Mercedes Viano electrics turning off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyScantz

Car
Mercedes Viano ELWB Ambiente CDi 3.0
Hi all.
I have tried to search but cannot see anything.

Basically. When I turn my ignition on and start my vehicle, my electrics turn off but the engine starts and the vehicle runs fine. I just dont have any instrument lights, brake lights etc. Its like the ignition is not turned on.
After a few turns of the key and some patience the electrics stay on.
I do notice that turning the ignition key is starting to feel like the steering wheel lock is on at times but it isnt.
Any suggestions?

Vehicle: Mercedes Viano cdi 3.0 V6 2007.

Thanks in Advance.

You could try a replacement key. We had all sorts of weird things happen because the key was faulty. Failing that could be the SAM. Everything turned on fine when ours failed but all the rear lights would go out.

Needs to go on Star and see whats cracking off. Where abouts are you ?? plenty of recommended independants on here .

Nick

Thanks for the reply. I am in Liverpool. Its actually at the garage now getting a service and they will have a look see whats up. At a glance he thinks it may be the barrel section that key goes into as that it becoming more harder to turn.

Will post my findings anyway.

Well the key wont turn anymore unless I force it and then I can hear something click and it turns and nothing happens. Mercedes have told me I need to buy a new key first before I can go any further on Diagnosis. £234.00 for a new key :/ and then if its not the key I will be looking at £460.00 for a new barrel plus £200.00 to programme it all. I definately need a new key though before they can even run the diagnostic on it.

Happy days for my pocket.

Well the keys have gone up a bit our replacement was £160. I thought the new keys didn't need coding which the earlier ones did. You just plug it in and it tells the vehicle " Hello I am your new key" and that's it. Before anyone accuses me of being infantile that is exactly what I was told. But the Viano is an expensive vehicle and from experience any remedy for a fault is always expensive.

Update and Solved. Thanks to RMK in Birmingham. my Key was the fault and the EIS was also on its way out. Turns out the current key was not even a genuine Mercedes key.
They gave me a brand new genuine key and repaired the EIS all for £400.00 with warranty. So I saved myself in the region of £575.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom