Mercedes tyre 'skipping' - official statement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FFS Mercedes, Sort it out! This isn't really what you would expect of someone who invented "The Car" is it??

My w211 doesn't seem to suffer this

That's the same issue I get with our A250. Same noises, same juddering, but most importantly as far as I'm concerned, the same tyre wear! It's only done 3067 miles, yet the fronts look like they'll need changing very soon. Never have I gone through a set of tyres in 10 months.

"Built to a budget" to maximise profitability.

What are the cheapest components they can get away with using without having to offer a recall and annoying customers too much whilst resting on the laurels of the MB image of old.

I guess they are still finding out!

That's the same issue I get with our A250. Same noises, same juddering, but most importantly as far as I'm concerned, the same tyre wear! It's only done 3067 miles, yet the fronts look like they'll need changing very soon. Never have I gone through a set of tyres in 10 months.

That's shocking. The front's on my XC60 last for about 25k (a lot of motorway miles that obviously).

It's certainly a cost that I didn't factor in to ownership.

I haven't been on here for a little while as I sold the CL600 and got an Audi S8. Have to say, despite the fact it's four wheel drive and features reasonably large tyres (275/35 20") all round I don't got this issue at all. That said, I've got a turning circle akin to your average oil tanker, with very limited lock on the steering - can't help but wonder if that was Audi's solution. 180 degree turns now often become three pointers, but there's certainly no skipping.

Mercedes is now making prospective car owners sign a waiver that they are aware of this 'characteristic'. Oh dear oh dear; what a mess they got themselves into.

I'm glad that the noise we have been making is helping prospective owners to get into this with their eyes wide open. Still doesn't help us owners though :(

Mercedes is now making prospective car owners sign a waiver that they are aware of this 'characteristic'. Oh dear oh dear; what a mess they got themselves into.

What happens if people don't I wonder...

What happens if people don't I wonder...

I more wonder about who would be willing to sign a piece of paper which basically states that the car is rubbish and will shake violently but I believe the sales person that it is normal and here if my £55K...

Would anyone truly do that?

You did. (Metaphorically speaking) :)

dejongj said:
I more wonder about who would be willing to sign a piece of paper which basically states that the car is rubbish and will shake violently but I believe the sales person that it is normal and here if my £55K... Would anyone truly do that?

Or I signed a bit of paper that signs away any future claim If (for example) a steering vibration was a wheel falling off.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Not wishing to create an argument, just some perspective. As I said both my fiats do this in cold weather on full lock. Volvo used to add lock restrictors to cars with wider tyres, quite probably for this reason as it's often quite chilly in Sweden.

With MB we benefit from a tight turning circle, for which the front wheels can go to some extreme angles (handy too for drifting).

Not wishing to create an argument, just some perspective. As I said both my fiats do this in cold weather on full lock. Volvo used to add lock restrictors to cars with wider tyres, quite probably for this reason as it's often quite chilly in Sweden.

With MB we benefit from a tight turning circle, for which the front wheels can go to some extreme angles (handy too for drifting).

Hey, this is a discussion forum. I just don't get that when even Mercedes themselves are acknowledging that this is an issue that people still defend their position that it is ok as their vehicle does it as well. Even motoring journalists are picking up on it. Mercedes is asking customers to sign a waiver for complaints.

And you still think it is normal?

I don't want an argument either, but I find it remarkable that despite all this people are still making excuses for it.

dejongj said:
Hey, this is a discussion forum. I just don't get that when even Mercedes themselves are acknowledging that this is an issue that people still defend their position that it is ok as their vehicle does it as well. Even motoring journalists are picking up on it. Mercedes is asking customers to sign a waiver for complaints. And you still think it is normal? I don't want an argument either, but I find it remarkable that despite all this people are still making excuses for it.

+1

They should all take 'the GLC Challenge ' and then make comparisons when they've actually driven one.

I can't help thinking this is a symptom of the modern trend for ever more wider tyres on ever more taller wheels.

All of which are completely unnecessary for grip and handling.

I can't help thinking this is a symptom of the modern trend for ever more wider tyres on ever more taller wheels.

All of which are completely unnecessary for grip and handling.

I agree that tyre widths and profiles have become a fashion item at the expense of function not to mention most of the owners don't really need 4WD in the first place but MB still shouldn't sell cars with this jumping problem.

I agree that tyre widths and profiles have become a fashion item at the expense of function not to mention most of the owners don't really need 4WD in the first place but MB still shouldn't sell cars with this jumping problem.

Trouble is the owners don't need to spend so much on a car.

So the like of MB need the customers no buy things that we don't need like 4WD in order to upsell from the Toyota Aigos and Ford Kas we'd all otherise be driving.

It sounds like the easy way to deal with this would be to delete the sillier wheel and tyre options from the brochure and price list. except in marketing terms it's not that easy because people will buy X3s and Q5s instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom