlous state of our roads and very low profile tyres will result in buckled rims just as night follows day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom