Mercedes GLC Clonking and juddering on near full steering lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had replacement 20" non run flats fitted, which seems to have solved the crabbing but it has introduced a jitter/vibration when travelling at 60/70.

Have anyone else experienced this problem?

Hi,
Did the wheels get balanced properly?
Worth getting their balance checked.
Cheers
Steve

Yes got them rechecked but jitter still present?

Had my car around 5 months now and covered 3,500 miles so arranging to take it back to dealer to have them check out the tyres for any unusual activity. Will take the opportunity of telling them that I am very disappointed at the way MB are dealing with C Class 4Matic owners who are experiencing crabbing issues and see what their response is.

Just had my tyres checked after 3,600 miles and fronts are 5mm, rear 6mm. Not sure what they were new but technician said will probably get around 10-12000 miles from these soft compound ContiSport5's. I'm hoping to get more as do fair bit of motorway driving. Any thoughts on this?:thumb:

90% of the wear on the front tyres (and most of the back) will be happening when you make sharp turns, parking etc.

So, motorway driving will give these poor tortured boots an easier life.

You may even get 10K miles out of them.....

Last time I looked, new tyres have 6-8mm tread depth.

Just had my tyres checked after 3,600 miles and fronts are 5mm, rear 6mm. Not sure what they were new but technician said will probably get around 10-12000 miles from these soft compound ContiSport5's. I'm hoping to get more as do fair bit of motorway driving. Any thoughts on this?:thumb:

Hi,
I believe most tyres start off with 8mm of tread.
Cheers
Steve

90% of the wear on the front tyres (and most of the back) will be happening when you make sharp turns, parking etc.

So, motorway driving will give these poor tortured boots an easier life.

You may even get 10K miles out of them.....

Last time I looked, new tyres have 6-8mm tread depth.

I know it's not exactly comparing like with like but my last car (Audi SQ5 on AO 21's) had good tread depth when I moved it on at 15,000 miles. The car before that was a 2.0 diesel Q5 on 20''ers and those tyres still had life at 27,000 when that got moved on. Hoping to get at least 15,000 at the very least out of current boots but only time will tell. Read somewhere though that the ContiCS5's start life with only around 6mm of tread depth!! But as mine now have 6mm after 3,600 miles obviously that can't be accurate!!

Last edited:
GLC 250D & GLC 250 Coupe.
Update from Melbourne, Australia.
Conti discussions were good, but no joy for rims that are not 21". need to log onto Conti in USA and Europe to see if sold there.
Michelin have not called back, yet ! I'll try the teck guy again tomorrow.
Pirelli have been good and listened to my concerns, will discuss further within their tech cell, chap was unaware GLC issue ?? Referred him to UK/Oz and USA sites. I'm hopeful, but secretly do not think they have anything in the wings.
Tried to track down Vredestein tyre seller. Importer stopped 3 years ago. Have emailed Coy in Holland with request for info on Quatrac 5 model tyre. It seems it is a 'holy grail' solution for some UK owners. Product detail is good with some awards. This is a 100 year company, taken over by large Indian corporate that is expanding through Europe and USA. Hopefully they might have an importer or affiliated seller in Oz, more to follow.
My follow up with MB Dealer in Melb looks like happening tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a positive discussion with support of MB Aust.
Any other ideas or options greatly appreciated. I'm running 255/45 R20 101W.

My follow up with MB Dealer in Melb looks like happening tomorrow. Hopefully it will be a positive discussion with support of MB Aust.
Any other ideas or options greatly appreciated. I'm running 255/45 R20 101W.

Not sure where you're up to but MB UK is supplying owners with sets of All Season tyres. There was a delay getting the 21" size but I think the other sizes are all done now.

Had my car around 5 months now and covered 3,500 miles so arranging to take it back to dealer to have them check out the tyres for any unusual activity. Will take the opportunity of telling them that I am very disappointed at the way MB are dealing with C Class 4Matic owners who are experiencing crabbing issues and see what their response is.
Be aware when my original tyres had uneven, unusual wear, after only 6k miles, down to 3mm outside tread, several inspections by 2 garages, this was not reported at any point.

During my yearly service when they replaced the tyres it was still not reported; I got the original given back to me it was so obvious I was astonished. When I complained, even though the my multiple reports of slidding front wheels turning at low speed. Their response was not that something must be wrong, oh no, the response was 'we were not with you when you were driving' suggesting that somehow it was my driving style; even though in 25 yrs, my driving style caused no problems with any other cars I have driven.

It is scandalous the behaviour of Mercedes Benz!

Oh and by the way, the new tyres are starting to do exactly what the original tyres did when I fist got the car, in the wet going up a car park circular ramp, the front wheels have started sliding again!!

You may wonder why I haven't said anything for a while, what's the point, I have more important things to deal with...

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Be aware when my original tyres had uneven, unusual wear, after only 6k miles, down to 3mm outside tread, several inspections by 2 garages, this was not reported at any point.

During my yearly service when they replaced the tyres it was still not reported; I got the original given back to me it was so obvious I was astonished. When I complained, even though the my multiple reports of slidding front wheels turning at low speed. Their response was not that something must be wrong, oh no, the response was 'we were not with you when you were driving' suggesting that somehow it was my driving style; even though in 25 yrs, my driving style caused no problems with any other cars I have driven.

It is scandalous the behaviour of Mercedes Benz!

Oh and by the way, the new tyres are starting to do exactly what the original tyres did when I fist got the car, in the wet going up a car park circular ramp, the front wheels have started sliding again!!

You may wonder why I haven't said anything for a while, what's the point, I have more important things to deal with...

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

What model MB do you have?

Hi.
What tyres are being fitted to 20" rims.
My tyre size is 255/45 R20 , 101w rating.
Any info either here or PM would be appreciated, we have a250d.
Also what tyres for the 250d Coupe, 255/45ZR20 on front and 285/40ZR20 rear.
I'm in Australia and MB AU look like testing or providing yet unspecified tyres, Would like to be a jump ahead with as much info as possible, epeially if your tyres are now working or more impotant if what has been provided is a 'fail'.
Thanks

Driver 200. I too am having crabbing issues with my GLA 45 AMG (20inchAMG wheels) on full lock, which is every time I pull off my driveway. Having a nightmare time with MB.

My dealer has advised me that Mercedes are going to replace the front tyres on my GLC AMG 43 F.O.C. and told me that they were doing this for anyone who had complained about the "crabbing" issue.

My dealer has advised me that Mercedes are going to replace the front tyres on my GLC AMG 43 F.O.C. and told me that they were doing this for anyone who had complained about the "crabbing" issue.

Does this mean you will have different makes of tyre at the front and rear?

Good news !!
Mercedes and Dealer have come to the Party and are helping.
Fitted today
255/45/R20
Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season ROF tyres x 4.

Made in Germany, MO Extended, Run Flat technology !!!!, rim protector, extra load 105V
Treadwear 560, Traction A, Temp A, side facing out, Wet B, Fuel C and noise 70db.
Drove home in pouring wet and cold, no crabbing, quieter and sooo much better over speed humps, would not know RFT !!
Too wet to stop and check tyre presures. So will run them in for next 500km, that will be weekend. Very optimistic this will be ok. Very surprised RFT !. Just hope M&S rating will give me 40-45000km like Pirelli, but there may be a trade off, time will tell. In US they have a 50000km g'tee, looks like Oz might miss out on this feature.
Cannot source these tyres commercially yet in Oz, hopefully the supply chain will start to stock for replacements.
Thanks for everyone's help and info, really appreciate all contributions - I have learnt a lot. .

Hi everyone - Good to see the discussion continuing.

I have had 4 new tyres fitted and the crabbing continues noticeable on my gravel driveway and slightly on the road.

I am thinking the issue will go back to the Ombudsman over the winter when the temperature cools and I hope that a legal decision will be made to MB. It is clear that MB have tried to sidestep from the actual fault for so long at least cost to them. Soon they will have to rectify the real issue of redesigning the mechanical components for LHD cars.

Please could anyone let me know how many GLC's have been purchased in the UK. I've only seen 4 on the road, although I do live in the countryside. Anyone buying one of these should do their research and link to the problem (Youtube, discussion groups etc) then I suppose buy a different marque - I will never touch MB again - ever.

Regards John

Hi all i have a 2013 ml63 amg i bought the car used and noticed a clunk under hard acceleration and braking but NO tyre juddering under steering lock so the car went to mercedes who replaced the wishbones on the car and when i got the car back now i have got a massive tyre judder when steering lock is on full and even part on, mercedes are telling me that it is normal and they are saying its because i have now got stiffer bushes etc and the front end of my car is tighter i think that they dont believe me when i say the problem was not there before the wishbone change im now ill with the car and its been back 2 times to check alignment i have done about 5k in 12m on new tyres and i now need new front tyres again i know its not a GLC but its the same problem and mercedes have made this problem to a car that never had the problem for 3 years of its life and are denying that this is there fault .

Leemot,

Swing the wheel to full lock. Grab hold of the Track Rod end (at the ball joint).

Pull it sideways (hard) and see if it wil go "over-center", it should be well located and not move much. If it goes over-centre, the Garage has reassembled the steering incorrectly or got the alignment way out....

What side of the tyres is wearing most, inner or outer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom