Mercedes leaving McLaren

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBK

Hi Guys,

Just heard Mercedes Benz are leaving McLaren, to take over Brawn Racing.

K

Should have seen that one coming..

I wonder if they'll sell it to John Towers for a tenner in a few years.

That would explain why the Braun team were at the Mercedes Benz Live event with virtually no sponsors or team.

They turned up with what appeared to be a single truck and that was that.

Hard times in woking, suppose MB have done this due to laclustre peformance from Mclaren this year and may want the talents of ross brawn

McLaren's new road car doesn't use an M-B engine, so possibly this has been known/planned for a while.

McLaren's new road car doesn't use an M-B engine, so possibly this has been known/planned for a while.

Aparently the AMG V8 is too big for the optimum weight distrobution due to its additonal lenght (3cm). There is incredible attention to detail in this new mclaren car

So Mercedes GP, nee Brawn GP will most likely have an all-German driver line up, and Mclaren an all-British driver line up. Interesting.

Looking forward to the 2010 season!!

I'll have a pound on Mclaren winning the first race of the season, with the other driver on the podium.

I suspect MB have wanted a bigger stake than the 40% they hold in Mclaren, but Mclaren have resisted to maintain independence.

Along comes Brawn and a viable alternative team comes along that will be at the top of the pile without a lead time (good for RoI), and who need development budgets to stay at the top now that they're there.

Win-win-win.

MB continue to be associated with two of the top teams, that are likely to be successful over the next few years. They get a majority stake in a team now at what is likely to be cheaper than say after three great years (if Brawn continue to be successful). The move will likely be cost neutrak as cost of the majority stake in Brawn GP will probably be paid for by the 40% stake in Mclaren. The have a contracted engines customer for the medium-long term.

Brawn get the much needed investment to keep them competitive. Brawn can go back to what he excels at without the distraction of being ultimately responsible, and financing everything. The team has continuity because they already use MB engines, and MB were a helping hand to ready Brawn GP for the 2009 season.

Mclaren continue to use an engine that is competitive. They have a couple of years to buy out MB which minimise impact on their finances. They continue to be independent. They will probably continue to enjoy a special relationship with MB, in the way that UK and US do!!

Seems like a good idea all round.

And McLaren get to grow into a new manufacturer, complete with an F1 team and a healthy cross-group motorsport DNA.

Didn't Enzo start out racing Alfas?

ETA - I love that McLaren Press Release
McLAREN AND MERCEDES-BENZ ANNOUNCE REALIGNED LONG-TERM STRATEGIC ALLIANCE

Where were you when you heard that The Beatles announced a re-aligned long-term strategic alliance? :p

We've been under embargo and have been unable to discuss until the official release...

Daimler have been looking to get out of bed with McLaren for a couple of years now - McLaren want to develop cars outside of the MB franchise, but MB wanted to remain in F1 with no suitable way out. So with Brawn looking for a major "partner", McLaren have been looking to raise the finance to buy-out the Daimler shareholding. This has been the stumbling block to Brawn raising major sponsorship this year as Daimler did not want to be tied into longer term sponsorship deals it didn't like (so you can take a stab as to how long this has been in the offing).

The engine agreement has a number of options that could extend out to 2015 (and options beyond that too, but looks unlikely).

Relationships have been "tense" with the furore around McLaren - but the MB brand will still be closely associated with the team.

At a working, day-to-day level not much will actually change at Woking over the next season or two. Both Raikkanen and Button have had their management teams at Woking over the last week - the money is on Button as he'll bring the number 1 with him, although I've heard the technical staff would prefer the Finn.

From a business perspective, the big news is the spin-out of McLaren Automotive from the McLaren group. There is a hint in the press release that the shareholding of automotive may change in th future - perhaps a partnership with another manufacturer? It does make it much easier for the Automotive group to raise the finance it needs to develop new cars.

This has been the stumbling block to Brawn raising major sponsorship this year as Daimler did not want to be tied into longer term sponsorship deals it didn't like (so you can take a stab as to how long this has been in the offing).

First you buy our engines, then... WE BUY YOU! (evil cackle)

It does bring clarity to some confusing elements of Brawn's operation this year, that's for sure.

Raikkonen is a great driver, but is he worth multiples of every other driver on the grid?

I've often thought this as He seems to be pricing himself out of the marketplace, isn't exactly a glowing ambassador for any team. From a business perspective he's a nightmare, from a driving perspective he's right there at the top.

Raikkonen is a great driver, but is he worth multiples of every other driver on the grid?

I've often thought this as He seems to be pricing himself out of the marketplace, isn't exactly a glowing ambassador for any team. From a business perspective he's a nightmare, from a driving perspective he's right there at the top.

Correct. Would you want Raikkonen doing PR events for you?

As far as his driving goes there are days when he 'doesn't show up' and seems to settle for a Sunday afternoon drive, and other days when he is motivated and exceptional.

They better galvanise the bodywork!!! :p

(I only hope the accountants don't start making the decisions)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom