Mercedes s204 brake fluid leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stardelta

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi brabus estate
Just been to pick the wife up, pulled up to let her in and the brake pedal sunk lower than usual, proceeded to drive home and decided to pull over to check fluid level, it was 10mm below the high mark, drove the rest of the journey, luckily only a few minutes up the road, when home rechecked fluid level and has dropped further, checked under car and found fluid leaking by near side rear wheel within the undertray, so I guess the pipe has corroded, has anyone else had this problem, didn't expect it on a nine year old car

Have you had any advisories for corrosion on the brake pipes?

You need to check exactly where the leak is from, it could b the pipes or it could be a flexible hose or calpier.

Not sure if the layout is similar but my C class rear pipes cost £600 as the fuel tank has to be dropped.

My guess a flexible hose has been damaged. This might be road debris or during servicing e.g. rear disc renewal where the caliper may have to be removed??
pic01.jpg

No advisories on mot, leak is above undertray and not the flexible to the caliper, I guess they don't check above tray on the mot, just the bits visible

Does anyone know what is involved in changing rear brake pipes on the s204 estate?

Update- rears pipes rotted through, had them replaced with genuine Mercedes ones and all in cost was 465.00, really disappointed that this has happened on a 9 year old car

I need to look at mine as the last MOT gave an advisory for "slight corrosion" on the rear brake pipes. Assuming it is only surface corrosion I'll just clean them and coat with waxoyl. The original brake pipes on my W201 lasted 25 years with that treatment.

Brake pipes do rust but I agree, failure in 9 years is a poor show. On that basis if they do need replacement I won't be using genuine MB ones.

Disgusting that Mercedes uses a brake line that rusts:fail

Why didn't they use a pipe with a copper component?

Must be the bean counters :doh:

I agree, really didn't expect failure at such a young age, I have had plenty of cars over the last 30 odd years and none of them have corroded to the point of dumping their brake fluid on the floor, apparently the brake pipes run under plastic wheel liners and the main undertray so perhaps that is why they corrode as when they get wet they don't get sufficient air to dry out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom