Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GLC wheel judder video

To get a feel for the amount of juddering and bouncing I am seeing with my GLC, please take a look at this video taken earlier this evening - hope this works,

www.cncworks.com/tm/videos/glc_judder/judder/GLC_Judder.html

Temperature was around 3 c, damp surface, although no different on a dry road surface

The video doesn’t truly do justice to how much the car bounces and how bad the noise is - very sad MB owner

To get a feel for the amount of juddering and bouncing I am seeing with my GLC, please take a look at this video taken earlier this evening - hope this works,

www.cncworks.com/tm/videos/glc_judder/judder/GLC_Judder.html

Temperature was around 3 c, damp surface, although no different on a dry road surface

The video doesn’t truly do justice to how much the car bounces and how bad the noise is - very sad MB owner

WOW - Yours is even worse than mine, and I thought mine was unacceptable. That is just not right. I can't believe there are so many people on here defending Mercedes as this being normal. Absolutely ridiculous.

The cold weather and the pinging will soon be gone

Whilst I like the picture, this is not really funny for those who are experiencing it. Just try and look at the video above. it is just unacceptable that a car build in 2016 regardless the money we spend on it does this.

Mercedes and people like you are just brushing it away like it is due to the cold weather. Seriously. Funny then that this is the first car of all my cars during the last 40 odd years that I experience is doing this.

It is unacceptable to only be able to drive a 4x4 when the temperatures are above 10 degrees Celsius.

My GL class also on 21" wheels that was traded in for my GLC most definitely did not do that at all.
But it's clearly not just a function of wheel diameter or tyre profile when considering other models such as the GL which has a longer wheelbase and a wider track.

This issue seems to affect all 4WD vehicles built on the same platform (C, GLC, etc.) to a greater or lesser extent, so it really is a characteristic of that design. While I sympathise with those who are unhappy with the trait, I fear that there are only two solutions available to you: learn to accept it or sell the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that there is enough evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, for Mercedes to offer a full explanation to their customers and not leave this to their disparate dealer network, who are clearly not able or equipped to do so.

If it is a characteristic or a feature of the car then why not advertise as such?

4WD/AWD vehicles that exhibit this clonking (chipping is the term used in 4WD circles) do so when a diff is locked and it is NOT considered a feature or a good thing. The exact opposite is true and the first thing to do is unlock the diff to avoid transmission or drive shaft "wind up". Replacing tyres is masking the issue and not fixing it. It must still be happening, but is now masked by the tyre absorbing the still present chipping. The "ackerman" effect is present to some degree (no pun intended) in most modern cars. But it is not exhibited as aviolently as seen in the videos or the complaints as it is absorbed in the tyre wall or tread block movement.

If you went to buy a new car and the salesman said here is a neat characteristic. "When you try to steer, the car clonks and shakes". Would you buy it?

If he then said. "If you don't like this clonking and shaking we can sell you another set of wheels with different tyres that hides the clonking and shaking" Would you buy it.

A characteristic of some Vauxhalls is that they tend to catch fire. That has not proved to be a popular feature with their owners.

Personally. I would not find it acceptable and would be speaking to Mercedes and then to a solicitor.

Last edited:
But it's clearly not just a function of wheel diameter or tyre profile when considering other models such as the GL which has a longer wheelbase and a wider track.

This issue seems to affect all 4WD vehicles built on the same platform (C, GLC, etc.) to a greater or lesser extent, so it really is a characteristic of that design. While I sympathise with those who are unhappy with the trait, I fear that there are only two solutions available to you: learn to accept it or sell the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately that maybe what it comes down to. Rejecting it most definitely if they cannot resolved it. It should come with a warning that the car shakes and shudder when you want to park it up. Would you buy such a car? Characteristic is just a word play to play it down. It's a design fault.

If you Google this question it picks up all sorts of hits some from America. Its clear there's a problem but doesn't affect all AWD cars. The same problem is also mentioned by Porsche and BMW owners who generally don't see it as a big deal and a feature of their particular marque. I just hope after reading all the posts on this problem I will be one of the lucky ones that doesn't have the problem as the last thing I want is to have problems with a new car. Fingers crossed.............

Last edited:
It's becoming rapidly a hot topic on the AMG Private Lounge as well. More and more people coming forward.

Still only one LHD ;)

Wonder if any new C43 owners are experiencing this problem as same platform as the GLC?

Wheel judder and rapid tyre wear

I took a closer look at the tyres on my GLC today and was shocked to see that after just 8,000 miles the tread on the outer edge / 2" strip is virtually worn away, the rears are still like new - yikes.

In my opinion the juddering & bouncing along with such rapid tyre wear is being caused by faulty steering geometry.

I appreciate St13phil's comments, but if MB told customers they would need to fit winter tyres, even when winter hasn't actually arrived, and the standard tyres would only last 12,000 miles, my guess is that 90% of their GLC customers would have gone with an X3 or Audi. I most certainly would have.

This is not acceptable for a family SUV - it's 2017 and we should expect every new car to drive smoothly around corners, especially from an MB!!!

The tyres might be the issue / problem, but MB have to supply an almost £50k car on appropriate wheels and tyres that are fit for purpose.

The MB dealers are shocked by this behaviour, but afraid to say or do anything that might cause a problems with HQ - shocking way to treat high-value customers

I took a closer look at the tyres on my GLC today and was shocked to see that after just 8,000 miles the tread on the outer edge / 2" strip is virtually worn away, the rears are still like new - yikes.
That in itself is interesting for two reasons: 1) It indicates that the chosen suspension geometry is causing significant tyre scrubbing; 2) the juddering / knocking gets worse as tyres wear, so with tyres that worn I would imagine it to be quite pronounced.

Definitely worth pursuing it as an issue with the dealer.

That in itself is interesting for two reasons: 1) It indicates that the chosen suspension geometry is causing significant tyre scrubbing; 2) the juddering / knocking gets worse as tyres wear, so with tyres that worn I would imagine it to be quite pronounced.

Definitely worth pursuing it as an issue with the dealer.

So are you changing your position that this is just a characteristic?

So are you changing your position that this is just a characteristic?
To the extent that there seems to be excessive tyre scrub resulting in premature tyre wear, yes. Tony Mac's post is (unless I've missed something in the multiple threads that are running on this, and if so I apologise) the first quantifiable evidence I've seen reported. That's important because it takes away subjectivity and is easily arguable as not acceptable.

The difficulty with describing subjective assessments on matters like this is that one person's "totally unacceptable" is another person's "minor irritant". By way of example, I watched the video Tony Mac posted yesterday and my first though was that my E63 does exactly that when on full lock on worn summer tyres on cold tarmac - and just as violently. I know that on new(er) tyres in warm conditions, or on winter tyres in cold conditions, it doesn't do it, so I'm unconcerned.

Something else that's interesting from Tony's post about tyre wear is that on the 2WD Mercedes cars I've had that does this, it's the inner edge of the tyre that wears first, while on the GLC it's the outer. Maybe the 4WD system is an influential factor in this too?

Regarding the multiple threads, perhaps one of the Mod's would be good enough to merge them so that all the info is in one place and people don't feel the need to repeat posts?

The news story is gathering momentum, no longer hidden as part of a review but on its own and on the front page.

Mercedes-Benz Refuses to Fix Crabbing Problem on GLC and GLC Coupe | Motoring News | Honest John

It seems like many more people are coming forward now, great to see that some do take this serious and not just brush it away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom