Mercedes CLK W209 CAN-BUS Connection?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Skiny

Hi there,

I have a Parrot MKi9200 and have been trying to install the UNIKA component, which is supposed to connect the Parrot to the steering wheel buttons.

I have everything connected up, except for the CAN-BUS wires. Does anyone have any information on this? There doesn't appear to be anywhere to connect them :dk:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks very much for that. I found a similar document online too. Everything is working now :)

For anyone else unsure about the wiring, the two CAN cables have to be hard-wired into the ISO connector, that goes into the back of the stereo.

Two cables from the UNIKA (white and green, if I recall correctly) need to connect up with pins 9 and 11. On the back of the ISO connector, you will see some marked numbers to show which is which.

I tested it with some loose wires first, to make sure it would work. The light on the UNIKA should be green if you've done everything correctly. I ended up connecting the green and white UNIKA cables directly to the cables coming out of the ISO adapter, simply with a parallel wire joining crimp, as seemed to be the easiest way.

The only strange thing is, I initially had an issue with the automatic headlights - they remained on even on a sunny day (sometimes turning off for a second two then coming back on). That seems to have corrected itself now though.

The second issue is, the automatic wipers keep wiping for no reason. I've had to turn them off for now. No idea how that could be connected to the stereo/Parrot, but I'm certain that it is.

Anyway, hopefully that above info will help someone out someday :thumb:

The lights and wipers are controlled by the same sensor behind the rear view mirror.
The one major bugbear I have with my CLK is the automatic wipers. They are useless.

Thanks very much for that. I found a similar document online too. Everything is working now :)

For anyone else unsure about the wiring, the two CAN cables have to be hard-wired into the ISO connector, that goes into the back of the stereo.

Two cables from the UNIKA (white and green, if I recall correctly) need to connect up with pins 9 and 11. On the back of the ISO connector, you will see some marked numbers to show which is which.

I tested it with some loose wires first, to make sure it would work. The light on the UNIKA should be green if you've done everything correctly. I ended up connecting the green and white UNIKA cables directly to the cables coming out of the ISO adapter, simply with a parallel wire joining crimp, as seemed to be the easiest way.

The only strange thing is, I initially had an issue with the automatic headlights - they remained on even on a sunny day (sometimes turning off for a second two then coming back on). That seems to have corrected itself now though.

The second issue is, the automatic wipers keep wiping for no reason. I've had to turn them off for now. No idea how that could be connected to the stereo/Parrot, but I'm certain that it is.

Anyway, hopefully that above info will help someone out someday :thumb:

If you have used Scotchloks to connect the canbus wires, could it be a high resistance causing problems? Better to solder and heatshrink.

If you have used Scotchloks to connect the canbus wires, could it be a high resistance causing problems? Better to solder and heatshrink.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

What do you mean by high resistance? Scotchbloks were what I used, yeah.

I'll attach a picture of a rough layout of what I did.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The wires you connect to on the car's loom should be brown and brown/red twisted together (and the same thickness, dont confuse the brown with the thicker ground connection)

CAN is the car's network. Everything communicates on that so if bad info or interference is on that very odd things happen. CAN will work with just one wire so if you have wire wrongly connected, or a bad connection bad stuff can happen, so you really really should solder those and not scotchlock, and be sure that you don't short them together or short them to ground.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I'm pretty sure those are the wires I connected the UNIKA wires too. The steering wheel controls now seem to work with the Parrot, in the way it's been connected, so I guess they have to be right??

I didn't realize the scotchblok could cause so much trouble though. Do you think soldering it would definitely make that much of a difference? Also, is there any alternative to soldering it? It's in an awkward position, as you can imagine, and plus I don't have the equipment.

Thanks again.

Hi Richard,
The steering wheel controls now seem to work with the Parrot, in the way it's been connected, so I guess they have to be right??
As I said before, CAN will work with just one wire, so this means that it may work but it may not be complete and a lose connection may work but may mess up communication on the CANbus.

Scotchlocks are a rubbish way of making a proper connection. Mercedes have something similar but with a double metal insert, so it makes 2 connections which are a bit better. At minimum i'd use that.

Ideally i'd run CAN connections to the CAN distributor block (in one of the footwell wiring ducts)

It may be easiest for you to disconnect it and see if the same faults still occur.

R

(ps, it splits in two in order to release the connectors, then plug in new connector and put cover/clip back on, and the new connector is locked in place)
R

thanks for your reply. i found it under the driver side foot well on clk. Im not really sure which one is steering control connector to headunit. so i presume i have to unplug the original connector to fit my new connector. I dont really know which one to remove? my cd player works but headunit lights dont lit up :(
Thanks

Attachments

• 20131212_174748.jpg
    20131212_174748.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 29
You plug it into any free slot

It is a 'parallel' bus, i.e everything connects together

R

0kn thank you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom