Mercedes tyre 'skipping' - official statement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Didn't know that, they email me a form.

Either way its gonna take me a bit of time to get it done as my arthritis is pretty bad and I can't sit at a computer more than 15 mins every few days.

I'll call DEKRA on Monday as I might be able to get that bit done quicker.

Hi Hallra. I was just cleaning my car and noticed this.

We have most definitely not kerbed it. The markings look to me the rubber from the rim protector that are imprinted. And on the passenger side there is a little dent. As per one of my videos I suspect the tyres folding to the extreme and even having broad my rim in contact with the road. I wonder whether you have similar markings and whether that is at the root cause of your weird accident.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 59
Hi Hallra. I was just cleaning my car and noticed this.
I get similar witness marks on the rims of my E63 and my wife's SLK55, caused by rolling through potholes.

I get similar witness marks on the rims of my E63 and my wife's SLK55, caused by rolling through potholes.
Yes I have these marks, without ever curbing, i was told by the garage its caused by potholes.

Funny that I've never experienced it with any other car... Plus the tyres are bigger than the rims, which would protect them from most things apart from those annoying rough half height curbs that some councils annoiyingly use.

That grinding metal noise you sometimes get when the wheels are crabbing is definitely an indication something metal is grinding!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

Last edited:
Yes I have these marks, without ever curbing, i was told by the garage its caused by potholes.

Funny that I've never experienced it with any other car... Plus the tyres are bigger than the rims, which would protect them from most things apart from those annoying rough half height curbs that some councils annoiyingly use.

That grinding metal noise you sometimes get when the wheels are crabbing is definitely an indication something metal is grinding!! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to put two and two together.

Don't forget that 2 + 2 in MBWorld = 964.99999 recurring!! But maybe that's exactly what we need to fight our corner... a blooming Rocket Scientist why hasn't anyone thought of that?????

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt that your car has always done THIS :) I appreciate the comment but to many people are confusing this for some ordinary occasional skipping. No GLC is delivered on Run Flat Tyres for a year now. It does it regardless of wheel/tyre dimensions.

Further more and most importantly. It does it at temperatures where you reasonably can't expect to be running on winter tyres. Only this morning we go a report in from Australia. The notion is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong wrong I'm sure winter tyres will mask the issue. I'll be damned to spend another £4,500 with Mercedes on wheels and tyres to be able to use my car for more than six months each year. In addition to £600 each 5,000 miles on new front tyres.

My car has done this crabbing effect OK granted no way near as bad as in the video, but it does/did do it the extent of making my suspension creaking and clanking no BSing
I'm convinced the run flats was the course of my tyres skipping, but like I say since changing to normal tyres and a different brand, from continentals to Goodyears the tyres scuffing has all but gone.

And the tyres fitters recommended the PSI 38 fronts 36 back on 18" wheels.
Done approximately 2tho miles on themy now and tyre wear is even across the width of the tyres so don't think they are over inflated. Why do these pressures seem a little high.
Cheers
Ben:thumb:

It still mystifies me why owners even contemplate fitting winter tyres as a 'cure'. (Or 'mask').

If Mercedes sold you a car and said "in standard spec it will be a bit bouncy and noisy at low speed going around corners, but if you add this 'winter pack' for £XK, it will them become a lot smoother.........."

"Oh and by the way, be prepared for replacing the tyres at a cost of £1,200 twice as often as if you had bought an X3/Q5"

?

It still mystifies me why owners even contemplate fitting winter tyres as a 'cure'. (Or 'mask').

If Mercedes sold you a car and said "in standard spec it will be a bit bouncy and noisy at low speed going around corners, but if you add this 'winter pack' for £XK, it will them become a lot smoother.........."

"Oh and by the way, be prepared for replacing the tyres at a cost of £1,200 twice as often as if you had bought an X3/Q5"

?

Yep totally agree but I feel the only way to put MB's theory to the test would be to fit wt's and see what happens. But of course that will b expensive and unless your friendly MB agreed to reimbursement you the money if it didn't work then no one is going to take the risk. But when summer comes and this problem is still around what will MB say then?

My car has done this crabbing effect OK granted no way near as bad as in the video, but it does/did do it the extent of making my suspension creaking and clanking no BSing
I'm convinced the run flats was the course of my tyres skipping, but like I say since changing to normal tyres and a different brand, from continentals to Goodyears the tyres scuffing has all but gone.

And the tyres fitters recommended the PSI 38 fronts 36 back on 18" wheels.
Done approximately 2tho miles on themy now and tyre wear is even across the width of the tyres so don't think they are over inflated. Why do these pressures seem a little high.
Cheers
Ben:thumb:

No I think the pressure is correct as I have 19's and recommended pressure is 260kPa (37ish psi) all round. Will be interested to see how this whole story develops as it really isn't going to go away any day soon. Having said that when summer arrives and this problem is still around can't imagine what MB will have to say!!

The fact that different drivers experience this to differing degrees suggests it's due to something more than just suspension geometry?

The fact that different drivers experience this to differing degrees suggests it's due to something more than just suspension geometry?

MB says change your tyres to winters' and all will be well. Well as no one has actually had a chance to do this then MB can keep chanting this until the summer arrives in the hope that it goes away......

Just remember tyre pressure is important. I always run towards the upper recommended pressures.

Pressure is higher in heavier cars it is the air that is supporting the weight of the car. More pressure means smaller contact area so reduced grip.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Just remember tyre pressure is important. I always run towards the upper recommended pressures.

Pressure is higher in heavier cars it is the air that is supporting the weight of the car. More pressure means smaller contact area so reduced grip.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

TPMS is standard, pressures are run in line with manufacturer recommended values.

If that were true, something would have broke or worn out by now and we know the cause for sure.........two & two makes five, doesn't it?

Russ

If that were true, something would have broke or worn out by now and we know the cause for sure.........two & two makes five, doesn't it?

Russ

Well to be fair it's probably way too early for this problem to manifest itself in anything but tyre wear but that will probably change in time.

Russ

Why would you feel the need to make such a statement.... says everything....

If you own one of these cars and feel there isn't a problem, no need to say anything is there... as you aren't concerned about it.

If you don't own one, you have no knowledge of the issue at hand, are ignorant of it and again you statement makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you feel the need to make such a statement.... says everything....

If you own one of these cars and feel there isn't a problem, no need to say anything is there... as you aren't concerned about it.

If you don't own one, you have no knowledge of the issue at hand, are ignorant of it and again you statement makes no sense.

Simply stating a fact, if metal was grinding as you say, then something would have broke or worn out by now, but nothing has been reported along those lines. You are making a wild statement with no back up until proven otherwise.

Russ

Simply stating a fact, if metal was grinding as you say, then something would have broke or worn out by now, but nothing has been reported along those lines. You are making a wild statement with no back up until proven otherwise.

Russ

If you think of it as 'the sound of grinding metal', then I could concur with that.

The first time you experience it, it could be mistaken for a totally collapsed wheel bearing or CV joint.

Imaging a sort of 'scrape-bang-scrape-bang-scrape-bang' etc etc So pronounced that anyone inside or outside of the car looks a little scared and curious, when they hear it for the first time.

Russ

If I recall I'm stating what I've heard which isn't a wild statement at all, have you been in my car and heard it? I also recall seeing videos where unusual noises are heard.

This points to something making a noise it shouldn't be, something is causing that noise, that something wasn't engineered to do that, therefore there is a fault with it.

I'm showing genuine concern about a car that is doing something it isn't designed to do and a manufacturer who is denying anything is wrong with their cars.

I don't own one and haven't driven one but just listening to the videos I couldn't be persuaded that in the long term that noise isn't going to do some harm. It sounds like wind up and then slippage in the transmission system. MB saying that won't cause premature wear has to be nonsense. How could they know anyway unless they tested one to destruction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom