Mercedes ML270 eps/bas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joderest

Car
2003 ML270 Silver
Hi all
I am new to Mercedes, after 15 years of owning Landrovers, 200tdi, 300tdi and Td5, have decided that the Discovery 3 is too much for me to work on, as getting too old to learn all the "harry Potter" electric thingys !!!
I have just bought, yesterday, after a long search a 2003 ML 270, its had one owner and believe it or not only 36,000 miles from new. As far as I can see, all stacks up and seems to be correct. No rust anywhere, spare unused, drivers seat looks only one sat in, rest like factory fresh. Only one small repair to a door which was pointed out to me on the sale, This was a Private sale, hence no going back now. The bad bit is no books, as old guy who owned it lost them in his move to London, I will overcome that soon. He had a new battery fitted, as has not been used for a few months, but no radio code, but just got that from Mercedes, over the phone, no charge !!!
Anyway, driving it home, on A40, a lorry decided it would like to be where I was, and just started to shove me out the way, I had to really brake to avoid being hit, managed to miss him, said a few naughty words, then looked down and the EPS/BAS light had come on. Due to where I was I could not pull over, car seemed OK, changing up and down, no loss of power. Got to services on M25, turned off, started again, light still on, so took a chance and drove rest of the hundred or so miles home.
Looked on here, some said brake light switch, so had a look, it has not got one !
I have had a look at front brake pads, they are down to about 2-3 mm, so need changing.
I plugged my little OBD scanner in (its only a Maxiscan MS309) and it showed no faults.
OK, question, what am I looking for to fix/reset ?, now I have radio code, could I reset by disconnection negative side of battery, leaving for a while, then connecting up again ?
Any help would be great before I bite the bullet and take to Mercedes (hate being charged to reset something )

Welcome to MBClub!

Sorry I can't help, but are you sure it's not got a brake light switch. When I was reading your post it was the first thing I thought off, as we had one replaced under warranty on our W163 ML270 CDi. It was only about £12 for the part back then though, and a common problem.

Enjoy your car, sounds like a peach. I really miss our W163 ML270, it was a really great car.

Hi, Thanks for welcome, I have liked mucking about on cars since I was a lad, so spannering is no problem, its the electric magic that's gets me. I took the shield off this morning under the drivers dash, there is just a hole where sensor should be, had a look round forums, and read somewhere that on later cars Mercedes moved it to the servo area.

OK, what I have done
Tried my MaxiScan, no faults logged
Tried friends posher one, which goes to his phone, no codes logged
Took wheels off and looked at pads, they are low, could be the sensor is touching disc, but wouldn't that give a code ?
looked at the connection to brake light switch under servo, seems good and brake lights all work
Disconnected battery, left 10 mins, and reconnected.

Light comes on just after engine is started, goes of for about 1 sec after start.
I am now stumped.

Oh well,seems no fix to this issue, so suppose it's off to Mercedes to have my bum kicked by a high price for sorting out

This may well help someone else here.
Took car to a local auto electrician, who hooked up to his system. There were lots of fault codes stored, but he was sure they were all to do with a flat battery at some point (it had a new battery two years ago, so fits) there were also three codes relating to the STEERING ANGLE SENSOR, he also noticed that the steering wheel was slightly off centre, and went on to explain that the system would be fine, unless you were on a motorway driving at 60 odd MPH, the sensor would think you were trying to turn left, but wheels would be straight ahead, hence the sensor would throw the light up. Anyway, he cleared all the faults on the car. It is now at the garage having a four wheel track done, so hope that resolves the issue.
SODS law, the light went off on the way to him !!"!!!!

Ok. They tracked car, said it was spot on. On way home I noticed that steering wheel still slightly off center to the left. The bloody light came back on again, however, was able to reset by lock to lock and light out again.
Question. Been told may possibly be dirt on the sensor. But to clean need to remove steering wheel. How long does battery have to be disconnected before power to airbag is gone. Don't want to set airbag off when removing it.

They are a great car I've had a few
I had a esp bas light and one time it was a brake light switch and next it was electric bushes in the abs pump
Also steering angle sensor can throw it up if tracking is out
If I were you I would also bypass the egr valve and remove your swirl flaps and keep an eye on injectors leaking it will prevent some common issues

Ok. They tracked car, said it was spot on. On way home I noticed that steering wheel still slightly off center to the left. The bloody light came back on again, however, was able to reset by lock to lock and light out again.
Question. Been told may possibly be dirt on the sensor. But to clean need to remove steering wheel. How long does battery have to be disconnected before power to airbag is gone. Don't want to set airbag off when removing it.
As soon. As you disconnect the battery your good to go

Thanks, is there a set procedure for disconnecting battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom