Mercedes CL 1998 W140

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bumble

Car
W140
Hello all just wondered if anyone has ideas on this puzzle ! some time ago some electrics not all ( wipers, indicators , electric seats and radio wouldn't work ) would not work but they all came on when I had driven a while ! had a control module changed which seemed to sort it. But it has started again sometimes some of the electrics don't work then the come on , next day they don't and later they do... I am puzzled and so is the garage I use. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

One possibility is battery voltage- its below a threshold when started but charged up by the alternator. Could be a variety of causes--- dodgy battery or some form of parasitic drain overnight or poor earth making intermittent contact.

didnt this era have the dodgy relay issue, something like the 129 relay? often the circuit board needed resoldering?

its also the era of the biodegradeable wiring loom :rolleyes:

Thanks Grober, that does make sense it is more of a problem first thing . that is one avenue that is really worth investigating - will go and get my battery tested ! thanks very much. Cheers

Thanks for that info guydewney will get this info to my garage. cheers

Hello Grober, thanks for that tip Friday - had by battery tested and it was giving 500A instead of 750A and was recommended it was changed. So going to order a new one this week and fingers crossed it sorts this intermittent nature of some of the electrics puzzle. I know very little about cars - never thought this may be it as the car starts and drives fine but know you have suggested this when I think about it it doesn't crank over quite as sharply as it did -- well done cheers

google n10 combination relay.

controls

Turn signal flashing*
Hazard warning flashing*
Turn signal flashing in hazard warning mode*
Hazard warning flashing when anti-theft warning system (ATA) triggered*
Turn signal flashing with trader*
Wiper system*
Heated rear window
1. Turn signal flashing*
The "left" or "right" flashing is actuated by separate wiring.*

Sounds like the battery is dying or shot. I had this on mine, but not the same symptoms. 019 is what you need. Your garage doesn't seem too sharp!

thanks flyspinner - just changed battery - aint sorted my problem - nightmare !

Thanks - interesting ! but when electrics don't work neither right or left indicators work, nor do wipers, nor do electric windows or electric seats on the one side ...... then they all come back on again after a while... strange !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom