Mercedes tyre 'skipping' - official statement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is really unbelievable. The car literally jumps all over while turning. Keep pushing them and they will have to respond to this.
I remember a story of a guy who parked his Audi TDI with disintegrated oil pump (well known VAG TDI issue) and knackered engine in front of Audi with large banner because they refused to accept a claim and compensate a loss. So why don't you all GLC's make a joint tour visit of MB UK? Maybe then they will hear this characteristic

I'm waiting for a bulk delivery of these costumes :bannana:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FDMEYS8/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

This is really unbelievable. The car literally jumps all over while turning. Keep pushing them and they will have to respond to this.
I remember a story of a guy who parked his Audi TDI with disintegrated oil pump (well known VAG TDI issue) and knackered engine in front of Audi with large banner because they refused to accept a claim and compensate a loss. So why don't you all GLC's make a joint tour visit of MB UK? Maybe then they will hear this characteristic

Good idea at least they will hear you all coming!! Sorry couldn't resist but not such a bad suggestion.

Sweet Jesus that is just carp on an expensive car, no sorry, any car.

What's the next step then? Interesting that the front camber is out, almost symmetrically too, and not massively out of spec range - kind of suggests an intentional setup rather than an error. The absolute figure isn't outrageous either is it. Are the figures the geo place used guaranteed to be the latest spec from MB?

Gut feeling is that it won't make much difference even dialled back to the low end of spec. given the large caster angles and the amount of camber change on lock.

It's looking more and more like they screwed up the clutch slip setting on the UK spec cars isn't it.

(And I should say, probably like quite a few who hadn't actually experienced this, my initial thoughts & comments where it was 'the usual' for a car of this type. Happy to admit I was way off - this is clearly messed up)

Keep plugging away - they can't ignore it forever.

What's the next step then? Interesting that the front camber is out, almost symmetrically too, and not massively out of spec range - kind of suggests an intentional setup rather than an error. The absolute figure isn't outrageous either is it. Are the figures the geo place used guaranteed to be the latest spec from MB?

Gut feeling is that it won't make much difference even dialled back to the low end of spec. given the large caster angles and the amount of camber change on lock.

It's looking more and more like they screwed up the clutch slip setting on the UK spec cars isn't it.

(And I should say, probably like quite a few who hadn't actually experienced this, my initial thoughts & comments where it was 'the usual' for a car of this type. Happy to admit I was way off - this is clearly messed up)

Keep plugging away - they can't ignore it forever.

It is the latest from Hunter, but you ask indeed the same question as Mercedes has, they are verifying to ensure that they have had the absolutely correct settings. I suggested to Mercedes that before they start swapping parts and getting their spanners out they should do their own check as well to satisfy themselves with their latest data.

Their immediate cause of action will be to follow the route of the correction bearings to get the camber within specification. We will have to see what happens there after.

I just want to give them every opportunity to resolve this :thumb: and remain (naively) hopeful they can. If not, then there is no other option but to reject supported by the evidence of the attempts to rectify it.

I wish I understood more of what's being said here lol

Can you put all this into laymans terms?

Thanks in advance!

Camber is whether the wheel sits exactly vertical or leans in or out at the top. The spec is -30' or half a degree which means the wheels should lean in a little at the top. The actual measurement exceeds that spec so the wheels are leaning in more than they should.

The usual reason for negative camber is so that under cornering forces the wheel will tend to become vertical. Think of F1 cars which have a very obvious negative camber.

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if a little extra negative camber is the cause of the problem as under full lock the castor angle causes a huge change in camber angle.

Well well well - Mercedes just came back and suggest the target data is wrong. If the correct target data is used then my vehicle will be within specification (wow clever that ;)).

Quite remarkable - so Wednesday a week I'll be going into Mercedes and they'll proof that nothing is wrong with my vehicle. Brilliant - so why does it do what it does then? All is normal right Mercedes?

Grrrr

I'm not surprised it's in spec really. Manufacturers tend to be pretty good at getting the settings right on the whole. The variance in camber looks Ok if you accept the spec is closer to 1 degree and although that's moderately high for a road car, it's not for a performqnce one like an AMG.

It's still pointing to a basic error on the 4wd system isn't it. :(

As I understand it C43, E43 and GLC43 all have increased negative camber over their ordinary counterparts.

I'm not surprised it's in spec really. Manufacturers tend to be pretty good at getting the settings right on the whole. The variance in camber looks Ok if you accept the spec is closer to 1 degree and although that's moderately high for a road car, it's not for a performqnce one like an AMG.

It's still pointing to a basic error on the 4wd system isn't it. :(

Wheels in Motion aren't accepting Mercedes's response ;) We'll have to see next week. It is tedious but I've got to let them go through the motions unfortunately.

Wheels in Motion aren't accepting Mercedes's response ;) We'll have to see next week. It is tedious but I've got to let them go through the motions unfortunately.

The plot thickens! I admire your thoroughness/persistence/measured response on this I have to say.

Having to swap lower arm bushes to adjust camber is a PITA, is there any chance you could fit camber adjusting bolts instead as a (relatively) quick, easy and importantly, easily put back to stock, test? I know they are usually used on struts but not being familiar with the suspension setup on your car, i don't know if they could be used, even perhpas just to test rather than a permanent fix.

I can see that reducing the camber closer to upright would have a reasonable impact on camber taken up on lock, but how much that would mitigate the root problem is another thing. It would reduce ultimate cornering grip though.

The plot thickens! I admire your thoroughness/persistence/measured response on this I have to say.

Having to swap lower arm bushes to adjust camber is a PITA, is there any chance you could fit camber adjusting bolts instead as a (relatively) quick, easy and importantly, easily put back to stock, test? I know they are usually used on struts but not being familiar with the suspension setup on your car, i don't know if they could be used, even perhpas just to test rather than a permanent fix.

I can see that reducing the camber closer to upright would have a reasonable impact on camber taken up on lock, but how much that would mitigate the root problem is another thing. It would reduce ultimate cornering grip though.

As you may appreciate I do not want to do anything to the car without consent from Mercedes Benz UK. So perhaps it is possible but I'd want them to find the solution and correct the car, not give them any reason to suggest it is my own doing.

In the meantime the latest campaign, live since this morning is; Dear Garry Savage, there is something you need to know.

Directly aimed at the CEO of Mercedes UK. Posts are starting to flood in from owners, and the page is beginning to build nicely. Only registered and verified users will have access to a form that will make a post automatically on that page.

https://www.mercedescrabbing.org/dear-gary-savage-something-know/

So if you aren't registered yet, please do register and make your voice heard.

Looking at the video earlier in this thread, It appears the the wheel/tyre is deperate for a different angle for the turning circle. Having a strip of black paint as a tyre is never going to 'give' as much as a taller sidewall. Looks infact, at one part of the video that the tyre is considering parting from the rim.

If this was a differential/slip issue, then the wheel and tyre would not move out of angle much, if at all, and you would just be putting a serious amount of pressure and strain on the drive train.

Of course back in the day of UJ's, judder was an issue. CV's, on the whole solved that.

Just at work musing over the problems. Not a technical person so this is just me thinking out aloud :)

Last edited:
As you may appreciate I do not want to do anything to the car without consent from Mercedes Benz UK. So perhaps it is possible but I'd want them to find the solution and correct the car, not give them any reason to suggest it is my own doing.

I forgot to mention, could the place you had the geo checked do a measurement of Ackerman angle as well? That might be pretty telling. If not, it's not that hard to DIY that anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom