Mercedes GL420 gives me regular seat belt hugs...... Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveygreen

Car
Mercedes GL420 x164
Hi I'm new here so thanks in advance for any help offered I bought a 2007 Mercedes GL420 last December, and I had a problem that has got more and more persistent the seat belt pre safe operates when I'm driving resulting in the electronic seat belt tensioner operating both driver and passenger go of simultaneously. It is an aggressive pull when it goes off and my wife refuses to drive it now. It used to happen every once in a while but the fault has progressed and I now have the pre safe warning. Since the warning only the passenger side goes off.

Has anyone got a similar experience?

Thanks

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum, Really hope you are able to get it sorted easily and cost effective. Does it it do it when cornering or is it just random?

Thinking a lateral sensor of some sorts??

Thanks for the reply it did it randomly to be honest but it started like 2 out of 10 journeys and progressed to every time I think it has the active dampers as is fully loaded.

I know the offside ride height sensor is dodgy because it sticks when suspension rises to level 3 could that be a start point?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply it did it randomly to be honest but it started like 2 out of 10 journeys and progressed to every time I think it has the active dampers as is fully loaded.

I know the offside ride height sensor is dodgy because it sticks when suspension rises to level 3 could that be a start point?

Thanks

Certainly may well be, The Laterial sensors on my e55k are on top of the Suspension turrets.

It really needs to get any fault codes read by someone with star, I dare say it quite a complicated vehicle, But one which im really growing to like the look of. Which is strange for me as i dont usually like 4x4's.:doh:

Yeah I have thrown a few quid at it already gearbox was slipping and was low on oil amongst other things.

Also command unit freezes and blacks out when switched on first thing!!

I had a l322 Range Rover before and in comparison was more reliable however I will stick by the GL :)

We had it on the same generation ML. Sorry, I can't remember the cause now, it was fixed under warranty. I hope it's a quick and cheap fix.

Thanks hopefully someone will know soon I can find only one reference to a similar fault and that was on a R class where water was ingressing the A pillars

Last edited:
It is an aggressive pull when it goes off and my wife refuses to drive it now.

Has anyone got a similar experience?

Thanks

Hi & Welcome.

Sorry to here of your issues. I'm afraid all I can offer is to suggest that you get it on STAR with a good Independent looking at it (unless you have warranty?)

With regards your wife. I have been there (not your wife). My wife will refuse to drive certain cars after they have gone wrong on her on more than one occasion. Slam Dunk. That's it she will just refuse to drive the car, ever again.

It's a costly refusal to have and one you need to get fixed so that you can both enjoy a great car.

Good Luck.

Bruce

In the past I have found the sudden realisation of the expenses of funding her own car tends to cause a sharp return to reality ;)

Update I have had car at B Griffiths Mercedes Bristol today guy has had car on star looks like driver seat belt has failed causing the internal sensor to act erratically £490 for the replacement keeping everything crossed that this is the issue.

1400 pound bill today ruined lol

To be fair that included mot and reattached oil feed to gearbox cooler and the 2 plastic level sensors on the ride sensors but still licking my wounds

I had a £1600 bill for mine today!

Spookily, all four of those level sensor arms, a new oil pipe to the gearbox cooler. The biggest bit was a new rear diff lock actuator motor (loads of ESP/ABS errors with permanent check lights on).

I feel your pain

Aye, something about there being no gain without it!

She purrs like a kitten again now tho! Amazing how good the suspension is now, it kind of creeps up on you when those arms seize up! You don't realise how bad its gotten.

A good tip is to pop the bonnet after a run. Those v8's don't half cook the front rods with the heat!

The guy said my arms had tuned to jelly. To be fair they should be metal in design.......
before I bought the car the rad and fan had been changed and signs that it had overheated perhaps... engine seems fine now, might explain the arms though

Dpf removal and mapping next

All good so far no more random seat belt hugs seems to have sorted the issue just wanted to get this on the Internet as there was very little information on the issue on line. When I was looking for help.

Happy days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom