Mercedes Me = Tracker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Does anyone know whether the Mercedes Me app acts as an acceptable tracker for car insurance purposes? I know I can trace my car if I've forgotten where I parked it, provided its within a certain radius (as if i'd ever do that :confused:) however I wondered whether the system could track the car more widely.

Marc

Don't know if insurance companies accepted it, but if you put Geo fence around the car, it'll email you if it moves. However, i don't think it gives you real time tracking, you can find where it was last left and the journey taken too.

Steve

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My dealer said it is not recognised by insurance companies as a substitute for approved tracking devices.

Well this whole security thing has been aired on here only yesterday,the general thinking is if you have a nearly new car and it has keyless go,then it matters not if you have Tracker or your old mum left in the car the scroats can steal the car and stop the tracker without the key,the only thing that came out of those postings was the fitting of I think it was called Auto Ghost which Richard said was great and they fit them at Command as do other people,this is fitted somewhere in the vehicle but in order to drive off you have to press buttons or switches in a set order which only you know,like drives window,hazards ,left hand blinker or something like that this will stop the scroats.

Well smillion you own one of the most stolen cars around,I think the posting I was talking about was that a members parents had there one stolen from their drive in Ilford Essex,I know if I owned your car I would pay the money I suspect fitting the Ghost will not be cheap,I would expect over £400 ,best ask Richard at Command on the Electronics section,but when you can get the scroats just walk up to a keyless car and just open it and start and drive it off,this Ghost stops them they cannot steal it unless they know what buttons and in what order.

Well this whole security thing has been aired on here only yesterday,the general thinking is if you have a nearly new car and it has keyless go,then it matters not if you have Tracker or your old mum left in the car the scroats can steal the car and stop the tracker without the key,the only thing that came out of those postings was the fitting of I think it was called Auto Ghost which Richard said was great and they fit them at Command as do other people,this is fitted somewhere in the vehicle but in order to drive off you have to press buttons or switches in a set order which only you know,like drives window,hazards ,left hand blinker or something like that this will stop the scroats.

I have just the car. as described 3 months old with a "Mercedes Me" Tracker fitted This worked very well when I left the car at Manchester Airport "Meet and Greet" (which was nothing of the sort but that's another story) I flew to Gibraltar and using the app on the iPhone I was able to tell when, how far and to where the car had been moved to the main storage area and on the day of return I could clearly 'see' the car had been returned to the Pick Up area. All well and good and it has continued to re assure me virtually daily that all is well and the car is where I left it.
Now you have ruined my day by telling me that a thief can walk up to my car and drive it away without recourse to the electronic Key fob which I keep about my person at all times. How can this be? How can an IT savvy person of low standing overcome the presumably uncrackable electrikery key code needed to open a Merc and drive it away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom